Working at a Amusement park

RiverpirateEMT

Forum Probie
So I just started a part time job at a local (small) amusement park. No one in the park is higher than a EMT-b and there is no medical command. The person in charge is a EMT-b that is getting ready to start premed. What are the risk's involved working there? Ive been told if something goes wrong its all on the EMT not the amusement park. What do you guys think ? Not sure I want to continue working there as of right now.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Do you have medical oversight from a doctor, in the form of protocols or a number to call?

If not you cant act beyond whaf a layperson would be able to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
To provide some contrast:
The big amusement park in Ontario, Canada's Wonderland employs a mixed team of:
- Emergency Medical Responders (EMR) - 40-80 hrs of First Aid
- Primary Care Paramedics (PCP) - 2 yrs college

Both the EMR's and PCP's operate under a medical director. Most of the EMR's are students and are required to have experience in the field as a condition of employment (usually student response or industrial teams).

The PCP's are required to be actively working for an EMS Service (not IFT or standby) and be currently certified by their Medical Direction as a condition of employment.

So ya... I'd consider your employer's set-up a potential problem.

OP
OP
R

RiverpirateEMT

Forum Probie
Do you have medical oversight from a doctor, in the form of protocols or a number to call?

If not you cant act beyond whaf a layperson would be able to do.

No we dont have any medical oversight. We are to follow regular EMS protocols. If it is something serious we are to call the local EMS service for transport. Im kind of iffy working there right now. Seems that it is the type of place people blame for the things that happen to them. I dont want to risk my cert for a part time job.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'm not sure about the medical control issue since where I worked medical control was at the county level and individual companies didn't need their own medical director. My biggest concern, though, is the following line, "Ive been told if something goes wrong its all on the EMT not the amusement park." Is that from the park or just something through the grapevine?

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Whether you decide to pursue this job or not, I highly recommend you look into personal malpractice insurance. HPSO is well known, and well respected company, and policies are about $100/year, but you may want to look elsewhere.
Good Luck!

OP
OP
R

RiverpirateEMT

Forum Probie
I'm not sure about the medical control issue since where I worked medical control was at the county level and individual companies didn't need their own medical director. My biggest concern, though, is the following line, "Ive been told if something goes wrong its all on the EMT not the amusement park." Is that from the park or just something through the grapevine?

Thats what ive been told by the other EMT's that work there.

JPINFV

Gadfly
As someone who's worked at a waterpark for 2 seasons as an EMT, if the management doesn't support the first aid staff, I'd run, fast. While there does need to be a check on the EMTs (for example, you can't backboard everyone with a complaint), there also needs to be support when the stuffing hits the fan. Especially since you will have guests looking for a lawsuite to happen.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
As someone who's worked at a waterpark for 2 seasons as an EMT, if the management doesn't support the first aid staff, I'd run, fast. While there does need to be a check on the EMTs (for example, you can't backboard everyone with a complaint), there also needs to be support when the stuffing hits the fan. Especially since you will have guests looking for a lawsuite to happen.

+1

Another comparison....

The park I work with does have medical control, and there is always at a minimum one medic and one EMT. In the middle of the season, when it's busiest, we often have 2 medics and 2-3 EMTs.

I would be very concerned if the environment is as you describe.

MonkeySquasher

Forum Lieutenant
So I just started a part time job at a local (small) amusement park. No one in the park is higher than a EMT-b and there is no medical command. The person in charge is a EMT-b that is getting ready to start premed. What are the risk's involved working there? Ive been told if something goes wrong its all on the EMT not the amusement park. What do you guys think ? Not sure I want to continue working there as of right now.

Well hold on... Are you being employed as a regular employee working the park, or as an EMT protecting the park/providing first aid? If your job you're hired for is to run, say, a ferris wheel, then you ONLY run the crap out of that ferris wheel, and nothing else. If you are ASKED to help someone in need, then you are only a citizen EMT rendering aid, covered by Good Samaritan laws (provided PA has them, I am unsure. Check the corresponding thread.) Being asked to render aid and rendering it as a layperson means no equipment, nothing.

However, if you are being hired as an EMT, or as staff who is expected to render first aid under an EMS capacity, it's time you have a long talk with your employer about what they need to do.

Let's be honest, though. It shouldn't be a complicated process. First, they need to contact your State DOH, State Bureau of EMS (if they are separate), and find out what they need, both equipment and Med Director -wise. Hell, just a State representative could lay everything out for them, and maybe even recommend a Med Director. Then you find a Med Director, explain the situation, and see what the Med Director says.

It can go one of two ways... You have nothing EMS-wise and your park security calls 911 for everything that happens, -OR- they provide basic BLS supplies for laypeople (bleeding control and CPR supplies), -OR- they actually take the time to do things right and have a Med Director, proper supplies, and maybe even an Agency Code. Which, (unsure about PA), could even label you a BLS-FR agency and therefore let you give O2, assist with EpiPens and Nebs, etc.

And be sure to point out the added benefits to them.. They can not only tout about having a safer park environment for the family, but all of this is VERY good for legal CYA, not to mention their insurance might actually decrease with having organized on-site EMS.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Another advantage that the park may find in having a well-organized system and possibly better-trained people is that, at our park, we are the first-line employee health program. Meaning, we do all the HBV vaccinations for ourselves and lifeguards (they have the potential to be exposed to blood), if someone gets hurt or sick on the job, they see us first to get all the Worker's Comp paperwork in line and we give them immediate treatment and send them out to an approved clinic or hospital as needed. We have a fridge where we can safely store medications for employees. We help do some continuing education for the lifeguards to make sure their skills are sharp and expand their knowledge. The police on-site love having us too, because when they take someone in to custody and they start coming up with all kinds of crazy stuff, we can come check them out and they don't have to wait for an ambulance.