Why do medics with the FD make more?

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief

Burritomedic1127

Forum Captain
For what its worth the media also straight up strokes the FD egos all the time.

Delivered a baby a month ago and other coworker delivered one a couple days later, both successful and healthy deliveries. Yet, while out to eat last night, blasting over the tv is how local fd delivered a baby and how we should thank these heros. When reality a MD, thats Medical Doctor if you didnt know, was on scene did all the work. Yet the FFs are getting awards and new decals on their rigs for situations that happen almost daily. Im not saying this because i want a reward, tv time, or decals, im saying this because the media shouldnt be adding fuel to the high horse mentality from doing normal job duties performed by every EMS agency across the country, just because their fire based.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Why shouldn't they be in the media? Just because you're jealous of their air time doesn't mean good PR should not happen. I know that I would much rather hear feel good stories in the news than what the new city death toll is from last night's shootings, stabbings, drunk bar fights, etc.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Why shouldn't they be in the media? Just because you're jealous of their air time doesn't mean good PR should not happen. I know that I would much rather hear feel good stories in the news than what the new city death toll is from last night's shootings, stabbings, drunk bar fights, etc.
So you don't mind inaccurate media reporting, as long as it's "feel good"?

Ever read "Brave New World"?

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
So you don't mind inaccurate media reporting, as long as it's "feel good"?
Who said it was inaccurate? Nothing about the last posters comment said it was falsified in any way. The media just covered a fire department delivery, and doesn't do that for EMS. BTW the state of the media in the U.S. is always misleading and biased to some degree. Everyone has an agenda and a slant through which they report.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Who said it was inaccurate? Nothing about the last posters comment said it was falsified in any way.

Delivered a baby a month ago and other coworker delivered one a couple days later, both successful and healthy deliveries. Yet, while out to eat last night, blasting over the tv is how local fd delivered a baby and how we should thank these heros. When reality a MD, thats Medical Doctor if you didnt know, was on scene did all the work. Yet the FFs are getting awards and new decals on their rigs for situations that happen almost daily. Im not saying this because i want a reward, tv time, or decals, im saying this because the media shouldnt be adding fuel to the high horse mentality from doing normal job duties performed by every EMS agency across the country, just because their fire based.

Burritomedic1127

Forum Captain

Maybe you missed the part of my post saying im not looking for air time, awards, and new decals.

A good friend of mine from medic school (a ff/paramedic) gave an epi pen to a kid having an allergic reaction. The media swarmed the department and needed to record the life savers. He told me he refused to be on tv but his department made him. He told me he was embarrassed because how many parents/teachers/school nurses/ems providers give epi pens daily. Their medical director was pissed it was aired and after viewing the report, told the whole department that it was nothing special, its their job.

Burritomedic1127

Forum Captain
It shouldn't be because of the uniform you wear that changes your status to hero. In all seriousness, when was the last time you saw a attaboy news report from a teacher/school nurse giving an epi pen? We all have the same job at the end of the day (in the medical sense) and thats all that should matter. Singling out one group as heros increases the disconnect, thats pretty evident, between providers. Be good at your job and remember what its about at the end of the day

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The fire department here has an awesome PR machine. They get the word out, and it they do it well. Except for the part where they absolutely refuse to recognize the AMR providers on a call. Cardiac arrest save press release? Zero mention of the AMR ambulance crew who was also on scene. We are referred to as the "contracted transport provider" by their PR people. Thanks, I'll go back to driving the ambulance now and bow to your bunker pants.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
The fire department here has an awesome PR machine. They get the word out, and it they do it well. Except for the part where they absolutely refuse to recognize the AMR providers on a call. Cardiac arrest save press release? Zero mention of the AMR ambulance crew who was also on scene. We are referred to as the "contracted transport provider" by their PR people. Thanks, I'll go back to driving the ambulance now and bow to your bunker pants.
Golly gee gosh...and what does YOUR PIO say? What's that you say? Your department doesn't have one? They have one but it doesn't get used? They have one but he/she is incompetant? Hmmm...sounds like there is some work that should be done instead of just whining...

