anyone ever have a job with a ruptured breast implant ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Yeah, even if you were to be able to tell a difference, it's not going to matter one damn bit in the field since you can't do anything about it. In other words, note it, report it and move on.

That is what I intend to do in the field.

In this forum, I wanted to hear stories.

Unless something changed last night, it is not a crime to ask what I asked.

:blink::unsure:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
A study of 20 people is hardly proof. Given that statistically, there are always outliers in a sample group, it is possible that the majority of the 20 sampled were outliers. This is not to say that the study has no merit, rather if anything, it shows that current practices involving palpation deserve reevaluation.

It isn't a huge study, but it does disprove the method, in a predominantly if not complete ICU environment... As a run-and-gun skill in an MCI/Triage situation it makes sense, but 9 times out of 10 it wont be a situation like that, so why not take the time to get a manual bp in a single patient situation? Takes less than 30 seconds.

crazycajun

Forum Captain
I call bull:censored::censored::censored::censored: until I see the case citations.

Google "EMT touched woman inappropriately". I won't give you the names of the people I know that were charged due to confidentiality but I will tell you to do some research in Louisiana. In each case where charges were filed it was considered sexual assault due to nature of incident.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
What about a victim of a stabbing ?

Has anyone had a job like that ?

Off the top of my head, I would cover the area with a multi-trauma dressing, wrap it snug with roller guaze, throw on some 02, load and go and take vitals on the way.

Does that go against anyone's sensibilities ?

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Has anyone had a job like that ?

Off the top of my head, I would cover the area with a multi-trauma dressing, wrap it snug with roller guaze, throw on some 02, load and go and take vitals on the way.

Does that go against anyone's sensibilities ?

Umm... Why arbitrarily use oxygen? And why wrap with roller gauze? Whatever that is I don't think you would need it.

Why are you calling it a "job" and not a patient?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I think that the likelihood of running across traumatic implant failures is nil

1. FRONTAL IMPACT/anterior-posterior force: great deal of very sudden force, or gargantuan crushing. I'd say you have a deader on your hands. Not sure about torso restrain in a MVA, but probably not airbag deployment. Still, a lot of the type of force to snap your neck or deform your rib cage.
2. Lac or GSW: going to be busy with bleeding, and unless it is selective (lateral grazing GSW, or mutiliation with a sharp object) maybe talking pneumo and/or haemothorax.
3. Barometric change, microwave oven, meteorites, tatooing, slam dancing....naw.
4. Immune response against the envelope ("baggie"): big problems for the pt, but the plastic will be immune.
5. Operative accident on implantation or manufacturing defect: maybe your best chance for a leaker, but any reputable surgeon and his scrub nurse will have inspected that implant three or more times, not to mention a leak showing up on the sterile field. As with manufacture, no idea about work done on the cheap in Thailand or some other cut rate scenario.

But again back to OP: in the short period of field tx, use of SNS versus sterile water for initial irrigation is about even. Might want to check neb meds for compatibility with saline before it's used as the diluent, but I never heard of one that was incompatible.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Umm... Why arbitrarily use oxygen? And why wrap with roller gauze? Whatever that is I don't think you would need it.

Why are you calling it a "job" and not a patient?

EMS responds to a job. The job is getting the patient to the ER without their sitatuin getting worse.

I would strap on 02 and leave it on so long as they tolerated it and had no bad reaction.

The roller gauze would hold the pad in place with a little pressure.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
A study of 20 people is hardly proof. Given that statistically, there are always outliers in a sample group, it is possible that the majority of the 20 sampled were outliers. This is not to say that the study has no merit, rather if anything, it shows that current practices involving palpation deserve reevaluation.

I used that thread as a starting point for further research the OP can do. Not the end all, be all.

Last edited by a moderator:

crazycajun

Forum Captain
EMS responds to a job. The job is getting the patient to the ER without their sitatuin getting worse.

I would strap on 02 and leave it on so long as they tolerated it and had no bad reaction.

Our job is to respond. We respond to help patients. Our GOAL in an emergency is to get the patient to the ER with getting worse.

You still haven't said why you would use O2. Is this just your preference? If the patient has no oxygen deficiency why would you have a need for O2?

