Wife wants to get into EMS

Hoofguy

Forum Crew Member
Ok so my wife works in the medical field and makes decent money (20.00) per hour but hates her job. She has seen how much I love my job and she has been there through my EMT and Medic schooling as well as Fire. After being in a rut for years doing the same thing she now wants out and wants to get into EMS.

She has joined the VFD I've been on for the past couple years and is going through MFR and Fire school this fall. She is saying she wants to go on to EMT then Medic but now I'm starting to get worried for a few reasons..

First let me say my wife is awesome.. Now I know what the guys are thinking but she really is, I'm just worried this is going to screw up a good thing. Any husbands and wives in EMS together?

I guess it's just I see how things are in EMS and I"m not sure I want my wife in it lol.. Anybody else feel this way?

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
I met my fiancee through EMS. We did shifts together without any issues or problems. She was a volly and I was paid staff. She is now an ER nurse.

The other point is that if you both are career, most employers will not have you working with each other. So you are most likely going to be on different shifts or working different trucks.

If she is unhappy now, just think how unhappy she will be if she doesn't get to what she wants!

Good luck!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
yes, there are couples in EMS as is every other profession/career/job etc etc.

harkj

Forum Crew Member
My girlfriend and I are both in ems. im an emergency dispatcher for the same company she works at, and she is now going through medic school and im going through emt school. We work a lot of the same days together. Me personally I'm glad we work together and we both are in ems. If thats what she wants to do then support her 100%. Its really not that bad.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Ok so my wife works in the medical field and makes decent money (20.00) per hour but hates her job. She has seen how much I love my job and she has been there through my EMT and Medic schooling as well as Fire. After being in a rut for years doing the same thing she now wants out and wants to get into EMS.

She has joined the VFD I've been on for the past couple years and is going through MFR and Fire school this fall. She is saying she wants to go on to EMT then Medic but now I'm starting to get worried for a few reasons..

First let me say my wife is awesome.. Now I know what the guys are thinking but she really is, I'm just worried this is going to screw up a good thing. Any husbands and wives in EMS together?

I guess it's just I see how things are in EMS and I"m not sure I want my wife in it lol.. Anybody else feel this way?

Yep, we're both in the same area excpet he's a FF as well. In fact, I was hubby's FTO when he first became Medic. We worked better on the road as partners than we do at home deciding on paint colors! Had a lot of fun and did a lot of good.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I haven't observed many EMS-EMS marriages that have ended in divorce. EMS-RN, I've seen quite a few. I don't know exactly why that is.

I have two cousins who married in EMS and are still happily married with children.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
hopefully they both weren't your cousins before they got married. ;-D

Okay, I could have worded that a LOT better!

Two sisters, one who is married to a FDNY EMS Capt, the other is married to a LEO, formerly a FT EMT.

medic417

The Truth Provider

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
It was Virginia thats common there.:p

I was born and raised in NYC (lived there until '07) as were my cousins and their husbands, and most of my adult family. I moved to VA in '08. Northern VA, which is built up, being right up against DC.

Stay on topic, like you told me whenever I questioned you. Incest jokes are not in line with the topic of discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape

I'm not, but I've worked with some couples. In almost every situation, everything seems to work out fine. If childcare's involved, trading off shifts is a lot easier than if one spouse is on a 9-5. Meanwhile, both people involved understand why it might be necessary to stay overnight, or leave in the middle of dinner.

A lot of places--even VFDs--won't let husbands and wives work together directly. It still can wind up happening even in that case if they call in extra people or the same trucks go to an accident. I've never seen it get in the way of work.

That being said, fights between those spouses can get really awkward in a close-knit department when they can't keep it to themselves.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
I've seen some relationships that lasted and others that didn't; wouldn't say it's a sure thing either way but will depend on the people involved.

I will say that you might want to take a hard look at what your schedules are; depending on what your shifts are (and this depends on where your wife would end up working too) you may not see all that much of each other. I know of one couple that for years would see each other maybe 1 or 2 days out of 4 or 5 because of their worktime.