Are you a DNR?

Are you a DNR?

• Total voters

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Seeing what you have seen on calls, knowing what happens in an arrest, are you a DNR?

I have a living will stating if I am in a prolonged vegetative state or have a terminal condition I do not want resuscitation to prolong my pain. yada yada yada. Health care proxy has final decision and has permission to donate my organs for the purpose of transplant only.

I have had this for a while, but on one of my EMS ride alongs, it was respiratory to distress, upgraded to full arrest. Upon arrival you could see the whole ambulance shaking rhythmically with CPR. That kind of reassured my decision.

This is just a curiosity question.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
I don't have one yet, but I plan to get one in the near future, but I am an organ donor and want to be donated to science once I'm dead. Might as well be useful instead of laying around in the ground.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't have one yet, but I plan to get one in the near future, but I am an organ donor and want to be donated to science once I'm dead. Might as well be useful instead of laying around in the ground.

Ditto.

(10char)

OP
OP
trevor1189

trevor1189

Forum Captain
I was going to do the whole donate to science thing, but the "body farm" made me change it to for transport ONLY.

I don't plan on dying anytime soon, but I know if something terrible would happen it would go they way I want it to. (If you know what I mean, not the best choice of words...)

JPINFV

Gadfly
Do I have a hard copy? No, but my family knows my wishes. There's a fine line between giving life and recovery a good college try and becoming a Terry Schiavo. Unfortunately, my father almost had to draw that line for my mother growing up (she made an almost full recovery after suffering 2 strokes).

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
Nope; definitely not a DNR.

Edit: I lied; I do have the wishes that if I were Veggie-man, I'd rather be taken off of life support.

OP
OP
trevor1189

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Thanks for the input. I DO have a hard copy. Also one on file with my PCP. It is in my medical records as to what I want and do not want.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I'm an organ donor and want to go to the body farm when I die, but I'm not a DNR. However, I'm also not a fan of being vegetative. My family knows my wishes in detail, but I still need to do the legal paperwork.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
when i was in the hospital a few months ago... they asked me if i Had any advanced directives... i said "nope, please save me"

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
My wife knows my wishes.

Watch for my postmortem cameo on "Mythbusters", in 2020.
B)

VentMedic

Forum Chief
A DNR is difficult to get if you are not elderly or with some disease process that is incapacitating or terminal.

However, in my living will I have specified at which point I want my DNR status established. I also have copies that are accessible to my doctor and my personnel file at work as well family. I use my personnel folder because if anything happens at work or if I am brought to that hospital, they will look there for family notification. There is also a flag on the computer file if someone accesses it instead of the actual folder. This was just something I got accustomed to doing since I did Flight for many years. Although, I will say I found riding in the ground ambulances to be riskier.

nibejeebies

Oldie but Goodie. Still Young Though!
I voted yes, but I feel that I should explain the yes.

CPR - YES
Vent- 14 day limit
Veggie - screw that, I hate veggies Wont even wash them more less eat them, or be one.

Organ donor- Transplant.

As for remains - I have told my family do what ever they feel is right, as long as I'm given a proper funeral with amazing grace on the bagpipes.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
yhst-88968452005615_2053_4739558