Why we never run...

Wyoming Medic

Forum Crew Member
Stereotypes! You are associating lack of the ability to lift, or do their job, or lazyness with being overweight!

That's NOT the case 99% of the time. Those who are overweight an unable to do their job, chances are, wont be able to do their jobs if they were "in shape". Just because you're skinny doesn't mean you can lift, just because you're fat doesn't mean you can't lift.

And no, it is not YOUR business to lecture your patients. You are being called to them in a moment of vulnerability and what is viewed in their mind as an emergency. Let the lecture/education be left to doctors and nurses who actually know what they're talking about 90% of the time. Not to the 110 hour trained EMT.

I have a sneaking suspicion that you have never seen an EMT that was so large that they could not walk around the cot in the ambulance or had to ride EXCLUSIVELY in the back due to their size,

I assume that you have never had your partner say "can you do the lifting today, my knees hurt"?

How about a partner that has had such a gut that it gets stuck whenever the wheels are retracted on the cot?

Or how about a partner that is so overweight that they have so many health problems that they do their own duoneb treatments on the way to calls.

I don't care if you are the smartest EMT in the world and have a doctorate. If they are that obese then they are WORTHLESS!!!!!

Stereotype nothing, come talk to me after paramedic school and 10 years on the job with several dozen partners under your belt, 2 back injuries and a gunshot wound to your face. Then tell me how I am being mean and "stereotyping" when I request that my partner actually be able to move under their own power.

Wy Medic

Ps. Yes, the 110 hour EMT-b should not be giving that much advice. However I, who is a 2000 hour paramedic (well over the national standard curriculum recommendation) that had to get a degree to obtain the cert, feel more than qualified to be doling out advice.

And for the record, Wy EMT-Bs have over 200 hours of class time.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I'm not ignoring the context of posts, I'm picking out statements and replying to them that wont get me banned for my reply.

Basically all thats been said is anyone that is unprofessional and unable to do their job needs to get out of EMS. You went off on us for presenting another option to the statement that the patient only wanted a different medic because they were fat. So yes you seem to have taken what was said way out of context. Sorry to offend you by offering another option.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I assume that you have never had your partner say "can you do the lifting today, my knees hurt"?

Negative, I have had a partner like that, and he was skinny as a rail. Knees hurt for a multitude of reasons. I've also seen EMTs too short for the "heavy" end of the stretcher. Should we ban them, too?

Perhaps the EMT you are referring to SHOULD get out of EMS. But to paint all overweight EMTs/Medics with the same brush is closed minded.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Negative, I have had a partner like that, and he was skinny as a rail. Knees hurt for a multitude of reasons. I've also seen EMTs too short for the "heavy" end of the stretcher. Should we ban them, too?

Perhaps the EMT you are referring to SHOULD get out of EMS. But to paint all overweight EMTs/Medics with the same brush is closed minded.

Neither of us did. You took 1 word and ran with it.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Neither of us did. You took 1 word and ran with it.

Not quite.

If I were the grand potentate of EMS for the U.S., I would require that all EMTs of every level be able to run 5 miles in under 20mins as well as be able to swim 3 miles with a blindfold on.

"why should I let somebody that obviously cannot control their own life try to take care of me in an ambulance".

When an obese medic responds to a medical call with the local FD, it is very tough to get respect.

FD sees themselves as underpaid staff required to stay in shape and pick up the slack of the incapable ambulance crew.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
CDL drivers have to get a DOT physical to be able to get their drivers license. What about EMS staff who have to be able to act physically for hours at a time while peoples lives and trust hang in the balance? Nope, no doctors physical NO NOTHING.

I've been staying out of this one, as, well, obesity strikes close to home, and I have strong feelings against obese people (sometime I'll tell ya'll what finally triggered someone I know, who was morbidly obese for 15+ years, to go out and do something about it, but, not today).

I want to say though, in response to the above quote. My ambulance driver counts as a CDL add-on. As such, I DID have to get, and maintain, a DOT physical. Plus, my company requires an additional physical regularly.

Wyoming Medic

Forum Crew Member

And to look the other way in the name of "equality" is reckless and shows poor decision making.

As far as the short EMT who could not lift the heave end of the cot, YES, if that person is incapable of doing the job they should be gotten rid of. Same as your skinny partner. If he cannot liftey then he no workey.

Did I say that overweight EMTs should be indiscriminately banned? NOPE, but everybody should be held to some form of physical standard. When I am upside down in the ditch after my truck rolls, I want somebody that can get me out of the vehicle and take care of me.

And if somebody shows up that is OBVIOUSLY not able to do their job? I will sue the tar out of them and their employer when they mess up. Remember Misfeasance, malfeasance? Well, I think that a lawyer could get any of those to stick against ANY ambulance company that hired somebody that was blatantly and woefully out of shape and did nothing to try and correct it.

