Advancing Your Career

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
In related conversations), I am intrigued on why or why NOT, to increase your education and professional status. As more and more EMS, are requiring movement from lower to upper level, what made you or why you have not increased your level.

Again, you may vote without posting your feelings.. anonymously.

R/r 911

Alexakat

Forum Lieutenant
When I was young, my parents set the ground rules: I was college bound. There was no discussion or question about it. I wasn't necessarily happy about it because I was interested in EMS & the fire service. My freshman year wasn't the greatest because I was a tad bit spiteful that I was 6 hours from home & not necessarily doing what I wanted. But, I turned it around & completed my Bachelor of Arts in Health Services Administration & English (double major). My job managing a non-clinical department in a hospital has never really been the most exciting & since I'd always been interested in the fire service or EMS, I thought I'd give volunteering a go. It has given me the opportunity to be a part of that world & test the waters to see if the field is something I'm cut out for. My younger sister is a FF/EMT-I in a neighboring city, too (her degree is in Criminal Justice).

I am working on my Master's in Community Health currently. I'm also a wife & we've been trying to start a family for several years now. Advancing my EMS education is something I would like to do; once the Master's degree is behind me. I certainly can afford paramedic education & feel confident that I would do well with the coursework. My commitment, however, is focused on other areas of my education right now. I don't get all riled up about the EMT-B versus ALS, etc. because they always turn to "why don't you get your education?" Well, I do have my education--just in another area, which is often times not considered in these forum discussions. It seems that the general thinking is that if you have EMT-B behind your name, the extent of your education is a 120-hour course. Not necessarily true.

NESDMEDIC

Forum Crew Member
Well Rid,
18 years ago I took my first step into EMS as an EMT-B, after 10 years I wanted to do more for my patients than I could so I took the next step and became an EMT-I 85 which was a little more in depth assesment of patients and a little more A&P and allowed me start iv's and run fluids if need be, still wasn't satisfied as we still had to call for an ALS service to intercept which the closest service is 30 miles from us. I still wasn't satisfied with my limited scope of practice of patient care. So as of last Dec. and 2 more years of education I attained my paramedic status.
Our service is a small rural service in S.D. We cover about 2/3 of the county (approx. 260 square miles) and 5 small towns with populations of around 400 per town with 2 rigs. There are 2 other services in the county with smaller coverage area's. I am the only paramedic in the county. I advanced my level of training because I just wasn't satisfied with the level of care I was able to give to my patients and maybe other's on the squad will follow in the footstep's for advanced care for our patient's. The nearest ALS service is understaffed and 30 miles away. We can have up to a 42 mile transport to the nearest ER and as I am sure you are well aware of stuff can hit the fan quickly during transport needing ALS supportive actions. Will it be easy to stay profiecent in my skills .... NO, but I am confident that I can with extra effort put forth. My next goal after getting a few years of experience as a paramedic is getting my CCP, I guess I am still not satisfied and setting future goals. Rid, one thing I have learned over the years is just because one has finished a program, you are never done learning or studying, a great class only should give you a solid base to build upon the real world is the true teacher, not everyone presents with classic textbook symptoms.

Hastings

Noobie
I've actually been surprised by several unhappy comments by forum members here in the past when the topic of moving on came up. I guess you could say that I'm one of those people who is using EMS as a "Stepping stone" ... except for the fact that I'm staying in EMS; just moving up the EMS ladder.

I went from Basic to Medic, currently going from Medic to RN, and want to go from RN to ER Physician via medical school. I want to do that because I don't really see much of a career as only a paramedic. Nor do I want to spend my life being on what I perceive to be the bottom level. I want to eventually go from following medical orders to making them. But most of all, I just want to feel like I accomplished something difficult and rose to the highest level of my field.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
I have always been looking to get my hands on everything that I could to further enhance my career and further myself up the medical ladder. I may not stick in EMS forever so I always take everything I can get and then some. It is not all about specific things that I need to take like CEU's but rather a ton of extra courses and hospital training to move into something that I may find more interesting one day…I haven’t found it yet but I keep an open mind of things.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I wrestle with this often. EMT-P is definitely out for me, due to my age. There aren't many services who are going to hire a new female EMT-P with a 53 year old back. I have thought often about EMT-I and I go back and forth on the should I shouldn't I. In order to take the class, I will have to drive an hour and a half each way, three times a week for the run of the class.

