AMR feedback? Positive or negative

Mjk716

Forum Ride Along
So I just recently received my Connecticut EMT certification. My purpose was career change as my current position bores me out of my mind some days. I know I’ll be initially taking a significant pay cut jumping in to EMS but the growth potential has me intrigued. Anyway, to my point of the post...what are the pros/cons of working for AMR? The Bridgeport, Connecticut location has offered me full-time at 18.45 an hour with 70% 911 and 30% commercial transport. There is mandatory hold over max 4hrs and no order in mandate. (Atleast that is what she told me) Any info positive/negative/neutral would be awesome as I currently sit here going back and forth like the changing tide!

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Sounds good. Take it.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
AMR is fine for starting out and gaining experience. I do not know about the Connecticut operations.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I had thought they started a bit higher than $18.45 but that sounds ok. AMR Bridgeport has a mixed reputation but is a good place for getting experience.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Indeed, AMR CT operations are fairly legitimate. I wouldn't call them sketchy. I also believe that group is union.
The pay, benefits, schedule all seem reasonable, if not GOOD (for the area).
Perhaps stop by the garage and talk to current employees, to get their perspective?

EddaJorg

Forum Ride Along
I'm going to echo medicdan in suggesting talking to the current crews to see what they have to say about it.

Every company is going to have people that love or hate them for different reasons but if there's a consistent trend in what you're hearing from past and present employees that could be a deal-breaker for you regardless of how much they pay you, I'd say explore other opportunities. I've never worked for them and have heard pretty equal amounts of good and bad about them but the reason I turned down a position with them was purely monetary, I needed more than they were willing to negotiate and I have too many small humans to feed for what they offered and the commute it involved. I would have at least tried out working with them otherwise, even if it was just until I could find something else.

I hope whatever you decide to do, it works out great for you and hope to hear what you decided :) Good luck!!

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
At my job in Philly, we’re severely understaffed so at times we’re overworked. There’s the usual work adgita, but that’s mostly stuff that can’t be controlled. I’m probably going to leave around the end of next year unless something changes.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Oh also congrats on getting your cert! Welcome to the super dysfunctional family!

OP
OP
M

Mjk716

Forum Ride Along
So as it stands now, I declined the AMR full-time job and am currently waiting for part-time positions to open up sometime in late sept/early oct. In the meantime, I just got hired by Echo Hose Ambulance as a volunteer. This is where I took my classes and also the town I grew up in. I start my observation/training next week so I hope to have some 911 experience very soon. I felt this was the best way to enter into a new line of work without having to dive in headfirst and potentially get overwhelmed rather quickly. I also think volunteering in the community I grew up in allows me to gain a greater appreciation for the task at hand rather than just being thrown to the wolves in the AMR situation. Thanks for all the advice and feedback you guys provided!!