Worst Case Scenario - Bear Grylls

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Hey all,

I was watching the new series "worst case scenarios" on discovery and found it to be pretty good. They show a lot of First Responder techniques that may prove helpful to the average jo blo schmo (though it may also cause more people to interfere with accidents and the whatnot). Did anyone else see it or have any opinions on it? I thought it'd be worse since some of it seemed "staged", wheras "man vs wild" is more "raw".

clibb

Forum Captain
The thing about Bear is that he shows you what to do and how to survive in the wild. While others like Survivor Man will show you what he does to survive.

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
Honestly, I can't really take Bear sersiously. He does show you some interesting things and good general advice of what to do in a situation, but the biggest problem I have with him is that he takes so many UNNECESSARY risks. It's obvious that many parts of the situations in Worst Case Scenario are staged (my favorite being the sudden explosion just after bear pulled a man out of a burning truck. How Hollywood).

I love how he always seems to "find" the perfect tool for the job. (A Crowbar to pry open the back of a truck, or flippers to swim to the rescue).

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
As a SAR volunteer, I loved watching Bear Grylls show us the proper way to cross a near freezing river. WHY?! 98% of the time, stay in one place people!

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I haven't seen that show in awhile, but it was pretty entertaining, although I'm really not sure how I feel about some of the things they tell the public to do.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Oh no, Bear's following me to an EMS forum, too?

That guy's a clown. I'm going to leave it at that.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I love how he always seems to "find" the perfect tool for the job. (A Crowbar to pry open the back of a truck, or flippers to swim to the rescue).

Hmmm... all he really needs is a sonic screwdriver.

JPINFV

Gadfly
As a SAR volunteer, I loved watching Bear Grylls show us the proper way to cross a near freezing river. WHY?! 98% of the time, stay in one place people!

...yea... and the people on Stargate Universe apparently missed that lesson also...

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't watch these shows. Wildland survival is one thing I know about since I grew up in a forested area. If one is lost as LucidResq pointed out stay in one place. If possible try to have a satellite phone with you if possible. If I go into the bush then I will have with me a topographical map and compass. A small hatchet, canteen full of water, some snare wire with a lighter or matches with a big orange or yellow cloth, and a small pot. When one is lost and help may be some time coming then te thing to do is make shelter such asa a lean-to. The orange or yellow cloth would be to put on the back of the lean-to for identification. Because a lean-to blends in with the bush. the coloured cloth would aid searchers in finding you easier. Also the main thing is to stay in one place.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Bear Grylls is an idiot. Sorry, it's true.

Several years ago I had to undergo some serious survival training for a job. The class was taught by one of most well known survival teachers in the state. His company had just been contacted by Bear Grylls people asking if they would teach him how to survive in that climate for his show. Our teacher had several choice things to say about him, none of them good.

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
MacGruber

I thought Rambo was the one with the big knife. MacGyver only needs a paper clip to survive.

MacGyver only needed his Swiss Army Knife and duct tape!

Rambo had his "survival knife".

Crocodile Dundee had the big knife. Now that was a knife!

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief

duct tape! the secret weapon for everything!

clibb

Forum Captain

I love the scene when Rambo is sitting on a rock stitching his arm up. Haha, that would hurt like so bad.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't watch these shows. Wildland survival is one thing I know about since I grew up in a forested area. If one is lost as LucidResq pointed out stay in one place. If possible try to have a satellite phone with you if possible. If I go into the bush then I will have with me a topographical map and compass. A small hatchet, canteen full of water, some snare wire with a lighter or matches with a big orange or yellow cloth, and a small pot. When one is lost and help may be some time coming then te thing to do is make shelter such asa a lean-to. The orange or yellow cloth would be to put on the back of the lean-to for identification. Because a lean-to blends in with the bush. the coloured cloth would aid searchers in finding you easier. Also the main thing is to stay in one place.

You've got it all wrong. What you have to do is kill a camel with a sharp piece of glass, eat its testicles, gut it out and sleep in it for warmth and drink directly from its bladder.

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
the shows remind me of the game "worst case scenario"
a lot of fun if you just play it for the fun of it. Not fun for those who could care less, when one person plays for the accuracy of the facts. :ph34r:

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
You've got it all wrong. What you have to do is kill a camel with a sharp piece of glass, eat its testicles, gut it out and sleep in it for warmth and drink directly from its bladder.

We don't got any camels here would a black bear or cougar do because those we got.