Whatcha pocket?

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
I'm trying to get a good ANSI 3 vests for my First Responder group. The best ones I've found are surveyor's vests, they're the only ones with pockets and zippers.

The rule up here is that 55mph zone and over requires ANSI 3.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
I'm trying to get a good ANSI 3 vests for my First Responder group. The best ones I've found are surveyor's vests, they're the only ones with pockets and zippers.

The rule up here is that 55mph zone and over requires ANSI 3.

Ill take a picture of mine and post it sometime tomorrow. Im on the truck with just my phone today and tomorrow and work 12 hour nights.

Well nevermind, just looked ours is a class 2 vest. Ill still post it if youd like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Ill take a picture of mine and post it sometime tomorrow. Im on the truck with just my phone today and tomorrow and work 12 hour nights.

Well nevermind, just looked ours is a class 2 vest. Ill still post it if youd like.

Someday when we get the big money grants, I'd like to get light windbreakers for summer and 5.11 type jackets for the winter.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
Someday when we get the big money grants, I'd like to get light windbreakers for summer and 5.11 type jackets for the winter.

Were issued a medium weight jacket that doesnt do a whole lot for keeping you warm. Were also issued a rain jacket with matching pants thats good for rain and nothing else, no insulation or anything. Anything else you can buy once a year when they send out the memo saying their available.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
The funny thing is the reflective stuff on turnouts doesn't meet ANSI requirements if I remember correctly. They all have to wear a vest over their turnouts here. If I wear my Globe jacket rather than my rescue vest I have to wear a yellow ANSI vest over the jacket as well.

One would like to think it would be ANSI approved. I see both sides on this it is hard to fit the damn thing over your turnout coat but at night on some of the busy streets out here you want to be seen a mile away.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
One would like to think it would be ANSI approved. I see both sides on this it is hard to fit the damn thing over your turnout coat but at night on some of the busy streets out here you want to be seen a mile away.

It's not. Bunker gear has no fluorescent properties so it can't be certified for daytime use.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I carry some things and some stuff. Nothing unusual; shears, pens, sharpie, drug reference book, some business cards, and some other odds and ends. Leatherman with a little Ferber flashlight jammed into the case on my belt, along with a portable radio.

We don't post but I still keep a bag with my personal gear on the truck. It's got some ice spikes, winter gloves, hat, some boo boo supplies for me, pedi wheel, CAT tourniquet, mints, and probably some other junk. I keep the nice goretex ANSI jacket we're issued with it too.

However what's in the bag is not really as important as the bag itself. It's incredibly low drag, super high speed, and extra tactical. And can be purchased at Wal Mart.
je4y3yta.jpg

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Here are my first gig's tools:
early-hunting-and-gathering-tools.jpg

and carrying case !
il_340x270.556154700_cmt3.jpg

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Oh I carry a flashlight in my pocket too but I want one that I can put on my belt. Any suggestions?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Can I carry a gun with me on shift? I wanna do that! What kind of knife do you carry?

[\sarcasm]

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Oh I carry a flashlight in my pocket too but I want one that I can put on my belt. Any suggestions?

My gerber firecracker is a single AA little guy that's only slightly less bright than the "tactical" brands of the same size. And it's 20 bucks at REI.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I used to carry two and still do in my kit. An adequate LED for scene and nav, and a krypton bulb incandescent for assessment (doesn't distort color so much). The incandescent uses two AAs and the LED used the usual three AAAs.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
My surefire light got left on a scene. I bought two Cree "tactical" flashlights on eBay, with batteries and a charger for 20 bucks. I keep the extra in my truck and don't care if I lose one. Great light for like no money.

MDT2192

Forum Ride Along
POCKET: cell phone and spyderco pocket knife. One pair of extra gloves
BELT: it holds up my pants.... Nothing else
UNIFORM SHIRT: two pens
Everything else you need should be in ambulance or equipment you carry in on scene.... Don't be Ricky rescue

aricbel

Forum Ride Along
Front Left:Usually empty
Front Right:Chapstick and keys
Back Left:Gloves (appx. 5 pairs)
Back Right:Wallet and tactical pocket knife

Belt: Cell phone clip, Flashlight Ring holder, Radio when on duty.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Every few weeks or months I have that shift that makes me wish I still carried a fanny pack with all the extra odds and ends in it. It's dorky, but nice to have those random bits and pieces.

I'm pretty basic as far as what I carry: Narc and ambulance keys, phone, radio, shears, a pair of gloves, wallet, chapstick, pens, writing pad, nicotine (in one form or another).

My extra bag that hangs out in the ambulance is another story…. I carry a few OTC meds for myself (tums, immodium, ibuprofen, my BP meds), bandaids, various chargers, extra paper pads, pager, books, cough drops, snacks, water, extra box of gloves, deodorant, mouthwash, boot polish, boot brush… and a ton of bric-a-brac that comes in handy every once in a while.

ambo000

Forum Ride Along
There's a saying that the more things an EMT has on their belt, the newer they are in the job :)

Over time the novelty of being suited up with gizmos tends to ware off and you realize having various pieces of belt equipment stab you in the abdomen every time you go to sit down or bend over just isn't all that practical.

That said... I do carry trauma sheers on my belt to MVA's etc sometimes and always have gloves and my phone in my pocket... I try to stick to the bare essentials pretty much.

All the best!!

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Hi I'm a fairly new EMT and was wondering what you all carry in your pocket/on your belt while on shift? What do you feel is unnecessary to carry? Thank you!

Gloves, index cards, stethoscope, needle-resistant gloves, wallet, keys (at my paid job. Volunteer job they get left at the station), chapstick/Burt's Bees. Occasionally I'll carry a knife, though the vast majority of the time I don't. I used to carry shears on me, but now I generally don't (though sometimes I'll stick them in my rear belt loop between my pants and the belt). I carry a pen in my shirt pocket or in the front of my collar, depending on what I'm wearing. I also carry a watch, my ID, and a very small, flat flashlight on my ID for pupils, looking in mouths, etc. Phone goes on my belt, as does my radio when I'm carrying one. At my paid job I don't use a shoulder mic, at my volunteer one I do (though most nights I wish I didn't have to. The radios aren't great, so I can't hear them without the mic). Every so often I'll carry a flashlight. Basically, the less stuff I have to carry the better.

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
What I Carry in My Uniform Cargo Pants

Lots of gloves, Penlight Sometimes my stethoscope, but I usually wear it around my neck, because I want to do my lung sound assessments stat if I have SOB or Trauma call. I also carry carmex to help with foul odors. My EMT-B instructor told me to carry that along. Does anybody wear the pants with the reflective stripes on the pocket covers? I do, because sometimes I will forget to slip on my ANSI Hi-Viz vest on. Which is an OSHA requirement in a nighttime and in foggy weather and for on scene calls whether on the street or at night at a local establishment. :p:)

Last edited by a moderator: