As a mature, educated, responsible, self-respecting medical professional....

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Ya except egg yolks don't potentially cause harm to others through second hand exposure.

And you're not filling a snapple bottle with egg yolk spit at work, either. :)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Ya except egg yolks don't potentially cause harm to others through second hand exposure.

I still haven't gotten an answer as to my sunflower seed question. Not directed at you Chase, just everyone in general.

If you don't like chew spit do you let your partner chew sunflower seeds in the cab or at station? They are just as, if not more nasty looking and smelling than chew.

med51fl

Forum Lieutenant

That is true, but neither does dip. My statement was meant as a sarcasim since this thread seems to be getting much too serious. However, if we want to ban things that potentially cause harm through second hand exposure, start with the ambulance itself. It produces way more CO and cancer causing toxins than the cigarette or dip.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I still haven't gotten an answer as to my sunflower seed question. Not directed at you Chase, just everyone in general.

If you don't like chew spit do you let your partner chew sunflower seeds in the cab or at station? They are just as, if not more nasty looking and smelling than chew.

My personal opinion...It's pretty much on the same level. If your playing baseball in park then go for it but I wouldnt want you chewing seeds in the ambulance or at the station. No matter what it is (dip, seeds, etc) a clump of crap in your lip and constantly having to spit just looks unprofessional.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
My personal opinion...It's pretty much on the same level. If your playing baseball in park then go for it but I wouldnt want you chewing seeds in the ambulance or at the station. No matter what it is (dip, seeds, etc) a clump of crap in your lip and constantly having to spit just looks unprofessional.

That's what I was wondering. It seems like seeds shouldn't be allowed if tobacco isn't but that's just my personal opinion.

Like I said, I chew, I chew at work. I don't chew on scene. I'm discrete about it and chew pouches at work, I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't know I had one in unless you saw me spit and they are easier to deal with than long cut. If a partner voices a negative opinion about it I wont chew in front of them.

I understand the professional aspect of it but why is it that we have to be 100% professional 100% of the time if we are out of the public eye. The best work environments are the ones where people are comfortable and actually enjoy being at work. I personally can't stand working with a total tightwad but that's just me. When it comes to patient care or being in the public eye you can bet that I'm the first to say something if I don't like what someone is doing but in my down time do we really have to be so tightly wound up? To each their own I guess.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
My biggest issue with folks that chew is their spit containers.

I should never need to remove someone else's spit waste from a vehicle, or the crew room.

Another issue I have is that many places have tobacco-free environment rules, yet management on down chews in the building and trucks. They wouldn't dare smoke, but having a lip full of dip is somehow OK.

I am with you, Mycrofft... I just don't get why we consider smoking to be OK, even encouraged. I'm just as guilty as everyone else of going outside to "hang out" while people smoke - I know I'm taking time off my life with the secondhand smoke exposure, but it's socially correct to do it, I guess.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I should never need to remove someone else's spit waste from a vehicle, or the crew room.

I will absolutely agree with this. I never leave my spitters around, it's either capped and tucked between the seat and the center console or capped and in my back pocket. There's no reason to make someone else have to clean up after you.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
....how, as in many threads on here, can you ever justify smoking, chewing or other means of tobacco use?

:)

I am human. Certain stimuli make me feel good. No need for me to justify something you can't stop me from doing.

(I quit tobacco 15 years ago, but understand the territory.)

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
My biggest issue with folks that chew is their spit containers.

Another issue I have is that many places have tobacco-free environment rules, yet management on down chews in the building and trucks. They wouldn't dare smoke, but having a lip full of dip is somehow OK.

I am with you, Mycrofft... I just don't get why we consider smoking to be OK, even encouraged. I'm just as guilty as everyone else of going outside to "hang out" while people smoke - I know I'm taking time off my life with the secondhand smoke exposure, but it's socially correct to do it, I guess.

One of the first jobs I had was at a car dealerships where everyone smoked. People would constantly take smoke breaks, usually when we were busy so they would avoid working. So I started to take fresh air breaks....my boss didn't like that idea.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
frabz-McDonalds-being-the-official-restaurant-of-the-Olympics-Is-like--82f083.jpg

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
As a mature, (I learn from more than punishment and consider others).
educated (I believe in the results of medico-scientific research, part of which repeatedly reveals all tobacco use is harmful, addictive, and helps creates a culture of its continued use)
responsible, ( I don't need to be shepherded once I learn something is going to kill me slowly, expensively, and with great detriment to my significant others)
self-respecting (I don't want to affect my health and possibly die slowly, expensively, and with great detriment to my significant others)
medical professional (See all above).

There's no need to justify to me or anyone else who isn't directly affected, but it's like making lunch dates with members of the opposite sex; if you have to sneak around, think twice about its advisability.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
As a mature, educated, responsible, self-respecting medical professional...
...you're one of around ten on the forum.

all tobacco use is harmful, addictive, and helps creates a culture of its continued use
This is where I disagree with workplace tobacco bans, and a lot of other tobacco prevention efforts. Nicotine's not very harmful unless you have large wounds or a recent transplant. Oral tobacco use is markedly less risky than smoking, and uncured tobacco (usually snus) is even less risky. The goal should be to get employees to stop smoking at any cost, even if it requires snus, Nicorette, and e-cig vending machines in the break room.

That said, it's considered disrespectful around here to dip/chew gum/etc. in front of people. That's not a tobacco-specific problem; it's a problem with the way employees present themselves. A bottle of spit in the truck is just another piece of your partner's trash; they should clean it up, and if it's icky, find them an opaque bottle.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
It's impolite to drink, eat or groom in front of people also.

I'm glad it's less dangerous.:huh: