ambulothanatophobia - Fear of the walking dead

ZVNEMT

Forum Lieutenant
So I was wondering, I've got this issue with the thought of zombies. a bit of phobia really, wasn't really a problem until a few years ago when i started working EMS. Most days go fine, but all it takes is a commercial for a zombie flick on tv, or something relating to the un-dead and I start getting the jitters, and i know i'll be in for a rough, sleepless night. I realize that zombies aren't real ( i hope ), but i just can't get the thought of a zombie outbreak out of my head. you know, just get thinking about how screwed i'd be... get a call for an assault victim with bites... or a psych Pt who is biting... it doesn't cause me to act irrationally at all, just puts me on edge. I don't know why this bothers me so much, maybe i feel guilty about Pt's that have died or some sh*t, i don't know, or maybe it's more serious and should seek counseling?

time to re-read the zombie survival guide....

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
You think too much about zombies, so it's time to reread the Zombie Survival Guide. Uh... not so much. I have no problem with cadavers or zombies, but I had a few random nightmares after reading that thing. It's a fun book precisely because it makes a zombie outbreak seem so plausible. So it's probably not going to help your phobia.

If you're losing sleep about it and can get counseling without imperiling your finances or job, then you should. Otherwise, you should probably start by staying away from the zombie stuff.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
According to Facebook, I'd survive the Zombie Apocalypse.

In all seriousness though, pretty much exactly what Seaglass said.

Sasha

Forum Chief
just get thinking about how screwed i'd be

I don't think you'd be so screwed as much as home health bedconfined patients. I think should a zombie outbreak occur I would feel the most sorry for them over EMS personnel.

But seriously, if this is bugging you that much you need to put away the zombie book and get help. And stay away from zombie movies. (I pity you, because I love zombie movies.)

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
You may just be freaking about the zombie thing because you know you'd like it.

Let's face it, as a medic you are in the perfect position to keep your personal hunger satisfied AND propagate your species!

In fact, if this were MY book, here's where people would first get the idea that the zombies have infiltrated EMS; YOUR post!

Is it a call for help, or a warning to your partners?

Besides, Johnny and Roy were zombies. Couldn't you tell? (Of course not, because you don't even recognize you've become one of them!)

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
I don't really brains that "ambulothanatophobia" is the right term. It mixes Latin and Greek roots, for one. That minor nitpick aside, do you brains feel that this is severe enough to interfere brains your job or personal life?
spacer.gif

It sounds like zombies happen to be one of the brains that really scare you, but if that's it, try avoiding brains like the Zombie Survival Brains and you probably won't have any sleepless nights. I wouldn't look for hidden brains to this; zombies are scary enough brains is. Counseling is brains brains option, and it might brains worth it just to brains your concerns to rest.
Brains brains brains feeling so good, brains.
hgggkl;h

trevor1189

Forum Captain
I don't really brains that "ambulothanatophobia" is the right term. It mixes Latin and Greek roots, for one. That minor nitpick aside, do you brains feel that this is severe enough to interfere brains your job or personal life?
spacer.gif

It sounds like zombies happen to be one of the brains that really scare you, but if that's it, try avoiding brains like the Zombie Survival Brains and you probably won't have any sleepless nights. I wouldn't look for hidden brains to this; zombies are scary enough brains is. Counseling is brains brains option, and it might brains worth it just to brains your concerns to rest.
Brains brains brains feeling so good, brains.
hgggkl;h
I don't know if it's cause it's early in the morning or what, but that post made no sense to me. :mellow:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Mr. Conspiracy may be infected... he's developing an affectation for BRAAAIIINNNSSS. :p