Who here is going from EMT to RN?

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Hey folks, i havnt posted in a while, ive been busy busy with school

I just finished my Nursing Pre-Reqs (Anatomy, Physio and Micro)

im currently applying to nursing schools, and hopeflly ill be accepted to one to start in spring 2013

has anyone or is anyone here doing the same thing?

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Hey folks, i havnt posted in a while, ive been busy busy with school

I just finished my Nursing Pre-Reqs (Anatomy, Physio and Micro)

im currently applying to nursing schools, and hopeflly ill be accepted to one to start in spring 2013

has anyone or is anyone here doing the same thing?

I am currently in a BSN program and graduate in December. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I think this is the very first time this topic has been discussed here. Subscribed.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Good luck and congrats on completing prereqs. Gen chem was fun eh? If going for ASN, then many schools go with a lotto system for selection. For BSN most schools use a point based system based on things like GPA, prereq GPA, past med work experience, and TEAS test results. So good luck in getting in.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Entering into the third year of my BSN program come September.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I also created a Nursing Student group on here. Feel free to join.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I am either going the RN or PA route when I hopefully get promoted to firefighter.

I prefer the PA move but I will do RN if I need to in order to accommodate life.

My girlfriend is a medic, in her third year of a BSN.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I am either going the RN or PA route when I hopefully get promoted to firefighter.

I prefer the PA move but I will do RN if I need to in order to accommodate life.

My girlfriend is a medic, in her third year of a BSN.

In the next few years they are doing a lot of restructuring of the NP role, that may be a good option. I'm still on the fence between PA vs NP. Do you already have a bachelors?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Went from EMT to RN between 1981 and 1985.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Indian-Medicine-Ceremony.jpg

The male members of my graduating class.

We were all, except one, former or current EMT's or military medics. We are 10% of the class at any one time, but out of 26 who started in 1981, four made it all the way through, and one gave up nursing the day he graduated to return to bartending.

terrible one

Always wandering
In retrospect I should have gone the BSN route. Oh well all is 20/20 in hindsight. Good luck.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
In the next few years they are doing a lot of restructuring of the NP role, that may be a good option. I'm still on the fence between PA vs NP. Do you already have a bachelors?

Na I have 45 credits of a couple electives and liberal arts. Quit school when FDNY called me. I was going for fire science anyway. A worthless degree.

I can go to the local CC for free as a volunteer fireman so I am going to register for an A&P class and biology when I can and just ace those to show good grades in sciences for a PA program.

I only got into career EMS as a stepping stone to firefighter so in the hopes of getting that and working two 24s a week finding time to be a full time student shouldn't be bad.

I also considered NP down the road if I can't pull off PA with work/life.

Last edited by a moderator:

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Na I have 45 credits of a couple electives and liberal arts. Quit school when FDNY called me. I was going for fire science anyway. A worthless degree.

I can go to the local CC for free as a volunteer fireman so I am going to register for an A&P class and biology when I can and just ace those to show good grades in sciences for a PA program.

I only got into career EMS as a stepping stone to firefighter so in the hopes of getting that and working two 24s a week finding time to be a full time student shouldn't be bad.

I also considered NP down the road if I can't pull off PA with work/life.

All PA programs around here are post bachelors master degree programs. So you need a bachelors first either way so a BSN may be the way to go which ever route you decide to take.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
In earnest, I wish more medics would become PAs instead of RNs (unless they are pursuing NP positions). The prescriptive authority exits as does a level of prestige and respect with physicians that might not exist with RNs (sadly).

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I'm currently in an ADN program, 1/2 way through. I have a Bachelor's and Paramedic experience. My previous education has proven useful in integrating what I am learning in Nursing. Once I'm done with this program, I can transition to BSN by taking just 30 units more, essentially just those specific courses that an ADN program doesn't provide. That's about 6 courses. If I took 4, I could be ready for entry to an MSN program. Or I could take those 4, apply, take the last 2 and get the BSN just prior to starting an MSN program. Should I desire getting into PA, I could pursue entry to a PA/NP combined program and dual certify.

There are so many roads I could end up going down, but I still have to finish my current educational track and pass the NCLEX-RN.

This whole experience has been good so far!

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
U guys getting ur BSN you know your only making like 15-20 bucks more a pay check with ur BSN. At least in MA and FL you do..