Anyone rocking a Ambo like this for regular 911 calls?

jwkauf

Forum Ride Along
Local Company has those. I've never been in one, but one of our Emt's had a MVA in their district and they responded and he said it was the worst ambulance ride of his life and that he would never complain about how our MedTec rides again.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
We have those, now are used as reserves for when our new dodges go down. Absolute worst ride ever. Would rather walk to a call.

DENDude

Forum Probie
Wow I am impressed, Denver just uses the FORD E-350 Van conversions for EMS, It would be cool if Denver had larger units from Freightliner or International.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
The Internationals suck. Tons of space, but absolutely terrible rides.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Wow I am impressed, Denver just uses the FORD E-350 Van conversions for EMS, It would be cool if Denver had larger units from Freightliner or International.
Why would you want that? More space just for the sake of having space? I've run a few calls in DH units and was perfectly satisfied with them.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Bigger trucks ride horrible and are harder to maneuver in tight city confines. I miss my type two trucks I used to to ride in

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
Code, Do you need a CDL to drive it or at least a DO class, due to the air brakes?

Not that I am aware of.

most likely the GVWR is down-rated (California has a 26,000lb limit) to make it Class C (non-commercial) and the freightliners do have a hydraulic brake option. we did this at my Search and Rescue unit to two similar freightliners to keep them class c.

samiam

Amazing Member
Looks like a great thing for when people wont get out of your way. My current place of residence, no one even moves over. The response time is ridiculousness. Island Life I guess. If you are lucky the cops might show up in a hour or so assuming they didnt accidentally send the call to another island.

floridamed224

Forum Crew Member
My company uses the one below for out of state transports. Real nice unit. It has a flat screen t.v. in the back for the pt to watch during transport....we also take EVOC in it.

DSC99501.jpg

'Kind of funny. We test in the one above but BLS units drive the vanbulances on a regular basis.

IMG_20121109_114723.jpg

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
As much as I'd LOVE to roll around in a rig like those, I really don't get it. More expensive to buy, fuel, maintain, and insure.

I also don't understand the logic behind throwing that much rescue gear on an ambulance. If your transport crew is playing with extrication tools, you're greatly increasing the likelihood they will be injured and unable to transport. And what happens if there is a high acuity transport in an MCI? Does the rig drive away with all of its tools?

Even high acuity CCT calls don't require THAT many toys, and a standard AEV Traumahawk box will have no problem swallowing up a balloon pump, enough infusions to bend your IV pole, two RNs, an EMT/medic, and the pump tech. A NICU rig with a hydraulic lift platform and a gigantic box will comfortably sit on an E450 chassis.
While we dont roll in trucks like that, we do carry a electric combi tool and some other basic rope rescue and water rescue stuff on our trucks. The Reasons are simple

For extrication calls, with the way new car are built, there has to be some serious speed involved to deform the vehicle in such a manner as to require long extrication. Most of our calls are for door pops where the latch gets damaged and the patient cant get out. A simple combitool can pop a door in 10 seconds and we dont need to wait for the big rescue to come down from its station. If its serious, then we can begin making access until the heavy gets to us and hopefully start some interventions.

For rope rescues and water rescues, Reach Throw Row GO right? This allows us to do the first to rescue attempts prior to the heavy getting to us. For MCIs, if your the first unit on scene, one of you is in command and the other is triage, you arent leaving, youre requesting more units and doing your triage so when they get here they can load an go.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
While we dont roll in trucks like that, we do carry a electric combi tool and some other basic rope rescue and water rescue stuff on our trucks. The Reasons are simple

For extrication calls, with the way new car are built, there has to be some serious speed involved to deform the vehicle in such a manner as to require long extrication. Most of our calls are for door pops where the latch gets damaged and the patient cant get out. A simple combitool can pop a door in 10 seconds and we dont need to wait for the big rescue to come down from its station. If its serious, then we can begin making access until the heavy gets to us and hopefully start some interventions.

For rope rescues and water rescues, Reach Throw Row GO right? This allows us to do the first to rescue attempts prior to the heavy getting to us. For MCIs, if your the first unit on scene, one of you is in command and the other is triage, you arent leaving, youre requesting more units and doing your triage so when they get here they can load an go.
I would like for my agency to start doing this (and provide us with the training as well). Currently our larger ambulances also carry Level C Isolation Kits, a wilderness/off road backpack, and two full face ATV helmets. Even our smaller Type I boxes struggle to carry that additional amount of stuff, plus chains, a spare tire, tow straps, vacuum mattress, and other odds and ends.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We are running into the opposite problem. We are moving from vans to all boxes so our management is having trouble finding out what to do with all the extra space.

Honeybadger

Forum Crew Member
Most of our medics and aid companies are getting big *** terrastar 2 doors, and they're ridiculous. From what I understand, the only benefit is that they also hold bunker gear, rescue gear, and can power hydraulic tools, which is something a type 1-3 cannot do. But watching two medics climb into that big beast and put on earmuffs "to go drive the ambulance" just looks and feels inherently wrong.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
We are running into the opposite problem. We are moving from vans to all boxes so our management is having trouble finding out what to do with all the extra space.

Have a tool kit on every truck, like basic wrenches and screwdrivers? Heavy irons (Halligan bar/16lb sledge) set? PPE sets? Exposure kits? Portable scene light or lantern? Glass master or a saws-all?

Main truck is primary rescue truck, a simple lowering/hauling system with a 100ft rope bag, Stokes and its rigging on the roof, a man in machine bag for industrial entrapment, 2 PAPRs
Second truck is Hazmat response. 2 SCBAs and 2 spare bottles, (Every employee has a SCBA mask with adapter for canister filters) 4 PAPR units, 2 B suits with gloves and boots, a small hand pump sprayer for simple decon, plastic sheeting, tape, ect.

A lot depends on your coverage area, identify the hazards and likely response. Who does tactical med, hazmat, rescue, are there deficiencies in these areas? Are there a lot of pools? car accidents? Industrial sites? You're in the desert? Carry extra water? A Search kit?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Have a tool kit on every truck, like basic wrenches and screwdrivers? Heavy irons (Halligan bar/16lb sledge) set? PPE sets? Exposure kits? Portable scene light or lantern? Glass master or a saws-all?

Main truck is primary rescue truck, a simple lowering/hauling system with a 100ft rope bag, Stokes and its rigging on the roof, a man in machine bag for industrial entrapment, 2 PAPRs
Second truck is Hazmat response. 2 SCBAs and 2 spare bottles, (Every employee has a SCBA mask with adapter for canister filters) 4 PAPR units, 2 B suits with gloves and boots, a small hand pump sprayer for simple decon, plastic sheeting, tape, ect.

A lot depends on your coverage area, identify the hazards and likely response. Who does tactical med, hazmat, rescue, are there deficiencies in these areas? Are there a lot of pools? car accidents? Industrial sites? You're in the desert? Carry extra water? A Search kit?
Fire handles all of that stuff (I actually mean all of those that you listed) and carries all the equipment. Since fire responds with us on 100% of medical aids and TCs it's not necessary for us to carry.

Search and rescue is also handled by fire and PD/sheriff/highway patrol and a handful of SAR teams.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I have enough room to put my helmet and safety vest in the side cabinet now! There's so much room for activities.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I think Hall Ambulance has an International they use for ground CCT, not sure but I think that one might be a 4 door?

Yes. We run primary CCT and 911 back up. But lately it's been more 911 than CCT. We also have a matching helicopter.

576a6c0bd1b1c169736c90a10b7c5221.jpg