Your skills verification experience (CA)

soto650

Forum Ride Along
Hello again, so as part of my CA recert, I need to take a skills verification test. I was wondering, how have your tests experiences been? was it mostly explaining, or was it all hands on? does it depend where you do it? your thoughts please!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It's all (or at least should be) hands on. In order to preform skills you don't need to really know anything. It's just can you follow the correct steps of a trauma assessment, medical assessment, backboarding, etc.

That is exactly what my recerts have been like "ok, show me how to apply a traction splint" "now show me how to apply the KED".

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
In CA any certified EMT can fill out a skills verification. There are a couple guys at my company who do that with each other.

Every month my company provides a skills verification "class" so we can do our verification for recert. I just did mine last week. Its basically "Here is what you have. Show me."

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
In CA any certified EMT can fill out a skills verification. There are a couple guys at my company who do that with each other.

Every month my company provides a skills verification "class" so we can do our verification for recert. I just did mine last week. Its basically "Here is what you have. Show me."

Not all counties are like this.

For mine only approved medics can test us out on skills. We take our filled out form to our county EMS officer. They make sure all the people who tested us out are approved. If they are not approved and on their list the county will not accept our skills form.

Last edited by a moderator:

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Not all counties are like this.

For mine only approved medics can test us out on skills. We take our filled out form to our county EMS officer. They make sure all the people who tested us out are approved.

Didnt know it was a county by county thing, but I like your way better.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Didnt know it was a county by county thing, but I like your way better.

Nor did I. I turned in my skills verification form last year and one of the people testing me out wasn't on their approved form. So after about 2 hours of calling my agency they finally worked things out.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Thats funny, because I did my skills verification with my company, an LA County company, but the paper listed our sister company in Orange County, and I recerted in Ventura County :p