20 y/o dies from gaming induced pulmonary embolus

sirengirl

Forum Lieutenant
Story here.

I noticed it when I opened up yahoo just now on my news feed. As I read the article (which is mostly about gaming and childhood obseity, nothing really medical) I got to wondering about others' experiences with pt cc of pulmonary embolus. I've never gotten such a patient, and wondered under what circumstances anyone else ever has....

Discuss!

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
I think the poster children for PE are typically old, bed-confined pts with recent surgery or old people with a hx of a-fib. I personally haven't had a younger (under 30) pt with a PE yet, I know women are particularly prone to PE due to birth control pills having an increased chance of forming clots.

I wouldn't think PEs in Gamers to be common just on the grounds that most of us have to get up occasionally to grab a soda or food. I doubt many of us will see a similar patient in our careers.

OP
OP
sirengirl

sirengirl

Forum Lieutenant
Was my thought as well. In fact up to this point I don't think I've ever heard of a PE induced by gaming (or other sedentary activity) in someone so young. We're always taught that it's things like long travel on planes or longstanding hx....

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yep I had a patient with a PE. 43 y/o female patient. She was complaining of slight SOB for about a week. All vital signs were normal for that week. At 11pm she went into a kind of pannic attack. 911 was called. The PE was caused by birth control pills mixed with no excersize for a long time. The patient started working out and according to the doctor that is was made the blood clot break off from her leg. She is now on blood thinners for the rest of her life.

guttruck

Forum Crew Member
Ok this comes from playing World of Warcraft for 5 years (yes I know let the ribbing start) but the "hardcore" gamer will have bouts of rage in the middle of playing the game producing plenty of movement. One of the major reasons I quit playing "social" video games was the general decline in my personal health. You do move around weather it is to get a Mtn. Dew or some cheesy poofs but its still little to no movement.
Now after the loss of over 100lbs, obtaining a good job, and a wonderful engagement I can say for me that doing nothing but playing video games is not good for your health. That is just my personal opinion

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I had a gal in her 30s once with a PE. I don't remember vitals or nothing, but she had sudden onset severe SOB and looked bad. That has to be one of the sickest PTs I've ever had. It was all I could to to keep her from slipping into complete panic which I'm sure would have only made it worse. Eventually her LOR decreased enough that I didn't have to keep her from panicking. At that point of course I wished I was back trying to keep her from panicking. Lol!

Sent from a small, handheld electronic device that somehow manages to consume vast amounts of my time. Also know as a smart phone.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
The big danger in writing off SOB and tachycardia as anxiety is missing a PE.

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm paranoid that SSM is going to kill me with one of those.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Brown is convinced all the hours at the ambulance station watching telly are going to kill Brown with DVT

*Brown scoffs down some coumadin

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Correlation with atrial fibulation?

Example of when getting certain parts of a history before the pt goes out is important.

freebyrd

Forum Crew Member
from the article--------

Reports of gamers collapsing after spending 15 hours in front of video games are fairly common throughout Asia.

In 2005, a South Korean gamer died after playing online games for three days without taking a break.

Microsoft -- which manufactures the Xbox -- said it "recommend gamers take breaks to exercise as well as make time for other pursuits."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
i would like to see the toxicology report on these asian deaths
hard to believe that some sort of stimulant wasn't involved

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
"fibulation!?"

My apologies

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
bladder of steel? :unsure:

Empty 2 liter bottles at the ready, and really strong anal sphincter control I guess....

Anyway, I remember seeing this on Spike TV's 1,000 ways to die.