Writing for Publication

NancyPerry

EMS World Editor
As the editor of EMS World, a monthly publication for EMTs and paramedics, and EMSWorld.com, I am often approached by folks who are interested in writing for publication, but don't have any idea how to start the process. We are always interested in working with new writers, or providing advice to folks considering trying their hand at writing. If anyone has any specific questions, please feel free to ask.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Nancy,

Thank you so much for coming in and talking with us about article publication and the process involved with the submission of an article to EMS World. As you know, I am currently working on my article on EMS Education for submission to EMS World Magazine. Once I finish my manuscript and submit it to you, what is the next step?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Nancy,
So if I wanted to write an article for EMSworld (I have two that were written for an EMS website, but they are admittedly not publication quality yet....) how would I go about doing it? the ones I have are more about operations than clinical issues.

thanks

Dan

OP
OP
N

NancyPerry

EMS World Editor
Once you have finished the article and submitted it, it will be sent out for blind peer review by members of our editorial advisory board. This process may take up to four weeks. If revisions are requested, we will return to the author with a list of suggested changes. Authors are given 12 weeks to make revisions, but if they need more time, that can be arranged. Once the article is accepted, we either assign it a specific publication month, or it goes into a holding file to be assigned a month. It can be several months before an article will be published for a variety of reasons. Once the article has been assigned a month, it is then edited and a proof sent to the author.

OP
OP
N

NancyPerry

EMS World Editor
Dan:

We feature many types of articles, not just clinical ones, so operations content is certainly of interest. The first thing to do before writing an article is to query the editor to make sure they are interested in the topic and to make sure they don't already have something on that subject. When you say you have written articles but they are not of publication quality yet, what do you mean by that? We are featuring on online writing curriculum this year, which will walk people through the publication process. Check it out at http://www.emsworld.com/web/online/Education/The-Write-Stuff--Part-1--Introduction/5$15751.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Payment, and author's retention of any rights?

:huh:..........
MAybe this ought to be in advertising section, but it is a very very welcome entry in my mind.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
:huh:..........
MAybe this ought to be in advertising section, but it is a very very welcome entry in my mind.
Nope, it's not advertising. Nancy Perry was specifically invited to post this here, and we are grateful that she accepted.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Just out of curiosity are authors paid for submissions?

OP
OP
N

NancyPerry

EMS World Editor
Authors are paid for articles printed in EMS World Magazine. Compensation varies for articles posted online.

mycrofft

How about retention of any rights by authors for either published or unpublished but accepted materials? If the publiction reserves rights, do they revert to the author after a period of time if the article is not published? (Or if it is?).

OP
OP
N

NancyPerry

EMS World Editor
EMS World retains the exclusive right to the first publication of the work and for 365 days after first publication. After that, publication rights revert back to the author, although we retain the right to republish the article in any media format. Rights reverting back to the author after a particular time if the article is not published would be handled on a case by case basis. If an article is accepted for publication, it will be published, so we haven't come across that scenario yet.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Nancy,

You stated that before an article is submitted, a writer should contact the editor first to see if they are interested in the topic and that they don't have anything else in the works.

Is there a specific method to do this, or should they use the "Contact Us" page from the website?

mycrofft

Thank you!

and welcome!

BEorP

Forum Captain
What length are articles typically? Do you happen to have a link to author/submission guidelines for formatting and that type of thing? Thanks!

OP
OP
N

NancyPerry

EMS World Editor
Articles vary in length depending upon the subject matter. A feature-length article runs around 2500 words, but can be as long as 4000 words. Shorter pieces that fit on one page, like a guest editorial, run around 900 words. We work with authors on a case-by-case basis. If the topic is a lengthy one, there is always the possibility to run as a series, or augment the printed article with online content. Our author guidelines can be accessed at http://www.emsworld.com/publication/guidelines/AuthorGuidelines.pdf.
In regard to submissions, we would rather someone send a rough first draft than send nothing at all. We are willing to work with authors on the article from its initial stages through to a final draft.