When should I feel comfortable?

Dennhop

Forum Crew Member
shoot...some cls classes even allow students to start iv's too...

res1551cue

Forum Crew Member
Those guys have no medical training except for the short little CLS class (are they even still teaching CLS?)

Yes. I have taken it several times. The one I took was 2-eight hour days and the second day 9 of the 10 persons in class were hungover. We went through a crap ton of IV bags.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
You can actually go back and watch early MASH and Emergency! episodes dealing with the military trauma/ civilian world disconnect. Trauma wise, they're usually a good ten years in advance of civilian practice. Back when Emergency! was made, starting an IV was normally below the medical command line and medics were considered too dumb to read a 3ld ECG. They did use the "former army medic" in one of the shows who was getting burned civilian wise for "simple" IV starts. Medically, it can get iffier since, of course, everyone is healthy and young and doesnt have heart problems, diabeetus or asthma and unless you're staffing the base clinic/ hospital, or in Group/ independent, medicine isn't a big thing.

The last I knew, CLS was a "basic training" skill everyone had to complete before the graduated from IET (basic training and "trade school".) A quick google and a self-study CLS guide is at:
https://www.mtu.edu/arotc/cadet-portal/docs/ISO871_Student_Self_Study.pdf

It isn't much, it's well below EMT in general. More like "Oh ****" first aid but in an environment where they'll die in 2 minutes without a select set of skills. Keep air going swooshie in and out of lungs, keep blood IN the body and not spewing all over the place.

Remember, when in doubt, take two (tylenol, paracetamol, ibuprofen, mobic, ...), a bottle of water, change your socks and walk it off... cures EVERYTHING.

P.S.: Editted to add the following to answer the first question...

When you truly feel comfortable and good to go... it's time to retire because you've gone crazy.