When to stop the resuscitation (ALS) of drowning victims?

HMartinho

Forum Lieutenant
I have this doubt. When to stop the resuscitation of drowning victims? I work on portuguese EMS for over 1 year, and I never seen an drowning case. Weird, but true. Whereas hypothermia can preserve neurological function, hence my question.

I read an article wich shows drowning survivors were submerged for more than 30 minutes. Is it true/possible?

Doczilla

Forum Captain
What is your proximity to the hospital? Because basically, you don't "Call" drowning arrest in the field. Continue working them till they get to the hospital.

I've had extended efforts result in ROSC after deep-tube suctioning of the lungs, to remove that fluid.

But either way, let the hospital call them. Intiate your full-blown ACLS resuscitation, then continue them enroute to the facility.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
not dead until warm and dead.

Not necessarily true. Some areas allow for the cessation of resuscitation if the core temp is below a certain point.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Drowning? Always thought drownings get full ACLS response and that you continue resuscitation til the hospital. A regular ol' arrest (and certainly a traumatic arrest) could be called if no ROSC on scene, but not so much for drownings, no?

OP
OP
H

HMartinho

Forum Lieutenant
What is your proximity to the hospital? Because basically, you don't "Call" drowning arrest in the field. Continue working them till they get to the hospital.

I've had extended efforts result in ROSC after deep-tube suctioning of the lungs, to remove that fluid.

But either way, let the hospital call them. Intiate your full-blown ACLS resuscitation, then continue them enroute to the facility.

20 minutes of basic E.R.
45 minutes of a central and advanced E.R.

I think here is a little bit different of USA. We got pre-hospital rapid response ALS cars, with emergency physicians. Only our pre-hospital physicians can call a code (traumatic (Technically, because in "real life" there are exceptions), sudden, drownings etc).

But how long can a hypothermia preserve the neurological function?

Doczilla

Forum Captain
There's been some freaky stories dude, especially with kids. There was a case in florida where some girl reanimated on the coroner's table.

For most people with an intact nervous system though, the mammilian diving reflex is what serves to be neroprotective, and cardioprotective against ischemia and the intense inflammatory cascade that occurs from reperfusion.

This is why theraputic hypothermia was introduced into hospitals and some EMS systems for post ROSC management.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We can call drownings in the field depending on the circumstances and with orders from a base physician, which in my system, is any ER doc at our 4 hospitals (We technically have 5 but the VA isn't a base facility). With that said unless it was very obvious they were dead, they all get transported.

jwk

Forum Captain
I have this doubt. When to stop the resuscitation of drowning victims? I work on portuguese EMS for over 1 year, and I never seen an drowning case. Weird, but true. Whereas hypothermia can preserve neurological function, hence my question.

I read an article wich shows drowning survivors were submerged for more than 30 minutes. Is it true/possible?

There's drowning, and then there's cold water drowning.