x rays

beantown native

Forum Crew Member
femur fracture, struck by auto... note the lateral rotation of the left leg by seeing the patella...

Attachments

• EXP0000.jpg
    EXP0000.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 531
  • xray 2.jpg
    xray 2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 307
  • xrays.jpg
    xrays.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 344
OP
OP
B

beantown native

Forum Crew Member
same person... only right side and pelvis...

Attachments

• EXP0000.jpg
    EXP0000.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 323
  • EXP0001.jpg
    EXP0001.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 292
Last edited by a moderator:

Melmd

Forum Crew Member
Ouch! He had a bad day femur fracture + neck and possible greater trochanter and symphysis pubis (ischium) :sad:

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Very cool. Takes me a while to see what's going on but once I see it I'm like wow!

OP
OP
B

beantown native

Forum Crew Member
thanks, but if you dont see it , ask, and I will explain what I can. I should have alot more come for the weekend. I will also try to explain a little better

bigbaldguy

Just looked back at these and realized what you meant about rotation using the patella as a marker. Man my leg hurts just looking at these.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
That was one BIG hit :sad: Hows the PT doing? Hope he is recovering!

bigbaldguy

I would also be interested in patient outcome and I know you can't go into specifics but a general age range (old, young, pedi ect) would be interesting.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I have a bunch of pictures... sources unclear and patient outcomes unclear. Thoughts?

0042003200f2a.jpg

snowblower-xray.jpg

Glass-in-Wound-580x191.jpg

bigbaldguy

1. Dead
2. Promising piano career cut short
3. No clue (edit maybe a knife broken off).

bigbaldguy

That first one is I believe what they refer to as an internal decapitation.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Yeah, #1 is a C4-C5 separation-- doesn't that innervate the diaphragm, among other organs? "Break C4, Breathe no more!"

#2 is a Snowblower accident
#3 is a knife tip, and no discernible damage to the bone.

bigbaldguy

Yeah, #1 is a C4-C5 separation-- doesn't that innervate the diaphragm, among other organs? "Break C4, Breathe no more!"

#2 is a Snowblower accident
#3 is a knife tip, and no discernible damage to the bone.

Just googled it and apparently it is possible to survive an internal decapitation and make a full recovery but I suspect with the amount of misalignment in this case that probably wasn't the case.

thenextebell2

Forum Probie
Pretty cool image - curious about what looks like the hub from a catheter used for a needle cric? Am I seeing things? or trying to make cool things up in my head....

hippocratical

Forum Lieutenant
Just googled it and apparently it is possible to survive an internal decapitation and make a full recovery but I suspect with the amount of misalignment in this case that probably wasn't the case.

Yeah, but who would X-ray a corpse? I'm guessing an incredibly lucky person who is somehow alive. Wouldn't like to be them though...

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
I've taken x-rays of dead animals in the clinic to aid in necropsies or for evidence in animal cruelty cases. I would imagine similar things may be done to people.