Advice for interview on Tues

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
Hi guys, I got invited to one of those "mass interviews" next Tuesday for EMTs at a private. One of our members told me that there was going to be a quiz plus an oral and skills exam. I'm studying my stuff all over again, although I'm not sure if they are going to throw any trauma scenarios at me, i'm a bit nervous especially snice I have no previous experience (this company claims they'll train newly certified EMTs).

slloth

Forum Crew Member
Id say smile be positive and act confident. Stand out, but not in a cocky or annoying way. Just remember "BSI SCENE SAFETY"! and youe ABC's :)

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Volunteer to go first, if it comes to that. The ones that sit and watch what's going on never impressed me much. Jump in, and don't be afraid to just do your best.

8jimi8

CFRN
Hi guys, I got invited to one of those "mass interviews" next Tuesday for EMTs at a private. One of our members told me that there was going to be a quiz plus an oral and skills exam. I'm studying my stuff all over again, although I'm not sure if they are going to throw any trauma scenarios at me, i'm a bit nervous especially snice I have no previous experience (this company claims they'll train newly certified EMTs).

Wear a suit and tie and bring a change of clothes. Shave your face, no cologne and represent yourself as a professional.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
I will speak up because I was there....

Redbull, the written test was in a big room with everyone else. It was just like an EMT-b final, it seemed to have more questioning on patient positioning.

The practical test was oral, I was alone in a room with an interviewer.

He kept rapid fire asking what I would do.

I would go over the practical skills for the final.

I made a mistake by forgetting pulse/motor/sensory as one of the steps. Funny thing is, I never missed it when doing it. Saying it is a whole other ball came.

Have someone look at your skill sheets and really quickly verbalize the steps and have them check you. It was actually harder than just 'doing' it....

Good luck on Tuesday, do not let my experience discourage you.

Let me know how it goes.

OP
OP
R

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
thanks again.as far as patient positioning goes, the only major positions that i can think of are :

treatment for shock (trendelenburg position)
abdominal pain / OBGYN in certain cases (left lateral recumbent)
preferred position of comfort (elderly)
semi fowler

sorry if i missed anything else.

OP
OP
R

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
Conflicted between wearing suit and shoes or polo/khaki and shoes. I want to make a good impression. I would think suit would be the safest but I'm reading thru these interview process threads and they all seem to be recommending polos and khakis.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Conflicted between wearing suit and shoes or polo/khaki and shoes. I want to make a good impression. I would think suit would be the safest but I'm reading thru these interview process threads and they all seem to be recommending polos and khakis.

The thread I started the consensus was suit & tie.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Volunteer to go first, if it comes to that. The ones that sit and watch what's going on never impressed me much. Jump in, and don't be afraid to just do your best.

One of the problems I noticed in a group interview full of paramedics students was that everyone was trying to be that person that volunteered, that leads, and it caused conflict, which is a terrible thing to be involved in during an interview. Avoid conflict or argumentativeness with other candidates.

Definitely suit. All those interview guru types always say you cannot overdress. Also when I was having a suit fitted for my interview, apparently white shirts are the go with a dark suit and usually a darker red or blue tie. Professional and conservative. Its not a day at the races and a light grey suit with a floral tie isn't going to go down well.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Redbull, I think you misunderstood.

Senior Care does mass processing for applicants. However, there is no 'group interview.'

When I went, there was a large room where everyone silently took a written test.

People were called in to a closed office for one on one interviews. The interview was really just an oral test of EMT-b practical skills. He asked me nothing about myself. It was all what would you do if.....

There was no group interview, when I went.

Review all the stations of your practical skills. Study the medical emergencies, and transport postions in your textbook and notes, remember the four s's: sh--, shower, shave and suit, and do your very best.

I regret if any of my posts misled you and again, wish you good luck on Tuesday.

Last edited by a moderator:

CBadger

Forum Ride Along
thanks again.as far as patient positioning goes, the only major positions that i can think of are :

treatment for shock (trendelenburg position)
abdominal pain / OBGYN in certain cases (left lateral recumbent)
preferred position of comfort (elderly)
semi fowler

sorry if i missed anything else.

In my EMT book it was stated that unless local protocol specified, put the pt supine, not trendelenburg, for shock.
Also with positioning, just remember semi fowler for conscious pt w/chest pain, and resp distress. If the acute abd pt is responsive, you can allow them to assume a position of comfort ( I think), usually supine with knees flexed (as you should do with a pt with abd evisceration). And for OBGYN also don't forget McRobert's Position for delivery and shoulder dystocia and the knee chest position for prolapsed cord, breech position, or limb presentation.

Just go with your instincts. You knew everything at least well enough to be certified so be confident and professional. Good luck!

OP
OP
R

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
In my EMT book it was stated that unless local protocol specified, put the pt supine, not trendelenburg, for shock.
Also with positioning, just remember semi fowler for conscious pt w/chest pain, and resp distress. If the acute abd pt is responsive, you can allow them to assume a position of comfort ( I think), usually supine with knees flexed (as you should do with a pt with abd evisceration). And for OBGYN also don't forget McRobert's Position for delivery and shoulder dystocia and the knee chest position for prolapsed cord, breech position, or limb presentation.

Just go with your instincts. You knew everything at least well enough to be certified so be confident and professional. Good luck!

Thanks! :)

I'm actually going to be reviewing the geriatrics chapter the most only because this is a private transport company.

Last edited by a moderator:

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm going in for an interview and testing on the 22nd. I think I am going to wear a button down and a tie. I'm studying protocols and my textbook, as they are having us take a written test and then (for the basics) an oral scenario, as well as the interview.