Whoops! No Valium in our box

Hockey

Quackers
Apparently there is a national shortage of Diazepam once again. Doing rig check and noticed we have no Valium in our box.

Anyone else having problems keeping it stocked?

TheGodfather

Forum Lieutenant
we have no valium & no ativan & no versed.... new seizure protocol (mind you, this is verbatim) - "drive fast"

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
we have no valium & no ativan & no versed.... new seizure protocol (mind you, this is verbatim) - "drive fast"

Nice...

We have Versed, however its not in the protocol. :blink:

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
We switched to Ativan in november. Unfortunately we don't have refrigerators on our units so we toss it after 90 days.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

TheGodfather

Forum Lieutenant
We switched to Ativan in november. Unfortunately we don't have refrigerators on our units so we toss it after 90 days.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

we had the same problem, which led us to constantly buying more ativan, which led to the ativan shortage... im gonna test my jedi mind tricks on my next seizure patient, ill get back to you all with how it works out for me!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We just got approval to stock Ativan when we run out of Versed. We're also having a hard time getting Fentanyl.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
we had the same problem, which led us to constantly buying more ativan, which led to the ativan shortage... im gonna test my jedi mind tricks on my next seizure patient, ill get back to you all with how it works out for me!

These are not the convulsions you're looking for

not-the-droids1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We use versed, hospitals are running into issues with the shortage, I haven't heard of any problems at work though.

The fentanyl shortage has been a bit of a pain but we have it, it expires every 30 days though :wacko: Idk what the deal with it is.

Epi-do

I see dead people
We've been told there's a Versed shortage, but still have it on our trucks at the moment. We've been going back and forth between Fentanyl and Morphine due to the Fentanyl shortage. Then we were told there is now a Morphine shortage too. When I was last at work, we still had Fentanyl on my truck, but some of our other trucks have Morphine on them.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We've been told there's a Versed shortage, but still have it on our trucks at the moment. We've been going back and forth between Fentanyl and Morphine due to the Fentanyl shortage. Then we were told there is now a Morphine shortage too. When I was last at work, we still had Fentanyl on my truck, but some of our other trucks have Morphine on them.

We carry all 3. Versed, Morphine and Fentanyl. :p

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
We use Versed, and from what I've seen, we don't have a problem keeping it in stock, however, we don't use a whole lot of it. That being said, we're having problems wit shortages as well (i.e. Zofran and Roc), but that's another discussion I suppose.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
My 911 services both ditched Valium when it expired out last year. Aside from a single case, we threw away the last 2-3 batches without ever using it.

Both services carry Versed and Ativan, and PA protocols allow all 3 to be used interchangeably.

mikie

Forum Lurker
hospitals around here are experiencing drug shortages; it's affecting our stocking of 'regular' (non-scheduled) drugs.

jwk

Forum Captain
We use versed, hospitals are running into issues with the shortage, I haven't heard of any problems at work though.

The fentanyl shortage has been a bit of a pain but we have it, it expires every 30 days though :wacko: Idk what the deal with it is.

Fentanyl is perfectly stable at room temp. It does not expire in 30 days. The only exception might be if you're getting prepared syringes from a pharmacy that was made up out of larger quantity amps of fentanyl. For example, your pharmacy might take a 20cc amp of fentanyl and draw out ten 2cc syringes. When my pharmacy does that, they put a 30-day expiration on those syringes.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
They are vials. I'll try to get a picture of one tomorrow. They are really random. The running joke is "grandpa's fentanyl"

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
Right now we still have enough Valium for all of our trucks to be stocked, and have plenty for re-stock. However, last employee meeting it was discussed that we will be getting Ativan to have on hand, if/when we run out of Valium.