You have a C-Collar?

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
Not really BLS topic worthy so I'm leaving it here. Was sent to one of our less privileged hospitals recently and while waiting for our nurse to finish the paperwork on our patient a fellow rig lent out two C-Collars to patients in the ER at the request of the nurses.

One patient was there after having been in a car accident. In both cases our EMTs applied the collars to these random patients. No idea how these patients were "delivered" but after-the-fact collar borrowed from our rigs was boggling the mind a bit.

:unsure:

Steam Engine

Forum Lieutenant
I don't know, that just sounds like an invitation for all sorts of problems. Depending upon the situation I may have lent the nurses the c-collars, but there's no way I would have been making any sort of patient contact.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
While waiting for your paperworks, another crew lent applied collars to pt. in the ER. Interesting. You guys actually have trauma equipment in L.A.? Now, that's mind boggling to me.

I've carried people out of cars and helped ER staff get 'em onto beds and wheelchairs. People in this field are too scared, afraid of the boogie man carrying law suits.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I can understand EDs not keeping LSBs and collars in stock... many many times when patients walk in s/p trauma, i've seen the staff just go outside to the ambulance bay and steal from the stock waiting for pickup.

I've also seen other BLS trucks bring in a patient with resp. distress and in semi-fowlers, only to come out to the truck a few minutes later and bring an LSB, collar and straps inside, then 10 minutes later bring the stretcher, board and straps outside and put them away. It turns out they dropped the patient in dispatch and the nurse insisted they board.

OP
OP
FourLoko

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
While waiting for your paperworks, another crew lent applied collars to pt. in the ER. Interesting. You guys actually have trauma equipment in L.A.? Now, that's mind boggling to me.

I've carried people out of cars and helped ER staff get 'em onto beds and wheelchairs. People in this field are too scared, afraid of the boogie man carrying law suits.

Our private IFT company has collars, head beds, backboards, traction splints. Pretty sure we have to have them.

I can understand EDs not keeping LSBs and collars in stock... many many times when patients walk in s/p trauma, i've seen the staff just go outside to the ambulance bay and steal from the stock waiting for pickup.

I've also seen other BLS trucks bring in a patient with resp. distress and in semi-fowlers, only to come out to the truck a few minutes later and bring an LSB, collar and straps inside, then 10 minutes later bring the stretcher, board and straps outside and put them away. It turns out they dropped the patient in dispatch and the nurse insisted they board.

I'm new so this was new to me. Not so surprised they didn't have the collars, just that they were having us apply them after the fact.