Who here is going from EMT to RN?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
$15-20 more than who?

Out here most places only higher BSN...

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
U guys getting ur BSN you know your only making like 15-20 bucks more a pay check with ur BSN. At least in MA and FL you do..

Ok? And most hospital are starting to only hire BSN new grads and I am willing to bet in the next 10 years it will become the minimum level of education. If you want to be a charge nurse or any type of manager you have to have your BSN. If you want to continue on and get your masters or got to PA school you have to have a bachelors. So yes there isn't a huge difference in pay between the ADN and BSN but there are a lot of other factors to consider.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
$15-20 more than who?

Out here most places only higher BSN...

I think he was talking about compared to associate degree nurses. Most hospitals pay the same for RNs regardless of BSN or ADN with maybe only a few dollar bonus per hour for having a BSN.

Cardiac0089

Forum Ride Along
Hello, my name is Nicole.

I am also in the process of completing the prerequisites for Nursing school, like General Bio, Chemistry I, Anatomy & Physiology I&II, Micro.... I'm from Connecticut and I'm applying this fall for entry into a Fall 2013 BSN program. I'm currently looking at schools in CT, MA, ME, RI, and NY.

I volunteer as an EMT-B, I've been riding for 4 months, and am absolutely loving the experiences so far and EMS in general. I also volunteer at a hospital as a Paramedic Assistant.

I'm excited and a "little" nervous since it's quite competitive these days, but overall am optimistic and looking forward to dedicating my time and career to helping others.

Anyone else applying/going to Nursing school in the New England area?

Best of luck everyone!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
BSN versus a certificate program or Associate's degree:
1. Anything to instantly pad your resume and education history will help hire ability and may aid in promotion.
2. If you are considering military, you can get a commission. Better to carry the baton than the bass drum, no? (I've carried both).
3. My limited experience says no difference in pay for BSN versus ASN or certificate. And they were saying in 1980 that "Nursing" would be all BSN or more in the near future...except nurses don't control the supply of or demand for nurses.
Pay isn't everything, but it sure helps. SO does the likelihood you will not have to leave the profession early due to back injury, motor vehicle accident , or PTSD. Or terminal poverty exacerbated by chronic sleep disruption.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
The only prereq for a RN bachelor degree program here in Canada is a high school diploma with credits in biology 30 and chem 30 which are courses taught in high school as part of the regular curriculum.

OP
OP
MusicMedic

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Keep the replies coming!

Im going to apply to ADN programs, as the BSN programs here in CA are Beyond impacted and and beyond impossible to get into.. You need essentially a 3.9-4.0 GPA and need to be able to do the SAT backwards and blindfolded, be willing to sign your first born over and you need to still jump through a million hoops.

the ADN programs are on a multi-criteria point based system: they give points for Patient Contact Work Exp (EMT,CNA, LVN etc..), other languages, extra classes taken, Pre-Req GPA and etc..

Due to a flood of new grads here in southern CA, employers are starting to prefer BSN graduates over ADN graduates.. but it also makes a big difference on who you know!

Kmuggee

Forum Probie
I'm so glad to see this thread on this website!
I'm definitely not near to where a lot of the other repliers are; I just graduated high school and completed my EMT-Basic program.
I'm taking the national registry in November after my 18th birthday, and at the same time, I will be taking classes and hopefully pre-reqs for the nursing program at the junior college I'm attending.

I'll be looking forward to the other replies on this thread!
I want to be RN so badly.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Is it excess work to go from ADN to BSN

I can go to the local community college ADN program for free but I would need a BSN to work anywhere...

Technically could save quite a sum of money doing ADN first though...

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Make sure your credits will transfer to a BSN school if you can.

One reason so many ADN courses and few BSN is that when Calif started "enforcing" nursing ratios, employers partnered with adult education and community colleges to turn out as many RNs as possible, including LVN to RN bridges and allowing students to retake finals they failed to pass. (Actual cases with LVNs I worked with near Sacramento).

cstiltzcook2

Forum Crew Member
me too bud

Yes, I am on the same road. I am in a pre-nursing post-bacc program in San Francisco. I will be applying to BSN and MSN programs next year. I haven't ruled out PA school yet, but I will have a better idea in a few months. Good luck with pre-reqs everyone. If you are working at the same time like I am, I feel your pain.

Sublime

LP, RN
I will be starting RN school next year most likely. Still not sure if I want to do a EMT-P / LVN to RN bridge program at the community college (sponsored by the hospital I work at) or use http://www.excelsior.edu/

Going to do an ADN program first so I can start making real money, then go to BSN.

Here in Texas a lot of hospitals are still hiring ADNs with no pay difference for those with BSNs from what I've heard. Of course everyone says BSN will be the requirement in the near future.

My heart will always be with EMS, but starting at $25.00/hr + shift diff. is just too tempting to pass up. Plus working in the ER you get your moments of excitement, though its not the same as a box.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
If you do use Excelsior, be careful. Some states do not accept them for licensure. Some will. California won't, but may allow an Excelsior-educated RN to endorse there on a case-by-case basis. Going a more traditional route will be the most flexible option as far as getting your license and being able to move to another state later.

Lately, California has been getting very strict about foreign trained RN's, even those that have earned a BSN, by going through the person's educational history and determining if the clinical experiences coincided with educational ones - like if you took a peds course (studied the subject), you also had a peds clinical experience in the same semester.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
All you paramedics think run reports are bad....just wait for care plans haha

OP
OP
MusicMedic

MusicMedic

Forum Captain

one thing im not looking forward in nursing school are careplans, ive heard they suck hard haha

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

one thing im not looking forward in nursing school are careplans, ive heard they suck hard haha
I hate them with a passion myself... but they do serve a purpose. They help you integrate everything together - a patient's history, meds (including side/adverse effects), allergies, labs, your physical exam, and more, allowing you to come up with a plan to care for the patient.

If they didn't have that purpose, they'd completely suck donkey *****. Run reports are what they are... a record of the care you gave. Care plans are kind of the opposite... a script for the care you plan to give.