An MI: My Experience at 30,000 Ft.

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Originally posted by rescuemedic7306@May 11 2005, 02:20 AM
yup, Ped pads are $100 dollaroonies...so we don't use them too often I can tell you!
Thats because of that damn teddy bear resistor!

But its a good thing they arent used often, and not just because they're expensive. (Come on do you think I'm that heartless?) :lol:

rescuejew

Forum Lieutenant
Strike3:
Welcome to emtlife!

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Now I hope Jon isn't hooking them up to elmo and baking cookies!

That'd be quite a bill for a couple, red furry cookies.

Maybe I should have put a trade mark on that. :p

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I'm not going to hold back, I read this post early this morning, and I've been thinking about it throughout the day.

It makes me sick to see you guys talking about who got what save, and "another live saved" ********...

I didn't save anyones life, and never have actually. Sometimes I hold up my hands and say "These hands save lives," but usually they just cart dialysis patients around. I haven't done anything life-saving quite yet, but I've held lots of hands and calmed lots of old ladies. Does that count?

I hate that EMS wants a freakin' pat on the back everytime some doesn't die in our care. We do our jobs as a service to the community, not for the glory of saving a life. All the freakin' Ricky Rescues on here are ridiculous. \

I have yet to see a member that has walked around with the "Hero" belt. I shared my story because I have relatively few stories to share, and I thought it was a pretty unique story. Again, I didn't save any lives, just helped out when I could.

Go to work. Do your job. Have some fun while you're there. Go home safe. Don't look for praise and publicity. Don't go around bragging about what you did. All you did is your JOB. It's kinda like a mailman doing a touchdown dance everytime he puts a letter in someones mailbox. It looks immature, self important and stupid.

No one is bragging, they're sharing experiences with others. Maybe you should have read my post where I said I put the 25 y/o guy on a ped N/C, or all the other not-so-exciting things I've posted about.

Also, when my partner does something great, above the call of duty, I sure as hell let them know they did a good job. They don't need and, and it might get old, but I find it's usually a friendly thing, and people like to know when they're doing something good. It's all about being positive.

Congrats on doing your damn job. :rolleyes:
I wasn't doing my job, in fact I wasn't working. I paid $500 to sit in a plane ticket like the rest of the people on that plane. I waited for others, possibly more qualified to volunteer, and when no one did, I got up. Know what I got for squatting in the back of the plane and doing all this stuff? Not much, but I'd do it again. I didn't get in EMS for the money, I did it because I care. I still do care about every one of my patients, and I cared about that man on the airplane.

As for the original post here....The plane PT...You should have given 4 baby asprin as soon as you asessed the PT. That's protocol in any system, for any active cardiac PT for any basic. I know it's easier to look back on things and see things different, but the asprin and O2 should be second nature. You shouldn't even have to think about it once you verify that the PT hasn't had any recently, and has no allergies to it.

Where I work, and where I was trained, ASA is not in the BLS protocol. In fact if you read other posts on the forum, you'll find many Basics from many states can't and don't give ASA. Others only give 2, some 3. I didn't give ASA because it wasn't one of the tools in my toolbox. The ICU nurse that had the drug box didn't give ASA, so we didn't give it. Oops, you assumed wrong on that one, but I'll forgive you.

I'm glad you weren't like half the EMS people I work with, that hide from anything if they're "off duty". Congrats on that. :)

I did what I felt was right. When the plane landed, instead of walking back to my seat and drawing attention, I saw down in the back row, put the AED and O2 tank on my lap, and covered them with my hands. As patients rushed back to use the bathroom, I didn't say a word, I just sat there and waited until the flight attendant came back. I gave the O2 back to her when the row cleared. When the airplane mechanic was refilling the drug box (go figure), he was having trouble identifying what went where. I quietly offered my assistance, and I dont think anyone noticed. I didn't give any high-fives, yell "Another life saved" or do my saved-life dance. That's not what I'm about.

Most importantly, I shared my experience with this community because I feel as though they have a similar interest in EMS. That's what this forum is all about, the common bond of EMS. I have a life too, in fact EMS is a tiny part of my life, but I still get excited every time I go into work.

Maybe you can stick around the forum and check out what we're all about, we're a great community. :)

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
AMEN Matt. You're MY hero. ;)

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Well said Matt.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Well said

rescuejew

Forum Lieutenant
Matt: Dont know you too well yet buddy, but with a heart like that, you can treat me anytime... :D

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
High Five Matt!!! Very nicely said.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
You da man Matt! B)