Abbreviations Explained

Canadian

Forum Crew Member
Hello everyone,

I think this is the perfect place to post this thread as it is definitely "EMS talk"!
I'm hoping below we can start a list going of all the abbreviations used on this site. There are probably a few hundred that have been used and here where I live I've never heard some of the abbreviations used here at all. This will be great for foreigners, people new to the forum, and those who don't use abbreviations! Thanks in advance! Hopefully now I'll be able to read a full paragraph with out googling abbreviations :)

AeroClinician

Forum Crew Member
PMD - Paramedic
CCP - Critical Care Paramedic
NRP - Nationally Certified Paramedic or Neonatal Resuscitation Program
NREMT - National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians
IAFCCP - International Association of Flight and Critical Care Paramedics
ASTNA - Air and Surface Transport Nurses Association
NAEMT - National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians
FP-C - Certified Flight Paramedic
CCP-C - Certified Critical Care Paramedic
BCCTPC - Board for Critical Care Transport Paramedic Certification
UF-CCP - University of Florida Critical Care Paramedic
CCEMT-P - Critical Care Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedic
BLS - Basic Life Support
BTLS - Basic Trauma Life Support
ACLS - Advanced Cardiac Life Support
PALS - Pediatric Advanced Life Support
PHTLS - Prehospital Trauma Life Support
ATLS - Advanced Trauma Life Support
AMCCC - Air Medical Crew Core Curriculum
ABLS - Advanced Burn Life Support
AMLS - Advanced Medical Life Support
LVH - Left Ventricular Hypertrophy
LVAD - Left Ventricular Assist Device
EVOC - Emergency Vehicle Operators Course
NIBP - Non-Invasive Blood Pressure
CVP - Central Venous Pressure
PAP - Pulmonary Arterial Pressure
PCWP - Pulmonary Capillary Wedge Pressure

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
PMD - Paramedic
PMD also stands for "primary medical doctor."

Hello everyone,

I think this is the perfect place to post this thread as it is definitely "EMS talk"!
I'm hoping below we can start a list going of all the abbreviations used on this site. There are probably a few hundred that have been used and here where I live I've never heard some of the abbreviations used here at all. This will be great for foreigners, people new to the forum, and those who don't use abbreviations! Thanks in advance! Hopefully now I'll be able to read a full paragraph with out googling abbreviations :)

What specifically are you looking for? There are a lot of abbreviations, and some of them are context dependent (i.e. PCR: Polymerase chain reaction vs patient care report or does BLS mean "basic life support" in the sense of CPR or "basic life support" in the sense of EMTs.)

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
CCP is also used for Critical Care Physician, aka Intensivist.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
SMH = shake my head

;)

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
ALS - Ain't lifting....stuff.

Honestly I bet you will find you won't need lists after you have been in the field for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief

Honestly I bet you will find you won't need lists after you have been in the field for a while.

Agreed. When I came across the 5 page section in the book of abbreviations, I glanced over it and said screw this. Get in the field, or read sample run reports. See what is actually used. Don't know it? Ask your teammates. It eventually becomes second nature.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
No to mention every place you work will likely have different rules about which abbreviations if any you are able to use in run reports

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

BLS...basic lifting service hahah

No to mention every place you work will likely have different rules about which abbreviations if any you are able to use in run reports

We have a packet if approved abbreviations you're given during orientation.

On the note of PMd for Paramedic or Primary Medical Doctor. We use PCP, Primary Care Physician. ER Docs are ERPs.

JPINFV

Gadfly
LOL FDGB. Little Old Lady, Fall Down Go Boom.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Were trying to get away from abbreviations, to easy to question what means what. Just type everything out

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Were trying to get away from abbreviations, to easy to question what means what. Just type everything out

evy7enud.jpg