Working as a Paramedic at McCormick Ambulance

MS Medic

Forum Captain
If that's not a justification for a union I don't know what is. At least I would contact the NAEMT to do some reform work in California when it comes to labor. The company's in LA county have the Ambulance Association where all the owners and reps get together once a month. What's talked about who knows and even if the public is allowed to attend.

That probably wouldn't work out as well as you think. About 4-6 years ago (I can't remember the exact time frame), AMR had the contract there. When the union went on strike, AMR sent people out from the disaster response team to cover during negotiations, including some medics I knew. I see they no longer have the county so things seem not to have panned out so well.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
That probably wouldn't work out as well as you think. About 4-6 years ago (I can't remember the exact time frame), AMR had the contract there. When the union went on strike, AMR sent people out from the disaster response team to cover during negotiations, including some medics I knew. I see they no longer have the county so things seem not to have panned out so well.
That's part of the application for the DRT. I know I did one personnel shortage deployment. Great overtime for those. Most medics will jump at it, especially if it's a 911 operation

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes and if I remember correctly the county wasn't happy and neither was the labor board.

MS Medic

Forum Captain
My only point was that unionization isn't a solution for our problems. What I said seems to be taken the wrong way.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
My only point was that unionization isn't a solution for our problems. What I said seems to be taken the wrong way.
No I got your point. I was simply stating that it opened a flood door of labor violations and county health not appreciating the fact of a flood of out of state providers.
Second, if nobody is willing to stand up and change things at a state law or federal level for all of ems or the same craps going on a union usually helps. The point im making is the company's gather on a monthly basis and forever have held the rains. If ems had such a thing you know damn well every owner would be looking to shut that down in what ever way possible. Alot of owners claim to care for their employees but it most always turns out to be a wolf in sheeps clothing. A momentarily change that within months when mistakes are suspected to be forgotten things go back the way they were before.

MS Medic

Forum Captain
We have the same problems here so I understand but unions aren't the solution. Unions are nothing but one more organization looking out for their own interests at our expense. Just like OSHA and the EPA, unions were created to fix a very real problem that existed. And just like those buerocracies, unions are run by people who are dependant on a problem for their livelihoods. So once one problem is solved another has to "be found," leading to a perpetual cycle. A better solution would be a political trade organization comprised of EMS personnel.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
We have the same problems here so I understand but unions aren't the solution. Unions are nothing but one more organization looking out for their own interests at our expense. Just like OSHA and the EPA, unions were created to fix a very real problem that existed. And just like those buerocracies, unions are run by people who are dependant on a problem for their livelihoods. So once one problem is solved another has to "be found," leading to a perpetual cycle. A better solution would be a political trade organization comprised of EMS personnel.
And that would be the NAEMT which is on a federal level. What would be better would be state assosciations.

MS Medic

Forum Captain
And that would be the NAEMT which is on a federal level. What would be better would be state assosciations.

I'm actually referring to establishing EMS lobby groups that function at the state level.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'm actually referring to establishing EMS lobby groups that function at the state level.
We just formed one here in Texas. I wish all states would do it.