Anyone know if AEMT training exists in CA?

CodyVector

Forum Probie
I actually enjoy having an AEMT as a partner. An extra set of hands to perform skills is nice, and it leaves me time to do my paramagic while he gets the IV.

But AEMT as "the als provider" on an ambulance. Nope.
Agreed. IMHO the EMT-Paramedic should remain the ALS provider, above all. But that is no reason to hamstring yourself by nerfing the EMT.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Agreed. IMHO the EMT-Paramedic should remain the ALS provider, above all. But that is no reason to hamstring yourself by nerfing the EMT.

Tightening or restricting the scope of the EMT isn't exactly the issue here.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Is google down for maintenance?

California is a big state. Perhaps the class is offered somewhere in the state, but i(we) have no way of knowing where you are, how far you're willing to travel, what your availability is, what you're willing to pay, and probably a dozen other factors.

If you're in San Diego and theres a class in Mendocino, is that going to work for you? I doubt it, and whomever went to the trouble of finding that class for you is never going to see a return on their investment.

All of these questions can be answered by you, along with finding the information you seek by yourself. Go forth and research.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Well, we've come full circle. Back to the original question; "Is there any AEMT training in California"
Yes. Paramedic. Compared to a lot of the us, is right at aemt ;)

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

CodyVector

Forum Probie

Ive searched off & on for years, high & low... the only program I ever found was at EMSTA in San Diego county, and then it was primarily for Border Patrol Agents with some extra seats...

Practically speaking, the answer is indeed "No."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Ive searched off & on for years, high & low... the only program I ever found was at EMSTA in San Diego county, and then it was primarily for Border Patrol Agents with some extra seats...

Out of sheer curiosity I looked at their course catalog, only EMT Basic and Paramedic are listed, so it looks like AEMT has gone the way of the dodo bird...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Around 3-4 years ago NCTI in riverside offered a AEMT class for one time only haha

CodyVector

Forum Probie

-Thanks for this link. Co-incidentally this was the local community college near Redondo Beach, where I grew up. I may actually do this program!
Thanks again [emoji106]

Agg04

Forum Probie
When I first started pursuing this career field I was shocked on how different it can be according to the area, not just the state. Here in South Florida its unheard of to me of any AEMT's or even EMT's who have an IV cert. Its either EMT-B or Paramedic. Simple as that. Now I'm looking into moving to Denver and a lot of jobs require different things compared to South Florida. Down here you will never see a job posting for AEMT or an IV cert. Paramedics are very common down here just because getting a job as an EMT-B isn't worth it or damn near impossible to find a good one. Also just to add in there I have not heard of a department or company thats runs strictly just a BLS unit down here, everything seems to be ALS. But as I was looking at jobs in Denver it seems like they are looking for a lot more Medics than they are EMT's. And if they are looking for an EMT, from what i have seen, they almost always require an IV cert. Which tells me that they are over saturated with EMT's and not paramedics (all speculation of course) and in Florida there is a over saturation of both. I did notice that getting into a Medic program is harder than any of the ones in my area, judging from the ones I looked at. Requiring pre reqs such as Anatomy and Physiology, Biology etc. (something like that). Which looks like it causes a lot more job openings for paramedic that way than it does in South FL. But down here all I need is my Florida state license from EMT to get into the program. I know at least the program that i plan on attending for medic is very rigorous and usually have a quite a few drop outs. It interests me how different some areas are compared to others.

Brydandon

Forum Ride Along
My grandmother said that this was the same exact argument they had with the job of Nurse.

Before there was the one title of Nurse that ruled Queen of the hospital setting, now the title Nurse has a good number of sub-branches, LVN/LPN, RN, BSN, Nurse Practitioner, etc. Even succumbing to the rise of the Physicians Assistants... Which is the job description of the Original Nurse.

So far the inevitable split has happened to Paramedic ruling King of the prehospital setting; EMR, EMT, AEMT, EMT-P, CCT, and in some countries Emergency Care Practitioner.

Hate it or Love it its happened. Why not work with it instead of against it?

Take this Corona pandemic for example, it takes 350 extra hours on top of EMT to become an AEMT in most states. Think about it on a level of time constraints and places needing a more fast track bridge to some limited ALS skilled personnel vs time a governing body doesn't have to train individuals for years in Paramedic school during a pandemic or terrorist attack.

Its just hands down a game changer to have AEMT education available, especially during times of mass crisis, when you need EMTs able to push IVs, Etc. asap.

Last edited: