Your Ideal Uniform

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I actually like my badge. It brings out the color of my eyes haha.

To me it would look weird if the police and fire department are on scene with uniforms and badges then there is the ambulance crew in polo shirts with no badges lol.

Not calling you out but why do you say that?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Not calling you out but why do you say that?

The general public views professionals as always wearing some sort of uniform. EMS is seen as a public service with professionals taking care of you. Fire is seen as a public service with professionals that take care of you and protect your property. Police is seen as a public service with professionals that keep the public safe.

If the public isn't happy with something it gets changed. So we have to keep the public happy.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
I second what Firefite said, I think my midnight navy class B with badge and metal name tag make me look like a professional in the eyes of the public, but then again I also wash the ambulance every shift...

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
I think the FD in my hometown got it right when they moved from poly, look like police navy blue pants/button down shirts to 5.11 tan button down shorts and blue pants.

It made them instantly recognizable as NOT po-po along being cooler in the summer.

Why the need for all the uniform pin on bling? Is it really neccessary to have pins identifying what people do?

I love my employers uniform because it isnt blue. Now if we could move to more comfortable items Id be happy.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
The company I work for is also deciding on new uniform styles, and the overwhelming theme we seem to have is "anything but jumpsuits!" That being said, I'm a big fan of the classic navy blue button up with county and company shoulder patches and a gold name bar on the front. Too many pins, rockers and add-ons just start to make things look messy and give people extra things to take off their shirts before tossing them in the laundry. Blue shirt, blue pants, boots and a nice jacket are all you need to look professional. Forget the "superhero" utility belts and chest vests, to an experienced person these look goofy, and if people want them, they can get them on their own dime.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
What i wear
Navy botton downs/polos when its warm
navy cargo pants
black boots, belt
unit patch, cert patch, name tapes

What i would like
Neon and green jumpsuits like the UK, far more funtional and easier to doff and donn at night

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I'm not a huge fan of looking like LEOs. I like being neutral (in appearance).

Acadian's uniforms are on point.

I wouldn't go that far, if they are still the dark green shirts with the dark green pants, it is almost invisible on the street at night.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We wear nomex flight suits. Name tapes with name and rank. Agency patch on left, NR medic patch on the right, service embroidered on the back. I wasn't a fan in the beginning, now I couldn't go back to a regular uniform.

Comfortable, instantly identifiable as a medic and easy to take one and off.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
We wear nomex flight suits. Name tapes with name and rank. Agency patch on left, NR medic patch on the right, service embroidered on the back. I wasn't a fan in the beginning, now I couldn't go back to a regular uniform.

Comfortable, instantly identifiable as a medic and easy to take one and off.

See, that's basically the perfect uniform. Any reflective material? If it were an ANSI 2 or 3 compliant uniform, it'd be perfect.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
I wouldn't go that far, if they are still the dark green shirts with the dark green pants, it is almost invisible on the street at night.

Yep still the same dark pants and mint green shirts for medics with the bosses in white shirts. I like how it looks different from the normal shades of blue most of the others are wearing.

I would like to see a brighter green like used overseas with the reflective material added in. Would be alot more visible.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Yep still the same dark pants and mint green shirts for medics with the bosses in white shirts. I like how it looks different from the normal shades of blue most of the others are wearing.

I would like to see a brighter green like used overseas with the reflective material added in. Would be alot more visible.

definately could use some reflective material

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
See, that's basically the perfect uniform. Any reflective material? If it were an ANSI 2 or 3 compliant uniform, it'd be perfect.

Yeah. Reflective stripes on the sides, and when we're out in a place where we need to be ANSI compliant (read: MVAs) out come the bright yellow 5.11 super reflective coats.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah. Reflective stripes on the sides, and when we're out in a place where we need to be ANSI compliant (read: MVAs) out come the bright yellow 5.11 super reflective coats.

The more reflective stuff, the better, far as I can tell.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
to the OP, I think you need to remember that everyone will suggest what they use, and what they like. plus, everyone's personal preferences will have to be taken into account.

