Whats a good class for Peds and OB?

Hockey

Quackers
Because when it comes to these two categories, I get scared sheetless. I want to be more comfortable with these two. I've taken PEPP (Another version of PALS), but that didn't really help much.

Was wondering what other classes (free online would be great :D ) are out there?

18G

Paramedic
PALS in my opinion was pretty worthless... least the instructor I had. I have been wanting to take the PEPP class... was it an in depth class? Don't know of any others except NALS. I always try to keep an eye on the nursing con-ed classes at the community college. They a lot of times have good courses.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I've done PALS and PEPP. Both were ok... I'm doing EPC sometime in the paramedic program I'm enrolled in. STABLE is another course I'm curious about same as NALS.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
alphabet soup

I think you have to first define for yourself what your objectives are.

If you are looking for the 2 day "tell me what I have to do" for kids, PALS and PEPP are going to be roughly what you are looking for.

For newborns I have never taken NALS, nor do I know anyone who offers it. However I have been a content expert for NRP a few times over the last couple of years.

That is overseen by the Academy of Pediatrics and it was just updated last year. I think it has a good balance of knowledge and skills, but often very little discussion.

It also requires considerably more preperation than most people give the 2 day classes for so make sure you read the book.

From the comfort standpoint, I can't think of anything that really makes people comfortable other than experience. That might mean you have to spend some time with the hospital services that see them often.

Or...

You could just stay at a Holiday Inn Express. :)

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Because when it comes to these two categories, I get scared sheetless. I want to be more comfortable with these two. I've taken PEPP (Another version of PALS), but that didn't really help much.

Was wondering what other classes (free online would be great :D ) are out there?

Studying on your own time (preferably not out of paramedic text) and experince are going to be it. If your expecting to slide by with a couple of feebie quick PowerPoints it's not gonna happen.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Really, PALS is more centered around arrests. PEPP is more encompassing of emergencies and children.

But no one says you can only have one. I have PEPP and PALS, and want EPC and NRP. Granted they don't teach you much that you should't already know, but it never hurts.

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
PALS is a good class if taught right. It isn't an in depth patho type class, but it teaches you what you need to know to get them to definitive care. Also, I recommend taking it at a peds hospital if you can. Most PALS instructors have very little peds experience. Taking it at a peds center will make a huge difference in the quality.

STABLE is a good basic level class for neo. Again, not a patho overview, but it hits the basics. We used to teach these classes to the nurses at the referral EDs so they could get the basics taken care of while we flew out there to transfer the kiddo. Again, take it at a peds center if possible.

NRP is a notch above STABLE for neo. This is the card our transport team members had to carry. It is more in depth, and I wouldn't take it unless you have studied or have more than just a fleeting knowledge about neonates. You may not pass, and if you do, you likely just learned the test, and didn't tale away any substance. Again, take it at a peds center if possible.

For OB/GYN, short of doing a number of rotations in high risk L&D and getting exposure, there are not any classes to my knowledge that focus on that solely. A good understanding of the pathophysiology behind AP, PP, ectopic pregnancy, premature delivery, breach positions and corrective actions, tocolytics and uterine stimulants, and a few other details should give you a solid foundation for 90% of what you may encounter in the pre hospital setting. Monitoring and assessment of fetal heart tones shouldn't be overlooked either.

So, to wrap it all up, the card classes are about 10% of it. The other 90% comes from exposure, many many rotations with EXPERIENCED professionals (field trainers generally don't count for this, I'm talking people who have experience specializing in this kind of thing,) and lots of self study. If you have a peds specialty facility in your area, get in touch with someone from their transport team or ED, and ask about nursing con ed and possibly even grand rounds to see if it is ok for you to sit in. Since you would be auditing these lectures and not taking a seat, they may likely be free. However, without a good base of knowledge, they may be worthless.

Just my opinion on the matter...

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Yes, I completely overlooked PNCCT. I would make sure you have a very good knowledge base and experience before you consider taking that or CCEMTP. It will help you take a lot more from classes like those if you have a good foundation before you go in.

Not that I think you are trying to do this, but it frustrates me to see people going through as fast as they can getting card certs and instructor certs after having only a year or two of ALS experience. It defeats the purpose in my opinion...

End rant...

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
There is an Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics course.