WHy it is better to research and write your own work. (Chime in please)

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
The reason(s) it is best to research and write your own material for an assignment or presentation is..........

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Never having to say "Some idiot put this together wrong"...

...because you can't answer the questions after you dropped your cue cards.
Anyone else?

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
I love the glory associated with it.

/narcissism.

It often times is easier to get a full understanding of what is being researched/what you are presenting.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I keep reading this as "Chimpie in please"

hoss42141

Forum Crew Member
Why risk getting kicked out of the class because you decided to be ignorant for a few minutes and use someone else's work.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Because the world deserves to read the awesomeness that is, my work...and on a slightly less conceded note, plagiarism is bad. Plus there's that whole self-satisfaction thing that ya get from your own work.

Epi-do

I see dead people
You might actually learn something in the process. (Novel idea, I know)

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Individual research is the cornerstone of a university/graduate level (higher) education. If we're talking about EMS, as has been discussed here ad nauseum... if we want to be taken seriously as a PROFESSION, we need to have the education to support it.

By doing your own research (whether that means googling a subject, digging up a journal article or book in a *gasp* library, or collecting your own data/forming your own conclusions and publishing the findings), you are going to walk away a more competent student/provider/adult in society.

This research doesn't just allow you to find the one single possibly correct answer, but a broad understanding of the circumstances and reasons why that is correct. If giving a presentation, it allows you to frame a question or problem in other terms, or answer questions otherwise not understood.

In American society today, we have become obsessed with instant gratification, whether that's at the McDonald's drive through, googling something on our pocket devices or growing impatient when we don't get the answer we want on an anonymous internet forum in 5 minutes.