I LOVE 5.11 tactical polo shirts. The pen holder on the sleeve is awesome, and I think they are super comfortable. Name gets embroidered on one side of the chest, and agency logo embroidered (preferred) or silk screened on the opposite side. As for color, dark, either navy blue or some other dark color to hide the dirt. On the back, put agency identification silk screened on. If you want a button down shirt, either light blue, dark blue, grey, or some other color.

For all supervisors, white shirts. Agency ranks are sewn on collar insignia on job shirt, button down shirts, and on epaulets on jackets.

For the cooler days, get a Game Gear jobshirt, with name on one side, and agency patches and level of training as appropriate. if you use badges (and I actually like them, esp cloth ones on job shirts), put them on the opposite side.

As for Pants, I LOVE my Spiewak EMS pants. Best part of them is the cargo pockets zipper closed, so you don't have to worry about things falling out.
JKT-S1680.jpg

I have never worn this, but my agency was looking at getting these:
1350_b.jpg

The reason was it's versatile, can be used in various weather conditions, and it meets the visibility requirement for highway jobs. It is a little pricey, but it's 6 used save you having to buy a light and heavy jacket, and it has a hood.

Boots, belts, and thermal gloves are the individuals responsibility.

I don't like any name tags, because they get lost, or they can stick the wearer if they end up in an uncomfortable position (been there, done that). Ditto EMT bars. Photo IDs need to be carried on the person, but since names are embroidered, no need to attach an ID (which can get lost way too easily, been there done that).

Like it or not, badges are used by the fire service and law enforcement for a reason. it helps add to the professionalism, and is good for frontal identification. If you want to be considered one of the big boys, do what they do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
to the OP, I think you need to remember that everyone will suggest what they use, and what they like. plus, everyone's personal preferences will have to be taken into account.

I LOVE 5.11 tactical polo shirts. The pen holder on the sleeve is awesome, and I think they are super comfortable. Name gets embroidered on one side of the chest, and agency logo embroidered (preferred) or silk screened on the opposite side. As for color, dark, either navy blue or some other dark color to hide the dirt. On the back, put agency identification silk screened on. If you want a button down shirt, either light blue, dark blue, grey, or some other color.

For all supervisors, white shirts. Agency ranks are sewn on collar insignia on job shirt, button down shirts, and on epaulets on jackets.

For the cooler days, get a Game Gear jobshirt, with name on one side, and agency patches and level of training as appropriate. if you use badges (and I actually like them, esp cloth ones on job shirts), put them on the opposite side.

As for Pants, I LOVE my Spiewak EMS pants. Best part of them is the cargo pockets zipper closed, so you don't have to worry about things falling out.
JKT-S1680.jpg

I have never worn this, but my agency was looking at getting these:
1350_b.jpg

The reason was it's versatile, can be used in various weather conditions, and it meets the visibility requirement for highway jobs. It is a little pricey, but it's 6 used save you having to buy a light and heavy jacket, and it has a hood.

Boots, belts, and thermal gloves are the individuals responsibility.

I don't like any name tags, because they get lost, or they can stick the wearer if they end up in an uncomfortable position (been there, done that). Ditto EMT bars. Photo IDs need to be carried on the person, but since names are embroidered, no need to attach an ID (which can get lost way too easily, been there done that).

Like it or not, badges are used by the fire service and law enforcement for a reason. it helps add to the professionalism, and is good for frontal identification. If you want to be considered one of the big boys, do what they do.

I don't want to be considered fire or LEO.

I am a medical professional.

I stated before. I like my name badge. It is a clip not a pin and can be turned around and removed when I don't want people to know my name.

DrParasite

I don't want to be considered fire or LEO.

