AHA new changes 2005

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I can't get a good connection in this hotel room. Any chance you can give me a cliff notes version?

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
cant get it here at work either. Cliff Notes Please.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I'll pull it up at work tommorrow, or at the squad tommorrow night.

Thanks.

Jon

emtff99

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by EMTPrincess@Nov 28 2005, 07:20 PM
cant get it here at work either. Cliff Notes Please.
pump 30 blow 2wice

nemo

Forum Ride Along
For those who can't get the webcast to work...

To find the complete 11 or 12 part .pdf files that detail all the changes and the clinical studies that prompted and support them, information can be found at the website below. It's a link to a quick reference screen from Circulations
Link to Page that will allow you to download the 12 different .pdf files that include information on ECC 2005

To find the quick reference 28 pg .pdf file that explains these changes in an easy to read, yet comprehensive newsletter go to the following site:
AHA Newsletter documenting ECC changes

Here's a .pdf file that explains how the transition process to these new standards will be happening. I admit this info is a bit terse but still it's helpful:
ECC 2005 Transition Info

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Thanks Nemo. I'll take a look at it tomorrow when I get to work.

And welcome to EMTLife.com. Be sure to stop by the EMS Lounge and introduce yourself.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Here's a the link to the full Circulations newsletter that Nemo mentioned, and a brief summary. I skipped over a couple of items that were more "teaching focus" recommendations rather than actual protocol changes.

All Rescuers

- New emphasis on quality and rate of compressions, chest wall recoil and continuity of compressions
- New universal compression/ventilation ratio for all single rescuers of 30:2 (except for newborns)
- 1 second duration for each rescue breath
- for AEDS, only one shock attempt followed by immediate CPR with pulse checks every 2 minutes
- AED use recommendation for children over 1 year of age

Lay Rescuer

- 2 minutes of CPR prior to calling 911 for infants and children (as opposed to the old 1 minute)
- head tilt/chin lift for all patients (no jaw thrust for head/neck trauma)
- 5-10 second breathing check for unresponsive PTs
- normal breath (not a deep breath) prior to giving rescue breath
- only one breath without chest rise before repositioning airway (instead of the old 2 breaths)
- no circulation check - immediate chest compressions following intial 2 rescue breaths
- no rescue breathing without chest compression
- for children, either 1 or 2 hand compressions on nipple line
- several first aid changes, most interesting being that lay rescuer can assist with asthma inhalers and lay rescuer should hold in-line stabilization for suspected c-spine injuries

BLS Providers
- child guidelines apply from 1 year old to onset of puberty
- single rescuer criteria similar to lay rescuer call first/call fast principle
- if jaw thrust does not adequately open airway, head tilt/chin lift should be used even for c-spine PTs
- chest compressions for infant or child with pulse of less than 60 bpm.
- 30:2 ratio for all 1-rescuer CPR and 2-rescuer adult and 15:2 for 2-rescuer infant or child
- continuous compressions and ventilations when advanced airway is in place (in other words, no trading off...compressions and ventilation given simultaneously)
- role rotation every 2 minutes with 2 or more rescuers

I won't get into the ACLS, PALS and neonatal criteria because those are above me.

squid

Forum Lieutenant
And the *best* part is their new slogan (because I'm 12 at heart):

Push hard, push fast!!

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
Wow. Thanks for the breakdown Mr. SafetyPro. So now I guess AEDs will have to be reprogrammed to meet new criteria. :blink:

But I have a question-

Would giving compressions and rescue breaths simultaneously interfere with each other? (IE- Rescuer 1 gives rescue breaths while rescuer 2 does a compression, kinda hard to get a chest rise when someones pushing down on your chest, eh?)

:unsure:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by CaptainPanic@Dec 1 2005, 10:41 AM
Wow. Thanks for the breakdown Mr. SafetyPro. So now I guess AEDs will have to be reprogrammed to meet new criteria. :blink:

But I have a question-

Would giving compressions and rescue breaths simultaneously interfere with each other? (IE- Rescuer 1 gives rescue breaths while rescuer 2 does a compression, kinda hard to get a chest rise when someones pushing down on your chest, eh?)

you sneak one in" between compressions.... not perfect exchange, but compressions are more important than gas exchange, really.

Jon

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Originally posted by CaptainPanic@Dec 1 2005, 08:41 AM

But I have a question-

Its my understanding from what I've read in a couple discussions that yes, AEDs will have to eventually be re-programmed for the new criteria.

As for the synchronous compressions/ventilations, that's actually been the protocol out here for awhile with advanced airways. If you think about it, it makes sense. A healthy person breathes and has their heart pumping at the same time, so you're trying to simulate that...alternating compressions and ventilations is more unnatural. It also means that with every compression, there's less O2 in the lungs because you haven't added any since before the first compression of the stack.

Yes, you may "miss" a vent if it comes at the exact same time as a compression, but on average, you'll have more vents going in.