Then my OTEPs required for recert are no longer an option and I will have to challenge the test every three years. Not a big deal to me, I test well and if I can't pass the test, probably shouldn't be holding the cert. My biggest concern is my low call volume not giving me enough opportunity to practice my skills to adequately maintain competency.

But I'm fortunate to have a well paying 'Day Job' and a working spouse so I don't need to rely on this for income.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm 18 years old... recently graduated high school. I just completed my EMT-B course (still need to take CBT and shuffle paperwork around before it's official) and was concurrently enrolled in college courses (nursing program pre-reqs) during high school. I'll be starting as a pre-nursing major 2 credits away from sophomore status in the fall.

Reasons why I'm working hard to advance at a pretty fast rate:
1. I'm passionate about this field.
2. I'm anxious to get out there and be able to provide a high level of care for patients.
3. I love education. I love being in the classroom and picking my instructor's brains of their wisdom. I know that there's so much out there to learn and I'm very curious about it all.
4. Complete work-a-holic. To be honest my social life doesn't extend much outside of the classroom and my SAR team, but I don't mind.
5. I want to one day reach a point that I will feel confident in any situation this crazy field could throw at me. That obviously will require several decades of education and experience.
6. Let's be honest, the more education you have the more you make. Although money is not a high priority for me, I do want to be able to make enough money one day to live comfortably, raise a family, and be independent.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I have always been looking to get my hands on everything that I could to further enhance my career and further myself up the medical ladder. I may not stick in EMS forever so I always take everything I can get and then some. It is not all about specific things that I need to take like CEU's but rather a ton of extra courses and hospital training to move into something that I may find more interesting one day…I haven’t found it yet but I keep an open mind of things.

That is what I try to emphasize to many EMT and Paramedics. So many do BLS transports to some really interesting places in the hospitals and clinics. Too many are too focused on the "BS factor" to realize what a gold mine of opportunites are around them just through being observant, asking questions or networking. Many professionals will take a few minutes to explain what their job is and what their equipment does. HBO, PFT, MRI, CT Scan and PT (Physical Therapy) rehab are all great places to learn something new with each transport. Some PT centers have better equipment and pools than even the best Gold's or luxury spa could only dream about.

So many also have the "I'm not taking a nursing class" attitude when it is mentioned that they could take an inservice or CEU course on different IV pumps, access ports, trachs or other equipment that one might come across in the field.

There a lot of different "certs" out there that do provide much more expanded education and skills that can lead to additional experience and opportunity. I have often suggested the EMTs take a phlebotomy course and pick up some hours phlebing prior to Paramedic school or working in the ED so they will have a detailed knowledge of the procedure and many sticks done on different types of patients. Their anxiety will be a lot less on their first IV attempt.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
That is what I try to emphasize to many EMT and Paramedics. So many do BLS transports to some really interesting places in the hospitals and clinics. Too many are too focused on the "BS factor" to realize what a gold mine of opportunites are around them just through being observant, asking questions or networking. Many professionals will take a few minutes to explain what their job is and what their equipment does. HBO, PFT, MRI, CT Scan and PT (Physical Therapy) rehab are all great places to learn something new with each transport. Some PT centers have better equipment and pools than even the best Gold's or luxury spa could only dream about.

So many also have the "I'm not taking a nursing class" attitude when it is mentioned that they could take an inservice or CEU course on different IV pumps, access ports, trachs or other equipment that one might come across in the field.

There a lot of different "certs" out there that do provide much more expanded education and skills that can lead to additional experience and opportunity. I have often suggested the EMTs take a phlebotomy course and pick up some hours phlebing prior to Paramedic school or working in the ED so they will have a detailed knowledge of the procedure and many sticks done on different types of patients. Their anxiety will be a lot less on their first IV attempt.
You hit the nail on the head. I love doing transports just to get to walk around a hospital. I get excited being able to walk through USC LAC medical center, and see all the med students, the radiology equipment, etc. I never take this type of exposure for granted.

