"You work for me!" How to respond?"

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
How do you respond to some tool that tells you things like:

"You work for me!"

"I pay your salary!"

"My taxes pay for you, so do as I tell you!"

I always said "I pay taxes too, therefore I pay my own salary, which means in a sense I am my own boss, and this is how I am gonna do xyz...then I point at the next guy and say YOUR salary paid for him and he has no rank or decision making authority"...

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
I usually respond with we are a private service and and chances are your not gonna pay your bill anyway so shut up and let me do my job.

ok I dont really say that

BEorP

Forum Captain
Ask 'em for a plastic bag, like a grocery bag, insert your foot into the bag, and tie the handles of the bag together around your ankle/lower tib-fib. I used to do that at work when I mopped. :D

Sorry, can't help ya with anything else. :[

Not sure if you're serious or making a joke, but this sure seems like a good way to then end up slipping and falling instead. I think there may be a commercial boot cover that would be much better for services where this is frequently an issue.

When it comes to snow covered boots (working in the Great White North) I always make sure to stomp on the mat outside and kick off any snow I can but I also exaggerate this movement so the patient/bystanders can see that I'm at least trying to minimize the amount of stuff I track in. Though I'm sure not everyone will be pleased by this, many people did notice and appreciate the gesture.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
That's where being private or vollie is great. :) If not, "Sir, I work for the whole community, so I can't accommodate your request," or the good old "Sorry, we're not allowed to do that."

Not sure if you're serious or making a joke, but this sure seems like a good way to then end up slipping and falling instead. I think there may be a commercial boot cover that would be much better for services where this is frequently an issue.

I've had people give me bootcovers occasionally, after I tell them I can't take off my shoes. I'll only accept them under very limited circumstances, and then I'll tell them that they can't expect crews to always wear them. The covers are a little slippery, but not too bad. I wouldn't use them while moving a patient, and I wouldn't take the time to put them on if I thought anything serious was happening.

I also try to get as much mud off my boots as possible before coming in, as a matter of professionalism. I know it'll be an interesting call when I track mud into a spotless house and nobody even notices.

Simusid

Forum Captain
"Actually sir/ma'am, we're a private non-profit. We don't get a penny of your tax dollars from the town. By the way, did you receive our annual pledge drive letter?"

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
"Actually sir/ma'am, we're a private non-profit. We don't get a penny of your tax dollars from the town. By the way, did you receive our annual pledge drive letter?"

Gonna have to use that one!

atropine

Forum Captain
Every now and then some news paper will write up an article, like the OC Register wrote that an OCFA employee made over 200k, big deal, or the LA Times wrote on a LAFD employee making over 170K for one year, big deal. Just provide the service you are there to provide with proffessional attitude and things will be fine.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Every now and then some news paper will write up an article, like the OC Register wrote that an OCFA employee made over 200k, big deal, or the LA Times wrote on a LAFD employee making over 170K for one year, big deal. Just provide the service you are there to provide with proffessional attitude and things will be fine.

We get that all the time with Ontario's "Sunshine List" of public employees making over 100K. Problems with it are:
- accounting for inflation, 100K when the list was started is almost 130K now.
- it doesn't differentiate between base pay and OT. So if a medic gets consistently screwed with shift overrun or comes in regularly to fill in on extra shift the public gets the impression that their pay is higher than it is. Sure they made more, but they worked a lot more.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I was serious. :) I wouldn't be surprised if it increased the odd of you slipping, but I doubt the increase would be significant; it's not like you're putting on ice skates.