Wound care

BateMan

Forum Probie
is there anything in specific about wound care?

for all I know, its just gauze/bandage/direct pressure for bleeding, and H2O2 for cleaning.

do i put the hydrogen peroxide on first then bandage?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
H2O2 will just clear up surface debris. The wound should be thoroughly irrigated (something we can't do in the field). For our treatment it is clean off what we can/ stop the bleeding/ and keep anything else from getting into the wound.

Edit: should have also mentioned that H2O2 will kill cells and slow the healing process.

Last edited by a moderator:

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Hydrogen peroxide isn't really that good at disinfecting tissue and isn't great for healthy tissue either. Those bubbles you see when it contacts blood aren't "killing germs." That's a reaction from catalase in blood that releases O2, which does mean that hydrogen peroxide does an awesome job of getting blood stains out of fabric. That's the only thing I ever use it for on an ambulance.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
The only thing you should ever use hydrogen peroxide on, is to remove blood stains from your uniform..

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Copious amounts of saline are all we ever used to clean wounds. Wound wash saline shoots like 15 feet out of the can, stuff hurts but works real well though.

troymclure

Forum Lieutenant
In the ED here the techs use baby shampoo and saline to clean wounds, oddly enough.

oddly enough when i deployed to iraq our medic/combat lifesaver pallet had several cases of baby shampoo. as far as i am aware it was used for showering, not wound care.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I'm going to flat out say that you should NEVER use Hydrogen Peroxide to clean wounds. While it does kill many microbes, it also kills vital tissue that it comes into contact with. Use of the stuff increases healing time by several days because the body then has to clean up all the dead tissue that you just caused along with all the other debris in the wound. I haven't used H2O2 for wound cleaning in probably close to 20 years.

Saline works, if you're simply washing out wounds. Mechanical wound cleaning hurts like the ****ens. Baby shampoo should work to a degree and shouldn't irritate wounds much. It certainly won't sterilize the area though. I'm going to have to look into that idea... might be something to think about for future wound cleaning endeavors.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Know what I like? Long term wound care. My spouse was kind enough to grow a massive sebaceous cyst on his chest that required daily packing.. I loved that.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Know what I like? Long term wound care. My spouse was kind enough to grow a massive sebaceous cyst on his chest that required daily packing.. I loved that.

I don't think you're in the majority for liking that kind of wound care. Good on you though.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Emergency wound care: stop bleeding. Use gauze and don't use ointments and creams before transport to ER. Any goo you put on will need to be cleaned off. Betadine: it can be de-colored from the wound with peroxide, not that big a deal.

Peroxide: I did dressing changes for twenty years, including coming back to the same patients day after day and seeing how different approaches worked. Peroxide is a bleach, and it kicks arse on anaerobes. It will kill any tissue if left on long enough and full strength (which for medical is like 2%), so apply, then rinse. Not using peroxide and letting foreign matter clot into the wound (especially abrasions) or letting staph etc. get going: going to lose lots of tissue plus have to fight an infection.

If it is a bad and dirty abrasion or other open wound in the field, put a sterile saline gauze on it* then DSD cover, cleaning at the ER will be easier.

I had doctors writing orders for daily bacitracin dressings with telfa, after a week no progress or got worse (greater induration, hot to touch). I'd get a phone order for a peroxide cleanse then saline or betadine dressing, and we'd be closing with good granulation in three or four days sometimes. (Yes, full strength betadine kills cells too, but so does staph, strep, pseudomonas, and foreign object rejection reactions. Dilute with a sterile solution or at least potable water, use to cleanse, then clean it and dress it).

I mean, follow your protocols.:rolleyes:

* The term "intimate contact" for these dressings is appropriate; make sure all the wound surface is in a sure firm contact with the compress material.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
I don't think you're in the majority for liking that kind of wound care. Good on you though.

The doc at the VA let me watch the removal, it was amazing.
DH's platoon's 68Ws and I would battle over who got to pack it. They said they needed the practice..:glare:

Sterile water irrigation was all it needed.

eonefireemt3

Forum Crew Member
Peroxide is awful stuff and should never be used to clean a wound. To flush a wound, I like to use bottled water. After that, I like to use a wet to dry bandaging techniques by wetting gauze with normal saline, cover the wound, then a layer of dry gauze over that, wrapped over with cling wrap.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Unless it is a complex lac I will suture or glue it after cleaning and debriding as necessary. For abrasions it is usually just a clean and bandage. They will have a follow up with me.the next day. I have also had to do some antibiotics as a few were quite contaminated and they waited a while before coming to my clinic.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

Interestingly, some of the people I've known who were most passionate about their jobs were wound care nurses. Very low turnover in that specialty, and if you ask them most will tell you they absolutely love what they do.

For sure it's not for everyone - I've never had any interest in it - but there must be something about it....

phideux

Forum Captain
Hydrogen Peroxide, Chlorhexidine, Glue and Sutures, Baby Shampoo??? I though this was a BLS discussion about pre-hospital wound care.:D:D

Do you folks carry all that stuff in your ambulance?????

To the OP, ditch the Peroxide for the reasons already mentioned, If you have a wound with alot of debris, some saline or sterile water to rinse some off, wrap it up in some clean, dry bandages, give them a ride in your Boo-Boo wagon. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hydrogen Peroxide, Chlorhexidine, Glue and Sutures, Baby Shampoo??? I though this was a BLS discussion about pre-hospital wound care.:D:D

To the OP, ditch the Peroxide for the reasons already mentioned, If you have a wound with alot of debris, some saline or sterile water to rinse some off, wrap it up in some clean, dry bandages, give them a ride in your Boo-Boo wagon. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have a clinic in the northern alberta oil fields. We don't carry the suture trays or antibiotics in the ambulance but we do in our clinic.
I never read the first page and didn't notice until now this was in the BLS area.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

I have glued many lacerations working as an EMT for a sports medicine department. Not that hard, works pretty well. Irrigation and non-suturing closure were well within my job duties.