What was your funniest call, heres mine !

reeltimesc

Forum Ride Along
:D I once went on a PI, extricated my patient, stabilized him on a board with C-collar and CID. Transported him to the ER only to realize upon arrival at the ER that I was still wearing my bedroom slippers. Can anyone top that ?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by reeltimesc@Dec 5 2004, 07:03 PM
:D I once went on a PI, extricated my patient, stabilized him on a board with C-collar and CID. Transported him to the ER only to realize upon arrival at the ER that I was still wearing my bedroom slippers. Can anyone top that ?
LOLOL. That's a good one.

I've put a peds NC on a grown man before, and despite everyone in the ambulance giving me weird looks, no one said a word. I was thinking to myself "Wow, these ALS rigs got that fancy NCs with the elastic in back."

I laughed about that one for a while, but nothing like yours.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Paged out to assist PD with a possible OD. While in route, we heard the officer get on his radio and start screaming for help. By this time, we were only a block away so we continued to assist. Upon arrival, PD was fighting with female pt and her dog. We assist PD in getting the pt restrained, and when she refuses medical treatment PD goes to handcuff her and the fight is on again. We finally get her hog-tied, and as we're carrying her to the PD cruiser, her dog comes up and bites her between the legs.

It didn't break the skin but it did startle her enough to let us put her in the cruiser without further incident. Needless to say, we had a hard time keeping a straight face on scene.

Since I was also the city Animal Control Officer at the time, it fell upon me to capture the dog for safekeeping. I ended up opening the door to my Chief's vehicle and the dog jumped right in, making capture easy.

cbdemt

Forum Lieutenant
We were called to a single car rollover in a cornfield, 6 pts, 1 DOA. (Graduation party gone bad). We are a volunteer squad. My friend rolls up on scene in her POV. We are all running through this cornfield behind 3 ambulances and god knows how many police cars. I look over and my friend is wearing a long john shirt boots and boxer shorts. When we got to the crash, our cpt told us to search the surrounding area and a nearby pond because only 2 of the pts (including the doa) bothered to stay on scene. We're over by the pond and my friend decides it would be a good time to put on some pants. As she is doing so, an officer walks up and tells her to put her hands on her head. After a quick explanation and some laughs we all went on about our business... she still hasn't lived that one down.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I think I might have told this story before, if not let me know and I'll expand on the details... but it involves a Target, a security guard, shredded pants, a face full of mace, bad ambulance driving and a somewhat successful attempt to flush out the security guard's eyes while speeding down a windy highway.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Dec 7 2004, 02:50 PM
I think I might have told this story before, if not let me know and I'll expand on the details... but it involves a Target, a security guard, shredded pants, a face full of mace, bad ambulance driving and a somewhat successful attempt to flush out the security guard's eyes while speeding down a windy highway.
I don't remember it, so do tell....

rescuecpt

Well....... we got a call for an "eye injury" at Target. I was doing ride-alongs with other crews at the Corps to get hours for my ALS class. It was the first time I was riding with Stu* and Joe* (*names have been changed to protect the innocent).

On the way to Target I'm running through all of the things I know about eye injuries in my head... if there's an impalement, leave it there, cover both eyes, etc etc. I figure something fell off a shelf and hit someone in the head. Boy was I wrong.

We get to Target and are shown into the security office. There are cops there, and there's a guy who's all red in the face pacing the cage. It looked like he was wearing a hula skirt. I stop in my tracks and ask the cop "what's going on". They tell me there was a shoplifter and some mace... I assume the guy is the shoplifter so I make the cop come with me. Turns out, he was undercover store security. He saw a woman come in whose "rap sheet" he had seen earlier in the week - a faxed security alert from another store. So he followed her and watched her put a couple prepaid cellphones in her coat pockets. He approached her, and she maced him. So then he lunged at her, and she bit him on the neck (and no, we're not in Transylvania), and somehow managed to rip his pants to shreds (getting a little somethin' somethin' while he tackles her to the ground I guess). So here's this 20 year old security guard, his mouth, nose, and eyes covered in mace, bleeding from a bite wound to the neck, pants ripped to shreds, laying on top of this lady. Other security guards came and apprehended her, and he was taken into the security office where they called us.

So he wouldn't go anywhere until the store brought him new pants (go figure) so he changed in front of me (yay! wait, no, TOTALLY not my type). We walk him to the rig and get him settled into the stretcher. We start pulling away and one of the store managers rips open the back door and says "wait, I need some pictures" and proceeds to mug shot the kid with a polaroid for "insurance and workers comp purposes".

On the way to the hospital, Joe and I decide to treat his wounds (gee, y'think?). I had a brain fart and didn't even consider spiking a bag and using the tubing to hose off his eyes... instead, we stick a bedpan under his chin and attempt to pour a bottle of NS down his eyes into the pan. Meanwhile, Stu is pretending he's never driven an ambulance before and bouncing us all over the place - one of the cabinets even opened up and I had to bat a box of gloves out of the way so it wouldn't hit the pt. While pouring the NS. Ooops.... need a couple towels. Then we ended up soaking some gauze and covering both eyes with them, then wrapping them in place with roller gauze. The guy looked like a war hero, but he said it was making him feel better. While he told us other harrowing security guard tales (no offense to the SG's out there), and how he'd get a meritorious transfer with one more capture, and how his dad is a police detective and was going to be so proud of him, we bandaged his neck, and I made Joe check his legs for additional bites/wounds. We put him on O2 for good measure (mace in the airway = not good). It was all we could do to not laugh hysterically, looking at this kid with his neck and eyes wrapped up, and a non-rebreather on his face. Only the tip of his nose and some hairs on top of his head were sticking out.

When we transferred him into the bed at the hospital, I told the nurse he was attempting to apprehend a shoplifter... He said "No, no no... I got her! One more and I get transferred to any Target I want!" (Mind you, he's still bandaged and he's waving one finger around in the air to emphasize "one more"!) We walked out to the ambulance bay and I almost peed myself laughing so hard. It's one of those stories that is hard to do it justice with words, but in 5 years it's the only one of it's kind.... :D

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
rescuecpt,

Best. Story. Ever.

:lol: :lol: That's great.

Summit

Critical Crazy
rescuecpt that is freakin hillarious!

I bet Target will award him the prestigious decoration: Order of the Mall Ninja :ph34r:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Summit@Dec 8 2004, 01:52 PM

I bet Target will award him the prestigious decoration: Order of the Mall Ninja :ph34r:
Stupid security guards. :eek:

rescuecpt

Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Dec 25 2004, 12:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Dec 25 2004, 12:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Summit@Dec 8 2004, 01:52 PM

I bet Target will award him the prestigious decoration: Order of the Mall Ninja  :ph34r:
Stupid security guards. :eek: [/b][/quote]
Harsh... care to try to start digging yourself out?

EDITED:

Ok, Just read one of the other posts... now I understand. HA. :p

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by PArescueEMT+Dec 25 2004, 03:29 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PArescueEMT @ Dec 25 2004, 03:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon@Dec 25 2004, 01:50 PM
Stupid security guards. :eek:
and what is it that you do again??? [/b][/quote]
<draws self to full height, puffs chest out to show gold badge> I'm a Site EMT. <Shrivels> They just make me knock on doorknobs to keep from being bored. :lol: ;) :rolleyes:

40sCutest

Forum Lieutenant
My funniest call, without question, happened on one of my oh so interesting Friday nights. Sitting around the station it was call 3 for the night which is more than we get most days. After my first heart attack and my first bad car accident I got my first drunk...

Our crew consisted of a close group of:

Driver/EMT
EMT
ME (EMT)
Attendant

This pt was completely wrecked. We got called to a potential overdose which just turned out to be worried parents. Either way he was drunk enough to need to be wheeled out so I guess they did the right think by calling us. I didn't even get to see him until we were in the ambulance because the room was so small.

The medic and I started working on the pt and he started to babble like most drunks do. He noticed that the medic was married and commented on how great that was. After all how nice would it be to be married when he and his girlfriend had just broken up?

Then the medic says something to me about another first... after all when you're new all you have are firsts. The pt then notices me... sitting working on vitals, making sure the line drips ok. Just doing my job. And he starts to shamelessly hit on me.

Normal guys are bad enough... Staring at your chest and giving you insane compliments about being the cutest ever and all that but drunks are worse. And being stuck in the back of a rig with one? Just imagine.

He tells me how pretty I am, how great it is that I'm not married, how lucky they are to work with such a pretty girl. Goes on and on. Of course our attendant isn't helping. The other EMT? Driving the rig and laughing!

When we got to the ER the staff, who I'm getting to know very well by the 3rd time in 4 hours, can't help but laugh at the pt who is still focused on me.

In the meantime the whole Fire House had heard about my ordeal and can't help but think that it is great. When I get back everyone is waiting to hear about my first drunk. Of course my partners have no problem filling in the answers to their questions, with full reenactment. Stumbling impression and all.

I'm so lucky to have such a close crew!!

rescuecpt

40's - I had a call similar to that, but luckily I remained in the Captain's chair and out of sight (doing crew chief things). But one of our EMT's, a 65 year old RN, wasn't so lucky. This drunk 30 year old hit on her shamelessly the whole way to the hospital. I think the only reason he didn't try to touch her was because the other EMT was built like a tank and threatened to squash him!

40sCutest

Forum Lieutenant
I'm not quite built that great. I was so embarassed!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by 40sCutest@Jan 23 2005, 06:32 PM
I'm not quite built that great. I was so embarassed!
This One time, at the Ambualnce Comapny......

I once had an approx. 40y/o Female, VERY altered, on a ED to Drug Treatment Center transfer. The pateint seemed very convinced that there was a fat naked guy lying on the bench seat. Now, remeber, I'm a little on the heavy side, but I was sitting in the Captains chair the whole hour-long ride except for the 3 times I was on the bench seat taking her B/P.

Patient was then refused by the treatment center, as they stated they were not an intensive, hospital based treatment center, and there was NO WAY the patient was CAOx4, as the sending physician had stated, plus the fact that she is drawing pictures in the air with her hands, and has NO CLUE where she is or was. Heck, I don't think we got a consistant answer on her name!

60 minutes later, we were compleatly refused by the facilities' Medical Director, who called the sending ED's attending and laughed at him, and then we went BACK into the city and dropped the patient off in the SAME ED, 3 hours later.

And this was my first day out of traing at my first paid EMS job. Gotta love Private Transport. ;)

Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Jan 23 2005, 09:31 PM
This One time, at the Ambualnce Comapny......
Long story short - I once had a patient see a fat naked guy on the bench seat. There was not fat guy on the bench seat for long periods of time, and I WAS NOT NAKED :lol:

Jon