I am a medical professional.
Sure, if you want to stick with your 12 an hour job, no pension, being treated like crap and constantly underfunded, that's your choice. And you don't have to be considered Fire or LEO, but you want to be seen as an equal to both fire and LEO, especially on a scene when you are both operating, and when the distribution of funding is being considered.

otherwise EMS will continue to be the :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: step child of the emergency services family (and yes, medical professionals are part of emergency services).
I stated before. I like my name badge. It is a clip not a pin and can be turned around and removed when I don't want people to know my name.
what you are describing sounds like an ID badge; I was referring to a metal name badge.

As others have said, part of being a professional is being accountable for your actions, and many states REQUIRE you to have your name displayed.

from a customer service standpoint, but aren't you supposed to introduce yourself to the patient? and if not, if they ask for your name, and you don't want them to know your name, then what? do you lie to them?

Think of it this way: do other medical professionals hide their names? I know many ER doctors who have their names embroidered on their white coats, as well as on their scrubs. And JAACO requires ID to be identified at all times.

It's called being a professional. If you look and act like one, you have a better chance of being treated (and funded) as one

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Navy blue tracksuit. Certification/licensure patch on the right, agency patch on the left. Throw some reflective striping down the sides of the pants and you're good to go. Oh, and make sure the pants are tear away with the snaps down the leg so you can just tear them right off and drop them into a bio bag when they get contaminated. No need for a shirt under the track jacket.

seriously, though, my school uniform shirts are class Bs made by Horace-small, I like them, they're comfortable and don't really need to be ironed.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Sure, if you want to stick with your 12 an hour job, no pension, being treated like crap and constantly underfunded, that's your choice. And you don't have to be considered Fire or LEO, but you want to be seen as an equal to both fire and LEO, especially on a scene when you are both operating, and when the distribution of funding is being considered.

otherwise EMS will continue to be the :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: step child of the emergency services family (and yes, medical professionals are part of emergency services).
what you are describing sounds like an ID badge; I was referring to a metal name badge.

As others have said, part of being a professional is being accountable for your actions, and many states REQUIRE you to have your name displayed.

from a customer service standpoint, but aren't you supposed to introduce yourself to the patient? and if not, if they ask for your name, and you don't want them to know your name, then what? do you lie to them?

Think of it this way: do other medical professionals hide their names? I know many ER doctors who have their names embroidered on their white coats, as well as on their scrubs. And JAACO requires ID to be identified at all times.

It's called being a professional. If you look and act like one, you have a better chance of being treated (and funded) as one

Sure I introduce myself to patients but I don't want Jo bob walking up to me in the gas station and knowing my name. You don't know if he's some creepy stalker freak. After a few "hey sasha!" From strangers I started to flip it around. I've also run into creepy guys who grab my name tag to "read" my name easier. Being that it hangs very near my breast you can imagine how this feels like an invasion of personal space.

Flipped around no one has done those things.

If someone's angry and wants to see my name I can easily flip it around for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrParasite

Sure I introduce myself to patients but I don't want Jo bob walking up to me in the gas station and knowing my name. You don't know if he's some creepy stalker freak. After a few "hey sasha!" From strangers I started to flip it around. I've also run into creepy guys who grab my name tag to "read" my name easier. Being that it hangs very near my breast you can imagine how this feels like an invasion of personal space.

Flipped around no one has done those things.

If someone's angry and wants to see my name I can easily flip it around for them.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this topic.

I don't display my ID ever on my uniform. I used to, but after losing one on a cardiac arrest, and another after a rollover, and lastly after I got into scrape with an EDP (PD wasn't on scene), i decided the clips suck and after $30 each to replace it, now it stays in my pocket. Supervisor always bugged me about it, but I wasn't paying for a new one (again).

At my new job, my name is embroidered on my polo, job shirt, and my button down uniform shirts. ID still stays in my pocket, and can be presented upon request.

btw, if I were you, and a creepy guy grabbed my ID, his arm would be removed, either by me or by LEO. Don't touch me, don't grab any part of me, don't grab anything on me; if you do, my response will not be pleasant. and if I was a tiny hottie (no offense), I would expect my partner to take appropriate action. But that's just me, and your actions and opinion might differ.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I have to wear uncomfortable nomex uniforms. Feels like sandpaper.