As for the OP, my education is currently expanding. I am pursing a bachelor degree as we speak, and I am an EMT now because I want exposure to the real practice of medicine. While I probably wont become a Paramedic, I certainly am going to "be" something more than I am at this point. My current thoughts are, in two years, are applying to medical school, or, applying to the EPA as a criminal investigator (I hate pollution). I do not plan on being a basic forever, but I respect those that are for the good of their communities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Capt.Hook

Forum Crew Member
There always more to do. I have found myself in at least the last 2 years ALWAYS having more training and education on my mind. FR was one thinf, EMT-B was just another. I will eventually work as a medic, even part time. This theory doesn't even pay for itself, but I'm willing to go forward.

My job is very good, especially to support 5 little ones and a wonderful wife. I want to do more. Learn more. My education will be expanding.... just for my ability to learn and desire to better myself, let alone the folks around my town.

OP
OP
Ridryder911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Sorry the poll somehow did not post... but; most got the jest of the question....

R/r911

MAC4NH

Forum Crew Member
I became an EMT-A in 1987 while I was in Chiropractic College. I worked in Southern California for a year and then moved back to NJ to practice chiropractic. I stayed in EMS on a volunteer basis for about 17 years. I thought about upgrading to paramedic many years ago but that wasn't really compatible with building a clinical practice and starting a family. About 3 years ago I got out of chiropractic and decided to go in another direction in health care. I started working full-time as an over-educated EMT. Today I got accepted to the paramedic program where I work. I start in September. Once that is done, I'm going for an RN and then NP.

The general drift of many of the posts is that there is always another level you can aspire to. Not everyone wants to go to the next level. Not everyone should go to the next level. If you only take the minimum continuing ed to maintain your cert, you can be content at that level. However, if you continually increase you knowledge to try to get better at your particular certification level, you will eventually hit a "scope of practice" ceiling. You will feel frustrated about the limitations of your level and then you will take steps to move up. This happened to me in chiropractic and it's happening in EMS. That is a decision every person has to make for themselves.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry the poll somehow did not post... but; most got the jest of the question....

R/r911

Did you mean Gist?
gist - noun 1. the main or essential part of a matter: What was the gist of his speech?
2. the ground of a legal action.

[Origin: 1720–30; < AF (cest action) gist (this matter) lies, 3rd sing. pres. indic. of AF, OF gesir to lie ≪ L jacére]

or were you merely jesting?:p:p:p

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
It would have been interesting to see the results of the poll, as well as the options to choose from!!

I can only comment on our training this side as i am not 100% on the ball with your training.

This is a big topic this side, as there is an introduction of some new qualifications , and the phasing out of some of the older ones. This brings up the age old battle of different qulifications (of the same level of practice) to new heights. Once again, people are resistant to change, and then not to mention the fact some individuals feel threatened to the point where they join hands with arch rivals (between different qualifications).

From a personal side, i started of doing my BLS, then ILS, and then went to a tertiary instution for 4 years to basicaly start from scrath and finishing of a ALS and currently busy completing my last subject toward my degree in EMC. What prompted me to do it?? A combination: As a worked as a BLS, i was exposed to different levels and qualification. I went for the one i believed to be the superior qualification. Is it also not comferting to know that you have done everthing in your power to be able to treat the patient at the (not yours) highest level possible?? Its not so easy if you are used to earning a salary, and now you have much less to do the same with. However, many have done the same before me, and i know many will still do it after me. My main motivation was: "No matter how bad you think you have it, there is always some else who is worse off than you", implying that if they could do it so can I.

My motto when dealing with students is simple: "Treated and encourage them as you were wanted to be treated as a student and human being" There are many folks out there who treat you as just another student, and belittle you.We were, or still are (myself included) students at some stage of the game, as no one can start and just go straight to the top. I try and create oppertunities for students as i know that not everyone has the resource of money available to them.

It is not human nature to take a risk and place what we are comfortable on the line. Do yourself a favour and take the risk, you will be dually rewarded, it will not only be beneficial for you, but also for the patient...

Good luck.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I, too, would like to see a poll to respond to, as the broad responses make it difficult to grasp what the general trend of thought is. The more specific the choices, the better.

Thanks for your continual emphasis on further study as a valid path.