So we will sit here while our fellow brothers and sisters die OFTEN due to cardiac (read obesity) related problems. I do not apologize for upsetting the gentle balance that is EMS. I will continue to push my employees to be the best that they can be and I will also speak up about those that aren't. I will poke fun at our profession if it means that it makes us, as a community, better. All of this will help me to sleep better at night.

I learned years ago to NOT just stay quiet when there are problems. I have seen too many good and decent firefighters/EMTs/LEOs die or suffer just because they didn't stay fit. I myself have suffered 2 debilitating back injuries, one of them because I was not physically fit for the job. When I think back at the THOUSANDS of dollars I cost my employer and kept from the equipment budget I feel terrible. So I vowed to stay in some shape (not great but I can touch my toes) and to educate those that haven't figured that out.

So I guess what I am saying here is that I will never see your side of the argument. I think it is morally and ethically (basically the same thing I KNOW) irresponsible to turn our back on an obvious problem. I have been there, done that, got the T-shirt, out grew it, hung onto it for a few years and decided to turn it into shop rags ( that totals quite a few calls and seeing quite a few things, yet I have not seen it all). I know that I am speaking from experience.

I now leave this particular discussion. The argument has grown stale and it is obvious that we are at an impasse (as I feel that I have been repeating myself over and over and over again). But rest assured *start the dramatic music* I WILL BE BACK (evil laugh) TO FIGHT ANOTHER DAY (evil laugh drones on)

Wy Medic

Wyoming Medic

Forum Crew Member
I've been staying out of this one, as, well, obesity strikes close to home, and I have strong feelings against obese people (sometime I'll tell ya'll what finally triggered someone I know, who was morbidly obese for 15+ years, to go out and do something about it, but, not today).

I want to say though, in response to the above quote. My ambulance driver counts as a CDL add-on. As such, I DID have to get, and maintain, a DOT physical. Plus, my company requires an additional physical regularly.

And I do truly appreciate a company doing that. That really does show considerable initiative on a companies behalf. I also know that I must maintain a DOT physical card for my job.

My jab was at states and NREMT. I know of no state and I am quite certain that NREMT does not require any type of physical to become certified. It is all to often left in the hands of directors that have more problems to worry about.

Wy med

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Wy.
In California if you want to drive the rig, you have to have a valid DOT. I know of one company out here that hires non drivers, making said DOT not necessary, mainly as an insurance issue. Other than that, everyone has to have it.

Wyoming Medic

Forum Crew Member
Wy.
In California if you want to drive the rig, you have to have a valid DOT. I know of one company out here that hires non drivers, making said DOT not necessary, mainly as an insurance issue. Other than that, everyone has to have it.

Very interesting. Thanks for that. Learn something new every day. It is definitely a start in the right direction. Now if only more states would jusmp on board.

Wy medic

Scout

Para-Noid
WY,

can i just say wow, you speak of sueing but i'm full sure if you or your company did not hire someone based on a physical disability you would have a very interesting time in court.

Why do you not have mechanical aids to lifting? it is obvious you need them as you have said that your partners and indeed yourself have outlined dificulties in safe lifting and indeed have sustained injury from these bad practices. Thsi idea of lifting and cot do you want to go throu how this is still happpening in this day and age?

Wyoming Medic

Forum Crew Member
WY,

can i just say wow, you speak of sueing but i'm full sure if you or your company did not hire someone based on a physical disability you would have a very interesting time in court.

Nah, Municipal fire and ambulance departments must do this. Any applicant has to read the job description THEN state that they can either perform the job functions or cannot. If reasonable accommodations can be made then YES, the person stands just as much of a chance of being hired as the next. However if that person cannot fulfill the job duties, then they are denied.

For example, we had a young man apply to become a firefighter with our local dept. He had a great educational background, he passed the written test but he had one big problem. He was born without a functioning left hand. Despite a meeting to try to discuss possible accommodations, we were unable to come up with any. There are some things that just cannot be overcome. The twist of fate is cruel but in some lines of work it is unavoidable. Somebody who is incapable of walking up stairs or fitting into an ambulance are just not what the tax paying public wants nor deserves.

And as far a lift assist goes, We have looked at power cots. Way over our budget for the particular dept. I am with now. We have important things to pay for like big screen TVs and ice cream machines :p

In all seriousness, Our administration is so far behind times it isn't even funny. They would much rather buy big screen TVs or king sized beds for the staff than pay for things like Decent cots, Stair chairs, safety glasses, etc. I have had more than one knock down, drag out with them over this.

Wy medic

Sasha

Forum Chief
We have looked at power cots

My old service had those on the 24 hour trucks. They're great, 'til the battery decides to die. Then it's quite a bit heavier than your average stretcher.

I wasn't arguing that someone not capable of perfoming their job should be kept, but that just because a person is obese does not mean they can't perform the standards of their job.

Last edited by a moderator: