When can you remove an impaled object?

patzyboi

Forum Lieutenant
The only times I know are okay to remove an impaled object is when its blocking the airway, when you're going to do CPR and its blocking your way, and when its stuck in the cheek and blocking the airway.

Anything else?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Insect stingers. If you want to call that an "impaled object" that is.

Also I recall something from the Brady book stating that one should remove a pencil through the cheek. Talk about specific.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I always got a laugh over the "obstructing CPR" exception :lol:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I always got a laugh over the "obstructing CPR" exception :lol:

Agreed. If they've got something impaled that's obstructing CPR and they're in arrest I call that an injury incompatible with life.

Mariemt

Forum Captain
Insect stingers. If you want to call that an "impaled object" that is.

Also I recall something from the Brady book stating that one should remove a pencil through the cheek. Talk about specific.
That's the book we had, however it says only if its causing an airway obstruction

Achilles

Forum Moron
Agreed. If they've got something impaled that's obstructing CPR and they're in arrest I call that an injury incompatible with life.

Basics can't pronounce though. So a basic would have to work it until a medic arrived.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Probably can when the foreign object is stationary (railing, length of rebar in concrete especially if too short to cut, etc.) and the time before arrival of help to properly cut the foreign object free is too long to save the pt.
I guess in those cases you are removing the pt from the impaling object.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Basics can't pronounce though. So a basic would have to work it until a medic arrived.

Basics cant pronounce, but they dont have to work them if they have signs incompatible with life

We were taught it can be removed if it obstructs the airway and would otherwise be viable

Last edited by a moderator: