Why all the negativity

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Why is it the people that run this forum allow the repeated and continual negative posting about EMT's? Isnt the name of this forum EMTlife? I dont remember it being RNlife, RRTlife or I work IFT and want to be a nurse life. We all mostly started out as EMT's and were and still are proud to do so.

Ive invited numerous people to experience this forum as when i first joined there were great posts that actually helped and were informative to EMT's and future medics. Now all i see is sarcasism about the profession. Half of the people i have invited here never even bothered to sign up after scanning the forums and see the posts that are on here

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
It basically comes down to this, posted in the Community Rules...
We don't intend to censor messages based on the opinions expressed within posts, but we will enforce the policies outlined both here, on the Guidelines page and on the Forum.

Remember, most of the criticism comes from EMTs themselves, with hopes of bettering the industry. Why would we want to censor that?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Why is it the people that run this forum allow the repeated and continual negative posting about EMT's? Isnt the name of this forum EMTlife? I dont remember it being RNlife, RRTlife or I work IFT and want to be a nurse life. We all mostly started out as EMT's and were and still are proud to do so.
Are you expecting everyone to be cheerleaders ra-ra'ing everything EMS?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
We all mostly started out as EMT's and were and still are proud to do so.

Ive invited numerous people to experience this forum as when i first joined there were great posts that actually helped and were informative to EMT's and future medics. Now all i see is sarcasism about the profession. Half of the people i have invited here never even bothered to sign up after scanning the forums and see the posts that are on here

Why would I want to stay an EMT when I could be a Paramedic and do more for my patients? Why continue to promote the lowest level as best thing for patient care?

Maybe people are starting to see some of the sticking points in EMS and are starting to awaken from a 30 year slumber.

Those who have gone on for more education may have done so to improve the care they give to the patient.

In other aspects of the health care world, we routinely work with many different disciplines and are aware of who they are. EMS complains no one knows who they are but then when someone from another profession pops in, some few almost threatened by their presence.

Besides being an EMT I was also a CNA and a bartender in my past but I don't dwell on those jobs even if there are good memories from the experience I got. I look forward to see how many opportunities there are ahead.

I think some here are afraid of change. That change might come with BLS services becoming ALS, volunteer going paid, FD going EMS, EMS going FD and education requirements being advanced.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
While I will agree with everything Vent has to say, I would add this...

IMHO, I see quite a few cynical/negative people on the forums that are on their way to being burnouts (if they are not already there). Sometimes it appears as if all your mamas never taught you "if you have nothing good to say..." because some people seem to actually enjoy being negative and you can expect almost every one of their posts to be negative. Trust me, I come from a long line of negative people. And in all honesty, I could see how most people could take one look at these forums and be led to believe that EMS is full of unhappy people... and maybe that negativity is being used to educate people and to better the profession... but often that intended use does not lead to the desired result... a sign that some people here may have a lack of civil (while still being honest) communication skills... IMHO...

Last edited by a moderator:

spnx

Forum Crew Member
Good point. Of all the forums I post on, this one often the most negative.

It's unfortunate and it means I participate less than I would otherwise. I expected more comaradery and less divisive talk.

kecpercussion

Forum Lieutenant
I agree as well. I think there is way too much negativity against EMTs. If you wanna be a medic or nurse or doctor then great. I myself don't want to be an EMT forever either, but it is a great job and it is a stepping stone non-the-less. Everyone has to start somewhere.

medic417

The Truth Provider
You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!!!!!!!!!!

Sasha

Forum Chief
You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!!!!!!!!!!

You're so funny!

Don't you think threads like this are counterproductive? Why all the negativity? Just makes it into a giant fight.

Why all the negativity? Because too many people are satisfied with mediocrity and fear change.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
...Why all the negativity? Because too many people are satisfied with mediocrity and fear change.

Too true.

That said - I don't see this thread going anywhere productive.
lock.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.