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients

Have you ever tried to wrap a roll of gauze around a torso? It's one of the more difficult things to do. If a person is stabbed to the chest, the first layer of the dressing needs to be occlusive...plastic or vaseline gauze...maybe one of those snazzy chest seal dressings.

Stab wounds to the torso typically don't bleed that badly on the outside.

Oxygen is only necessary if the patient is showing signs of hypoxia.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Our job is to respond. We respond to help patients. Our GOAL in an emergency is to get the patient to the ER with getting worse.

You still haven't said why you would use O2. Is this just your preference? If the patient has no oxygen deficiency why would you have a need for O2?

Is it possib;le the patient has a deficiency unable to be detected by an EMT ?

I would think the 02 would help calm the patient, lessen the possibility of going into shock. I would keep it on so long as no adverse reaction. I would monitor them on the way to the ER.

I am aware people here have disagreed with it, but in my class they said you usually can not go wrong giving them 02. Dont just ignore them, monitor their reaction, but it can generally only help.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

So you're going to give O2 when it's not indicated and put pressure to further deflate the ruptured implant. Great thinking there, genius. <_<

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Have you ever tried to wrap a roll of gauze around a torso? It's one of the more difficult things to do. If a person is stabbed to the chest, the first layer of the dressing needs to be occlusive...plastic or vaseline gauze...maybe one of those snazzy chest seal dressings.

Stab wounds to the torso typically don't bleed that badly on the outside.

Oxygen is only necessary if the patient is showing signs of hypoxia.

No, my service sees very little trauma.

The most significant I have seen is a 12" tear to the inner thigh from being impaled on a fence post. The patient got himself off before we arrived. It was a long deep cut, very little bleeding.

We through on a huge pad, rolled it to his thigh, gave him 02 and got him to the ER.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I would think the 02 would help calm the patient, lessen the possibility of going into shock.

You need to brush up on your basics there my friend. You don't seem to have a clue. Instead of wasting your time looking for stories about femoral pulses and fake boobs, why not actually learn the underpinnings of your job? For someone with 800+ posts in less than a year, you seem to have little to contribute and don't seem to have learned much.

I am aware people here have disagreed with it, but in my class they said you usually can not go wrong giving them 02.

Your instructors were :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing morons.

Dont just ignore them, monitor their reaction, but it can generally only help.

Wrong.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
So you're going to give O2 when it's not indicated and put pressure to further deflate the ruptured implant. Great thinking there, genius. <_<

Does giving 02 to someone via nrb or cannula put more pressure on the ruptured implant ?

(I just dont know, honestly)

Wouldnt it just make the air they inhale have a higher % of 02 ? Does it make them breathe deeper causing more pressure ?

I may be wrong but wouldnt a higher concentration of 02 in the air they breathe make them breathe easier ?

I can see a BVM.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
For someone with 800+ posts in less than a year, you seem to have little to contribute and don't seem to have learned much.

Your instructors were :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing morons.

Wrong.

That is merely your opinion.

Thank you for sharing.

Thank you for your concern in what I have or have not learned.

It was enlightening to hear your point of view.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Does giving 02 to someone via nrb or cannula put more pressure on the ruptured implant ?

(I just dont know, honestly)

Wouldnt it just make the air they inhale have a higher % of 02 ? Does it make them breathe deeper causing more pressure ?

I may be wrong but wouldnt a higher concentration of 02 in the air they breathe make them breathe easier ?

I can see a BVM.

I think my 8 year old has a firmer grasp on science than you do. Please get a real book on anatomy and physiology and read it. Do not read another bit of your EMS crap textbook, and forget whatever your insane instructors told you in class.

Wanna hear my ruptured breast implant story? 27yof was ejected from a car, but left her arm underneath of it. She was in our ICU with a closed head injury, pulmonary contusions and ARDS and a liver lac. We got around to evaluating her ruptured breast implant on the second or third week of her course.

You really need to spend some time actually learning the science of the basics, and not spinning your wheels on subjects that just. don't. matter.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Obvious troll is obvious.

crazycajun

Forum Captain
That is merely your opinion.

Thank you for sharing.

Thank you for your concern in what I have or have not learned.

It was enlightening to hear your point of view.

Pretty much fact as we have all read your post.

You should either try and study more or stick to IFT

I would ask for my money back from the course provider

Status
Not open for further replies.