Am I too old to start as an EMT?

dharmer

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys obviously new here, but was hoping for some opinions.

I appreciate all the feedback, but please try not to just say "ohh you're never too old for anything" lol. I'm 35 years old and work a good job in an office. It is boring and I never enjoyed it...nothing real happens. For quite some time I have thought about becoming an EMT, and eventually paramedic. I've always had the thought most start around 18 to 20.

I realize I'd be taking a paycut if I did this, but is it realistic at my age too get hired even. I mean resume wise i'd have like 4 years experience as an EMT by 40, where as most people would have close to 20 years probably. Is it realistic to even compete with jobs starting so late in this type of career change?

thanks for any feedback

Last edited by a moderator:

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
You don't want to hear us say your not too old? You want us to lie? Your not too old. I know many people your age and older working in EMS. I work with a man who is 67 who became an EMT after retirement. He has no trouble.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Honestly, if you're younger than dead and you're able to safely lift patients, you're not too old to become an EMT. Normal EMT work can be fairly physically demanding, so do protect your back. Many, many EMT's and Paramedics get out of EMS because of back problems. It is, however, one of the few jobs I've truly loved doing.

Altitudes

Forum Crew Member
I went through EMT basic in the fall of 2012. Most of the people in that class (probably about 75%) were significantly older than I was (I was 22 at the time).

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
As others have stated no your not too old. I have seen EMTs in the field who are well into their 60s who have no issues at all.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
Like others have said if this is what you want go for it. I don't see age being a factor.

Now, a few things to consider...

Depending on where you work it may take some time to get the classic 911 EMT job where you are riding around lights and sirens saving the world. It is much more likely that you may end up working for private transportation services which provide basic non emergency transportation. I think most agree non emergency BLS transport is not the most exciting job ever.

You may find the need to volunteer for local rescue squads to gain 911 experience. On the up side, you can always do this as you are able and keep your better paying job at least in the short term.

Just some things to consider.

Mainspring

Forum Crew Member
35 years old is not old.

I'm in my 40s, 1st year in, and loving it.
if you are worried about job prospects, lot of ambulace companies hire new people regardless of age with no experience.

age is a plus. makes you shine out in a room full of kids.

you have the maturity to do the job, right.

if you want to go for it, go for it!!!

pay sucks but job rocks.

chriscemt

Forum Lieutenant
if you are worried about job prospects, lot of ambulace companies hire new people regardless of age with no experience. age is a plus. makes you shine out in a room full of kids.

I would second this. I was hired this year, first EMS job, age 39, and I bet a lot of that had to do with the fact that I was cheap (zero experience as an EMT) and could otherwise handle myself in a mature manner (considerably less than zero experience as an adult).

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I did what you're contemplating when I was 39. Same situation with office work -- good job, not very interesting. Took a big pay cut, became an EMT, then a medic. Looking back 22 years later, I'd say it was worth it. The money wouldn't have been better than the experiences. It's sort of like having kids: once you buy into the sacrifices, there's lots of spiritual upside.

Quikclot

Forum Probie
I got in to EMS at 39 (after being on the law side of public safety for 21 years) and started out on IFT. 7 months later I'm working 911 and plan to attend medic school later this year.

Not too late, by any means, and you may find your niche now! Go out and explore it!

SSwain

Forum Captain
41 when I became an EMT
Similar situation...good office job, but felt I had more to offer.
Took the course at night....while working 50-55 hrs/week during the day. 45 minute commute to school....made for one burned out person by the end.

Worth it? I'd like to think so.

Rose 930

Forum Ride Along
I, too, was always interested in this field. From my mid 20's I didn't do many things because I thought I was too old to be starting out. The older I got the more I realized I was definitely NOT too old. Now I'm just over 50, too old for this now and wish I had done it. You are at a great age to start. Young enough to learn with the strength needed. Go for it. Do it. You will be so much happier doing something because you want to. Good luck, let us know when you finish your training! Also, you can get hired at any age if you work for a city or any public agency! I was hired as a police dispatcher for Philadelphia close to your age!

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
I was 37 when I took my community college EMT-B class. I was the oldest in class by a year and a half.

I was the ONLY person out of my EMT-B class to get hired promptly by the large city-run 911 EMS agency. I was also the only person in my new hire academy there hired with no prior EMS experience. My age was a huge, huge asset in getting hired. Maturity and life experience are significant plusses. I wasn't even the oldest in my academy class (of 13), there were two or three others older than me (though they did have some EMS experience).

If you are physically able to do the job (lifting, bending, stretching), you are not too old.

OP
OP
D

dharmer

Forum Ride Along
thanks for all the great and informative feedback everyone, sorry i didn't respond sooner.

I didn't realize the age could possibly help, and it makes sense. I was more looking at 1 year experience VS someone at 18 with a ton. I would say I"m in decent shape, I just am not some guy who lifts. I'm about 5'11 155ish. I'm confident I can handle the physical aspect though, as I've been in athletics most of my lie.

I think i need to do it, even though it's a decent paycut. I'd rather not wake up in 20 years realizing I'm miserable but make a little more money lol.

OP
OP
D

dharmer

Forum Ride Along
another question as I've looked into it

how much does it matter where you take the course?

I am in CT and Yale new haven hospital sounds good i guess

How much do they consider the place you trained when hiring?

Last edited by a moderator: