What was your funniest call, heres mine !

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
As a FF, the first Combative Patient I got the "honor" of sitting on for the ride to the ED began his trip to by kicking the EMT out of the back of the Med Unit. A few restraints here, and a few there, and he was pretty much secure for the 25 minute ride.

So the medic is a big tall red haired hillbilly looking dude. And here I am sitting on this guys legs and our pt it screaming and spitting at the medic. Calling him everything but a white guy. Finally, the medic tells me to try to talk to him, see what happens.

So I reach up, touch his chin and say his name. He looks at me as if it was the first time ever seeing me there, and smiles. He has some of the nasties teeth, covered in blood I had ever seen (up to that point), and here comes the sweetness. "Oh baby, what you doing on top of me?" "Oh baby, I love a woman who likes to be on top." "Oh baby, when I get out of here you want to go out sometime?" And on and on and on and on. Every time the medic would say something, either to the pt, or his partner or calling the hospital, or to me....the Pt would start cursing and swearing and name calling again. Then he would look at me and apologize, and say how sorry he was I put "Us" (yep, by now we were an US) is this awful position. Before we left the ER he asked one of the nurses to let me know that he hopes to marry a girl just like me someday.

When we got back to the FD, the medic made sure to recount the entire incident to my crew. Right down to the whole marrying someone like me.

And I just really wanted to take a bath with Bleach and a Brill-O Pad.

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
This may only be funny to me but here ya go... Got a call to assist with a drug overdose/suicide attempt. Town we were helping had their one ambulance already out. So we get this gal in the rig and take off w/her swearing and very combative, the fun stuff!! :D Anyway the hospital we were taking her to employes my Dad as the head of the blood lab and he works in the emergency room as well. So we roll her in and I gave my info, (what little I could get) to my Dad, and then listened to this gal cuss him up one side and down the other while he was trying to get the rest of her info. We got quite a chuckle out of it as neither of us thought it happens very often that a Father/Son combo gets cussed at by the same woman in one day. Plus the fact I have never heard anyone rip into my father that way. Maybe ya had to be there... :lol:

40sCutest

Forum Lieutenant
Whenever I go with my mother to work at the hospitals her combative patients crack me up. I love seeing them yell at her because I know she'd never take it from me. It gets even better when they are nicer to me than they are to her.

cbdemt

Forum Lieutenant
I think I may have posted this before somewhere, but I'll post again.

I was doing my clinical with our local FD. We were called for an pt ETOH & Resp problems. On scene we found a female mid 40's on her couch screaming how she was going to die. So I'm thinking, where’s the resp problem? Anyway, this woman is a chronic asthma pt (been tubed 3x before). She felt an attack coming on so she took her meds, which weren’t helping. Then she tried a cocktail. She said her MD told her it may help to open her up. She tried another, another, and yet another. After her 4th double she’s in such a panic that she will go into resp arrest again that she didn’t realize she was breathing fine.

So she tells us that she wants to go to the hospital to die. We're trying to get vitals, and package her and she’s fighting us all the way. We load her, and I sit down on the jump seat beside her. She’s still fighting and yelling that she's "died 3 times, THREE TIMES!!!! JUST LET ME DIE, OOOOOOOOOOOH TAKE ME JESUS!!!" Then I said "mam, you're not going to die etc." She stops and looks at me, sits up off the cot, takes her O2 mask off, and says... "oooh you’re a cutie, I cant be dying in front of you... mm mm mm cute." The rest of the trip she laid quietly except for the occasional flirtation now and then.

I remember it like it was yesterday, psycho to 0 in .5seconds. I miss out on all the drunken fun now. The town I volley for is "dry" not a bar or bottle of beer for sale within 15 minutes.