Age Discrimination?

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
I am 19 and have experience providing patient care in clinical and prehospital settings - but I am having trouble finding a job because I am not 21 yet. If a company is an equal opportunity employer are they not "discriminating" because of my age if they refuse to even look at my app because I am under 21?

BTW- if anyone has employment suggestions for me in AZ it would be greatly appreciated!!!! :rolleyes:

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Most places cannot or will not hire because of their insurance. Not many places hire attendant only EMT B s

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
It's not an "age discrimination" thing. Typically, they can't put you on their insurance until you reach 21. Thus, you become a tremendous liability.

Things to do until you're 21: Further your education, look for an ER Tech job, volunteer, or look to get on an FD (don't typically have the same age restrictions).

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
you CAN discriminate against someone because they are too young. happens all the time.

you CANNOT discriminate against someone because they are too old. the AARP will gladly take your case and sue someone over this.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Nope you're not gonna find any help with that. Standard EMS hiring practice. And generally fully justified

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
As everyone else has said its normally because of insurance. Insurance is alot cheaper for the company if you are over 21. It's the same with a horrible driving record, it would cost the company alot to insure you so they go with the applicants with good records.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Nope it's not considered discrimination in this case. I do have to agree that it seems odd that while young men and women are old enough to die in our wars at 17, spend life in prison at 16 or make decisions about their own body and health until they are 18 they aren't considered old enough to drive an ambulance until 25 or drink a beer until they are 21.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I cannot quite understand the regional variation in hiring of under 21 year olds. Here in Mass it happens all the time, as long as your 18 and a better interviewer than the guy in front of you, you'll get the job. My bosses could not care less that I'm under 21 except that they apparently like the "novelty" factor and that many of us will work absurd shifts in exchange for OT pay.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
The company is required by the state to hold insurance on you. If the insurance company says they won't insure you, they can't employ you. It's not discrimination based on age, it's based on insurability, which is not a protected category. 21 will come soon enough.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Nope it's not considered discrimination in this case. I do have to agree that it seems odd that while young men and women are old enough to die in our wars at 17, spend life in prison at 16 or make decisions about their own body and health until they are 18 they aren't considered old enough to drive an ambulance until 25 or drink a beer until they are 21.

Actually, it is very understandable.

There are reams of statistics showing both the safety and economic risks of young drivers. It is very likely they will have some sort of motorvehicle mishap.

From the biological standpoint, it is the age of risk taking for impressing potential mates.

The real dicotomy is that as society progresses, it takes longer to learn all the required knowledge and skills to be a productive adult member.

However, the age of reproduction keeps getting lower because of the abundance and ease of resources.

Yet our laws are based on arbitrary numbers from a time where agriculture was the primary driving force of the US.

Since most people were either working in the field or in the home, there was no reason not to start popping out babies at 13 or 14. There simply wasn't anything more to aspire to for a majority of people.

By 18 people knew the minimum to be productive in society. Simply not the case anymore.

brianamato

Forum Probie
I am 19 and have experience providing patient care in clinical and prehospital settings - but I am having trouble finding a job because I am not 21 yet. If a company is an equal opportunity employer are they not "discriminating" because of my age if they refuse to even look at my app because I am under 21?

BTW- if anyone has employment suggestions for me in AZ it would be greatly appreciated!!!! :rolleyes:

Welcome to the world kiddo - when I was 19 I had the same experience so what I did was changed my age to 31 and when I was called in for the interview I appolgized for the "typo" because I had the experience I got the job. Do what you have to do :blush:

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Welcome to the world kiddo - when I was 19 I had the same experience so what I did was changed my age to 31 and when I was called in for the interview I appolgized for the "typo" because I had the experience I got the job. Do what you have to do :blush:

I don't recommend this strategy...

bigbaldguy

Actually, it is very understandable.

There are reams of statistics showing both the safety and economic risks of young drivers. It is very likely they will have some sort of motorvehicle mishap.

From the biological standpoint, it is the age of risk taking for impressing potential mates.

The real dicotomy is that as society progresses, it takes longer to learn all the required knowledge and skills to be a productive adult member.

However, the age of reproduction keeps getting lower because of the abundance and ease of resources.

Yet our laws are based on arbitrary numbers from a time where agriculture was the primary driving force of the US.

Since most people were either working in the field or in the home, there was no reason not to start popping out babies at 13 or 14. There simply wasn't anything more to aspire to for a majority of people.

By 18 people knew the minimum to be productive in society. Simply not the case anymore.

As you said among the poor, despite all of our laws about age of consent women are still having babies at record rates well prior to the age of 18 and here's the kicker to get birth control in many states the girls have to have parental permission if they are not 18. It's a deliberate attempt in my opinion to keep the poor poor and the rich rich. Sorry something of a personal button with me.

bigbaldguy

Yeah I could see this causing problems down the road. Maybe just try leaving DOB blank rather than actually falsify information.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

31 as a typo for 19? Yea right. You're lucky they didn't tell you to please leave and remove you for consideration entirely... for good. Most companies don't like being lied to. And honestly, it shows your character as a person if that's the kind of tactics you wil use

slarve23

Forum Ride Along
As for job experience look into the er's for tech positions. They will pay more then the ambos out here. That is where I got my start and it is very good learning experience. Most docs are very willing to teach and help as are most rn's