Why is hypertension so common?

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
I’ve noticed that 98% of the PTs I transport have hypertension. Why is it so prevalent?

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Although if it's probably the most prevalent disease in the world, Essential Hypertension is not as well understood as Secondary Hypertension.

Risk factors include age, family history, obesity, race, salty diet, no exercise, and alcohol consumption.

Hypertension is also a risk factor for other disease states (think end organ disfunction) so it shouldn't be surprised when you work with sick people that a lot of them will have Hypertension

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I don't know about where you live, but the reason HTN and DM are so prevalent in my area is due to https://www.bojangles.com/

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I’ve noticed that 98% of the PTs I transport have hypertension. Why is it so prevalent?
Is it possible some of them are suffering from "white-coat syndrome" -- i.e., anxiety over examination by medical professionals? I've often seen systolic pressures 20 points higher than patients' stated norms without anything other than anxiety and/or pain to explain it.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Also, the AHA reduced the threshold to 140 systolic.
ha...yeah...the definition of hyperglycemia has changed since I measured my first blood sugar too...I was feeling fine when I became a broken down wreck over night when a paper in a medical journal was published....to be fair, A1c was not a thing when I measured my first blood sugar....

The Possum

Forum Crew Member
Lack of exercise, poor diet, family history, generalized obesity all play a role. I think the prevalence of fast food in our society has also weighed heavily on this preponderance of hypertension.