Would you.....

Would you post a picture on Social Media of the IV?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LaceyA

Forum Crew Member
So a person I know who is in the beginning of Paramedic school just got a new job and Just posted on social media an IV she started on a patient, she tagged her partner who let her do this.... IV's are out of her scope of practice while at work. I know most do this or teach their EMT's but never post or talk about it. So my question Would you have posted this and tagged your paramedic in it? Is this against some law?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We are not able to give legal advise on this form. However with that being said yes it is very easy for her and her partner to get in trouble.

I don't allow my EMTs to start IVs. Risking both of our licenses on an IV start is completely idiotic. If they want to learn how I will teach them and see if I can get my hands on an IV arm.

OP
OP
LaceyA

LaceyA

Forum Crew Member
I dont want legal advice lol I just making sure im not the only one who thinks they can both get in trouble! I think she just should wait till she is on clinicals or in class.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I dont want legal advice lol I just making sure im not the only one who thinks they can both get in trouble! I think she just should wait till she is on clinicals or in class.
As sort of a side bar: this is the problem with our chosen career field. Lack of maturity, and proper judgement. Simply put, grow up, folks! Just my two cents, take it for what it's worth, but to me this shows one of many reasons we aren't given these raises, or "proper pay" so many people often grips about. Anyhow, carry on...

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
As sort of a side bar: this is the problem with our chosen career field. Lack of maturity, and proper judgement. Simply put, grow up, folks! Just my two cents, take it for what it's worth, but to me this shows one of many reasons we aren't given these raises, or "proper pay" so many people often grips about. Anyhow, carry on...
You saying I can't take selfies with my patient?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
As sort of a side bar: this is the problem with our chosen career field. Lack of maturity, and proper judgement.

Definitely a major problem, but it's not likely to go away...
After all, minimum educational requirements are pretty low (and courses are quick to complete, to boot), not to mention that 18 is the minimum age for NREMT (and lower for some state licensures), it's not like you're getting a 30 year old EMT every time.

Not to say that younger providers (I'm 25) are bad, or even suboptimal, but that, on average, a younger-skewed field will tend to have more issues like the OP's. I would imagine, for example, in a system where your entry level field provider is 22 (much of the other Anglophone systems come to mind), you've got less problems of this type.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
It's not the age. It's the level of maturity. I've said it before and I'll say it again, a mandatory draft would do wonders for the millennials.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
So a person I know who is in the beginning of Paramedic school just got a new job and Just posted on social media an IV she started on a patient, she tagged her partner who let her do this.... IV's are out of her scope of practice while at work. I know most do this or teach their EMT's but never post or talk about it. So my question Would you have posted this and tagged your paramedic in it? Is this against some law?
This could put the EMT in some reasonably hot water. The (hopefully) good news, if any, is that if the picture was just the IV and nothing that can identify the patient, then at least there's no HIPAA violation. The problem is a scope of practice issue. Until the EMT is functioning in an intern role, there's nothing that formally allows this EMT to do that skill.

Yes, I have taught some of my EMT partners how to start a line. When I did that, I was the dummy arm and it was done in a spirit of clinical education so that the EMT has a better understanding of what's involved so the EMT is able to better assist me. I do NOT teach the EMT to perform this skill at any significant level of competence because that's not the goal. At no time would I ever allow an EMT partner to start a line on a patient.

OP
OP
LaceyA

LaceyA

Forum Crew Member
Well Im glad im not the only one that thinks this way! This person should know better they are in thier 30's and should know better sadly.

And yes Akulahawk Luckly it was only the IV and the hand no way to say who it was besides the persons gender!

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
They are highly correlated ;)

For the most part, yes. The prefrontal cortex fully matures by 25, so anyone younger Is, uh... cognitively impaired. By definition.

But being a part of a collective - any collective for that matter - for a few years, having to work for one's gains and suffer the consequences of one's own (or others') stupidity, assists with brain development.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
The picture as long as theres no way to ID the patient is probably ok (doesn't mean that you should however). The EMT doing a procedure outside of their scope is so not ok. Both combined are just completely idiotic and shows poor maturity and judgment on the EMT and their partner.

pogoemt

Forum Crew Member
Taking a picture of something you did outside of your scope is just asking for trouble. Taking a picture, whether or not it is HIPPA compliant, is already risky.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Taking a picture of something you did outside of your scope is just asking for trouble. Taking a picture, whether or not it is HIPPA compliant, is already risky.
Friendly poke
54932440.jpg