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Golly gee gosh...and what does YOUR PIO say? What's that you say? Your department doesn't have one? They have one but it doesn't get used? They have one but he/she is incompetant? Hmmm...sounds like there is some work that should be done instead of just whining...
That is at my part time job where we actually have a half decent PR person. He does a pretty good job of getting the work that AMR does independently into the media. The issue (so he says) is that the local media sources are more than content to just take fire's press releases and make a story out of them, while the same cannot be said of ours. I can't help but think that them being "government officials" and AMR being a "private contractor" has something to do with that. But still, regardless of what our PR person does and does not do, I imagine most self respecting EMS providers feel a bit of a slight being referred to as "transport providers." It also kinda sucks to have the fire brass come into our new hire academy and talk about partnerships and then hear stuff like that.

At my full time job I am the PIO (sort of). Considering the rural nature of my work place, there is not a lot of opportunity for press. Nonetheless we receive equal coverage as the fire districts we cover and I do what I can to get our happenings to the tiny local newspaper. I try to keep our facebook page interesting and I have had several people congratulate the ambulance service for providing services that they were not aware of. And despite my dislike for aspects of the fire service (ehem ALS first response when the ambulance is responding from the same block), I try to provide information that demonstrates how awesome we are while not degrading our partners.

Hope this is adequate for you and not considered more whining.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
That wasn't aimed just at you but everyone, just so we're clear.

At your AMR shop at least you have someone who is willing to do the work; if it's a problem I'd suggest finding out what you and the rest can do to help make their job easier. I'd also have to wonder how aggressive the guy is at his job; until you are an established and competant presence, there may be difficulties in getting media outlets to listen, but the more it's tried, (in an effective, professional manner that is tooled to the media) the more they'll listen.

At your other job, I wouldn't ignore the bigger media outlets in your area; news stations, radio stations, newspapers, even if they aren't based right there will still be seen there. Start making contacts; most media agencies will have a place for you to send out press-releases and notifications of any upcoming events. Do you have a twitter feed? (sounds lame, but it does work) If not, start one. Do any of the regional media outlets have a way to insert your twitter feed into theirs for specific events? That's not uncommon; check that. Do you have the money to send out a quarterly newsletter to everyone you serve? Do that (even if you don't have any earth-shattering events, it lets people know you're around).

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
All this bickering about wage discrepancy is so silly in my mind. Why shouldn't fire medics make more? Their job description alone says they do two jobs, so yeah.... I know this isn't the case and there's evidence for both sides, but my antedoctal so cal evidence is that private ambulance providers, if not running calls are usually not doing anything but watching TV, playing games, doing non job duty work, or sleeping.

Now I know this same behavior also happens in some fire stations but the vast majority of stations I've worked in do not make this the norm.

Everyone's experience varies so this is just my experiences versus your experiences, so take a grain of salt with all this.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

While I don't agree with the FD taking all of the glory, I know why this occurs- the FD will look after itself first and foremost. PR is vital for the FD when budget time comes around. The FD needs to portray itself as indispensable. My FD went to an all-ALS txp fleet, and has medics on all engines, the majority of ladder companies, and a few heavy rescue squads. This is show that we can have ALS to anyone in the county rapidly. You know, and I know that this does not have any large affect on pt. outcomes, and most likely dilutes the skill/proficiency pool, but it looks really good to the public. We give out awards and medals for all kinds of things. If I stop on the highway to hold C-spine at a car accident I have a good chance at receiving an award, for example. We also go out every Saturday to canvas the first due and provide working smoke detectors, and perform home safety checks for any interested residents. At the same time, we hand out the File of Life, which is a paper folded into a sleeve with a magnet to place on the refrigerator, to have the patient's Hx and demographics at the ready. Every time we have a fire, everyone is well aware that if the home received one of our smoke detectors, that placement will be attributed to the occupant's quick egress and survival. That one could actually be true. Then there's the coat drives, school backpack drives, things like that.

All of the PR stuff pays off when budget time rolls around. We can avoid layoffs, get merit increases after a multi-year freeze, get larger recruit schools, up-staff suppression units from three to four, avoid brown-outs, things like that. In the case of your AMR deal where they were marginalized and not even mentioned, that is most likely the FD assuring that they are viewed as indispensable, so that it will be all the easier to have the upper hand with any dealings with AMR, should the situation arise. You never know when the FD will want to take over (take back?) transport duties from a private company, like that North Las Vegas debacle. Again, I don't agree with how AMR was marginalized, but I do understand the reasoning behind it.