would I be able to work as an EMT in college?

Arw33

Forum Probie
I'm 18 and am interested in working as an EMT. I'm enrolled in college for next fall but I was wondering if it'd be possible to take the EMT class this summer and begin working as an EMT part time in college.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I worked as an EMT in college for a few years. I ended up working about a shift a week, and it was a great experience.

spinnakr

Forum Lieutenant
I'm doing it right now - while working on a dual degree in mechanical engineering and German. It's definitely possible.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
As others have said, it certainly is possible, and many do it. Where are you going to school next year? More and more schools offer a course on campus, and have campus EMS response organizations, the umbrella organization of which is The Nat'l Collegiate EMS Foundation (NCEMSF, ncemsf.org).
Shoot me a PM with where you are going, and I may be able to put you in touch with someone from the campus EMS.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
It's possible, but at 18 you will have problems getting on with anything but a college EMS group.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
It depends on what you mean, because you have better chances doing some things than others.

As long as it works with your schedule there is no reason you couldn't work for a private company as an EMT. Volunteering as an EMT with a fire department or campus EMS squad are also possibilities. Working for a FD is less possible due to the inflexibility of the schedule. If you mean working as an EMT at your college as far as I know there is only 1 paid-full time campus fire department still in operation.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
It depends on what you mean, because you have better chances doing some things than others.

As long as it works with your schedule there is no reason you couldn't work for a private company as an EMT. Volunteering as an EMT with a fire department or campus EMS squad are also possibilities. Working for a FD is less possible due to the inflexibility of the schedule. If you mean working as an EMT at your college as far as I know there is only 1 paid-full time campus fire department still in operation.

I've heard of several paid EMS depts on colleges though... I'll look and see which ones there were

mct601

RN/NRP
I will say its tough finding an agency that will hire you for being a student. Most of the ones around here want full-timers.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I've heard of several paid EMS depts on colleges though... I'll look and see which ones there were

There may be more EMS only, or that don't transport. I'm pretty sure though that there is only one mixed department that transports left.

sunbee

Forum Probie
yes, i work part time, one day out of the week and my supervisor is nice and understanding about me being a full time student, just a little advice for you, get adjusted to college first before working bc college classes are fast paced, get a planner and plan ur schedule in advance to let your professors/boss know what's ahead

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
Some places like to hire college students. It cuts down on giving out overtime. A lot of college EMS that I've seen is non-transporting and hand it off to us. I have to give Tufts University EMS props on a call that they handed off to us this past Saturday night. I've worked with a lot of college students at a private, typically they were juniors or seniors. School work is more important than the money so just remember your priorities.