Why we never run...

Sasha

Forum Chief
I do not run. Unless in mortal danger. And even then, I prefer to fight.

Later!

--Coop

I'd prefer to run away! Fight another day, they say.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
This reminds me of many years ago there was a show called Rescue 911, it was hosted by William Shatner. It basically had re-enactments of life saving calls.

R/r 911

***sigh*** The sad part is I vividly remember watching this show every week while at work. Thanks for the "many years ago" addition, I really wasn't feeling old enough this morning..................

EeyoreEMT

Forum Crew Member
Well, in most cases running makes you look like an idiot, especially when you fall or stumble, my nickname was Miss Congeniality, from the tripping, to dripping food, having a backup gun for my back up and then always carrying at least two knives, ya a little obsessive, i know. However, there have been calls I have ran on. A month old baby not breathing, still pink-closed family friend who hung herself, we missed her by 20 minutes according to the coronor; an a kinda hustly for entrapment or people I know. If your upset, they will get upset.

EeyoreEMT

Forum Crew Member
Hey, 911 guy, I worked with a medic who was on 911 for saving a kid trapped under ice in a pond. It was like 20-30 under, he got her back. It was pretty cool.

EeyoreEMT

Forum Crew Member
No, the best show was Emergency! I loved it and that's what I wanted to do when I grew up. And, there's the classic movie "Mother, Juggs and Speed"

imurphy

Forum Captain
When I started on a vol unit, back in 1996, I remember running to my first call. Something stupid I think I was covering a soccer event or something.

My OC called me back, smacked me upside the head, and said "We never run. We look stupid"

That's how I learnt everythign my first year. If I messed up, I was hit in the head. And I can tell you, I never forgot any of that stuff!

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't run I just walk very quickly ******

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Made Airway's day!

No, the best show was Emergency! I loved it and that's what I wanted to do when I grew up. And, there's the classic movie "Mother, Juggs and Speed"

Eeyore you are my new best bud!!! ^_^:)^_^ KMG365!! WooT! WooT! ;)

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
***sigh*** The sad part is I vividly remember watching this show every week while at work. Thanks for the "many years ago" addition, I really wasn't feeling old enough this morning..................

If it makes you feel any better I could only watch half of it because at that age I had to be in bed by 8 :p

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
The sad part is that while LA county got a great start (Emergency!), they still think they are in that era and the protocols have not changed since. In fact, the red paramedic squads and the orange tackle boxes are the same now as they were then.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
The sad part is that while LA county got a great start (Emergency!), they still think they are in that era and the protocols have not changed since. In fact, the red paramedic squads and the orange tackle boxes are the same now as they were then.

Don't forget the BLS 911 ambulances...

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Hey - When I was a junior at the VFC, we had Emergency! in re-runs every day at 1600 - it was referred to as "Training" and an effort was usually made to watch it... sometimes with some interesting discussions about how we'd accomplish this or that.

And I'm not that old. AK - just say you watched re-runs and all will be good!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
On my second ambulance run ever I was told, "We don't run. We do the EMT-Walk(tm)."
I was told about the same. And now that I'm older, and wiser than I was then... I get to educate the current n00b's.

I remember watching Rescue 911. It was so hard to ever take Shatner seriously. I enjoyed the show though.
How can it be .... hard....... to take...... William Shatner.... Seriously?

Second

Forum Lieutenant

I heard that when ppl called 911 they asked if the guys from tv could come to help them...

I couldnt help but laugh when I heard this

Fir Na Au Saol

Forum Crew Member
I've always had in pounded into my head to never run on a scene for two reasons.

1. Safety. You fall and break yourself, then you are just an extra patient to drag along.
2. Professional image. You're the one to whom everybody is looking to be the source of calm in the midst of crisis.

I have heard veterans threaten to break a newbie's leg if they ever saw him/her running on a scene again. (The threat was really in jest, but it was used to emphasize the lesson.)

Fir Na Au Saol

Forum Crew Member
Station 51, KMG 365!

I have the first 4 seasons of Emergency on DVD. I remember watching Johnny and Roy religiously every week as a kid. I almost cried when I had to miss an EMS conference here in New Mexico that featured Randy Mantooth as guest speaker.

At the small service where I currently work, some of the old timers have nicknames from "Mother, Juggs and Speed." Unfortunatly one of or FORMER medics got dubbed "Murdoch". :unsure:

NorthCoastChick

Forum Probie
I don't run I just walk very quickly ******

Lol. What happens if you're very short like me? I have to do a kind of half run-half shuffle that looks kind of stupid to keep up with some of the very tall men at the station. I'm sure it inspires all kinds of confidence... :p

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
A very good point my skills instructor brought up today...If you need to run to a patient because they are that critical you are probably too late already. Take the extra few seconds to walk in, observe, and form your plan of action.

Wyoming Medic

Forum Crew Member
Well, While I agree that running is not so good on scene, I certainly hope that my fellow EMTs of all levels do some running in the off time.

I TRY to stay fit (heck, I am a firefighter as well as a medic) but there are some of my comrades that are so out of shape they start a duoneb on themselves ENROUTE to a call. I guess the excitement is too much for them.

We have one guy that is so soggy around the mid section that he cannot purchase a uniform shirt big enough (and we have tried 3X). He is a paid staff member and cannot function in the slightest. We cover a county of almost 6,000 square miles and our most common call is a "one vehicle rollover". This guy is so out of it that he cant even crawl into the bar ditches to help out. Then when the patients do see him they get this disgusted look on their face and request somebody else to take care of them.

My point it, PLEASE EXERCISE. I am a big, awkward person (6'5" tall and 230LBS) so if I can do it, anybody can.

Wy medic

We may now all get back to the topic at hand after I hijacked it.

EMSChief803

Forum Ride Along
Don't run

I remember being a newbie and running around an MVC scene in rural upstate NY...grabbing long boards and head blocks...someone grabbed me and said "SLOW DOWN".

15 year later, I'm much more relaxed on calls. Still, I walk fast sometimes. A couple of years ago I was walking around a county squad car and totally went *** over tea kettle and hurt my ankle enough to go to ER for an x-ray. Luckily nothing was broke. Even more luckily...no one saw me fall...B)