Apology

Status
Not open for further replies.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
(Note: I wrote something similar to this a little while ago, but I still need to get it off my chest.)

I would like to apologize to everyone on here for the behavior that I have shown, arguing about respect and other matters. I thought about it, and I have come to a conclusion.

My behavior was unacceptable. I came onto this site with no medical training (besides first aid and CPR), and stuck my nose where it didn't belong. For this, I apologize. It was disrespectful, arrogant, and immature.

I pride myself on being a very mature person, but on this website I really slipped up. I hope that through this apology, I can get back a little bit of the maturity I pride myself on.

I came to this site to learn. However, it seems as if I tried to teach instead. I should have realized my place, and I should have stayed there.

So hopefully, by this apology and post, I can prove that I am not a complete nut. I want to learn, and I will continue to do so at this site. However, I will watch what I post, and how I post it.

Rid, Sasha, Vent, Flight, and others, you really know your stuff. I am not just saying this to sound all dramatic or anything. You really do. I am hoping to learn much about EMS from all of you, and everybody else on this site.

Apologies, and respectfully,
Eric

(P.S.: This is a sincere apology. I know it is sometimes hard to understand the tone of someone online, so I just thought I would let you all know that I am not trying to be sarcastic or smarmy.)

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Stop with these blanket apologies!

It someone thinks you are way out of line, they will tell you. If they do, your next post should be thoughtfully thought out and clever to show that you rolled with the criticism or stand by your argument.

Think of these debates as a training ground for when you must justify why you did a certain treatment. I have seen respect lost very quickly in the ED when a physician or other healthcare professional asks why the EMT(P) did something. Some EMT(P)s will either take offense that they were even asked and throw a tantrum in the ED, thus making that crew look like idiots. Or, they will say "the protocol says so" which also will make one look less than credible or nowhere close to making a presentation as a good provider.

Communication is as important as the skills. Just expecting applause for a good IV stick is not nearly as important as calmly offering the rationale for that IV if asked. If someone wants to debate, you will have ammunition and confidence to make your point clearly. If they continue, you will know enough to decide appropriately when the argument is over. I think you have seen how many arguments are carried out for pages and may have become redundant after the first two posts.

Use these examples here to build your confidence and perfect your presentation for life outside of an anonymous forum.

Maya

Forum Lieutenant
Why are you apologizing? I'm sorry, I know you're trying to take the high road, but I don't think that you really believe what you're saying and I just lost a whole lot of respect for you.

I have the utmost respect for those with higher medical education and experience than I have. That doesn't mean that I think they're some all-seeing, all-knowing holy power with the right to say and do whatever they feel like. My father was a Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon and he was very well-known internationally in the Orthopedics Community. I never once in my life saw him be rude to another person -- doctor, nurse, receptionist, or a bum on the street, and it had nothing to do with his education or experience. It was because he was a kind and generous man with respect for others, no matter their status or title. I'm sorry, but if you're rude or condescending, it means that you were brought up without manners, it has NOTHING to do with how intelligent or experienced you are.

Nobody has the right to put someone down because of their desire to further their education and career. If someone doesn't like the way the system works, it has nothing to do with you on a personal level, simply because you have no experience -- YET.

Peace out everybody. I´m not really interested in petty arguing. I can suck it up in the real world, or at work. I don´t really feel like sucking it up on my time-off on a forum. Wish you all the best of luck.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Why are you apologizing? I'm sorry, I know you're trying to take the high road, but I don't think that you really believe what you're saying and I just lost a whole lot of respect for you.

I have the utmost respect for those with higher medical education and experience than I have. That doesn't mean that I think they're some all-seeing, all-knowing holy power with the right to say and do whatever they feel like. My father was a Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon and he was very well-known internationally in the Orthopedics Community. I never once in my life saw him be rude to another person -- doctor, nurse, receptionist, or a bum on the street, and it had nothing to do with his education or experience. It was because he was a kind and generous man with respect for others, no matter their status or title. I'm sorry, but if you're rude or condescending, it means that you were brought up without manners, it has NOTHING to do with how intelligent or experienced you are.

Nobody has the right to put someone down because of their desire to further their education and career. If someone doesn't like the way the system works, it has nothing to do with you on a personal level, simply because you have no experience -- YET.

Peace out everybody. I´m not really interested in petty arguing. I can suck it up in the real world, or at work. I don´t really feel like sucking it up on my time-off on a forum. Wish you all the best of luck.

Actually, I truly do believe what I am saying. I am not the type of person who would just create an apology or apologize for something that I don't believe in on an online forum. I hope that somehow I will be able to gain that respect back :blush:

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Stop with these blanket apologies!

I apologize for all the blanket arguments that have been made :p

Use these examples here to build your confidence and perfect your presentation for life outside of an anonymous forum.

Great advice. One of the things I definitely need is confidence, which is something I am working on. It has been a problem throughout most of my life. Not looking for sympathy. Just stating a fact.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Why are you apologizing? I'm sorry,

:p

But honestly, quit apologizing. It's a forum. It's made up of people from all over the US with different backgrounds. Someone will probably always be offended by something you say. As long as you don't break a rule and you don't intentionally insult someone, you have nothing to be sorry about.

Just enjoy your time here. The moment you don't enjoy being here, quit coming. Same goes for every single thing in life.

Scout

Para-Noid
Hey more than the US....

While i dont know why you are sorry, My advice wouldbe these are pointless exercises that you will not benift from. If you made a mistake stup up sit back and listen, if you still think your right ask they other person to explain themslefs.

You dont learn without mistakes. Everyone here has an umteen ammount of them. learn form them dotn just say sorry.

spnx

Forum Crew Member
You don't really want to open up that :censored::censored::censored::censored:storm, do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.