What TV show spurred you to join EMS?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
No tv show/media got me into EMS. I remember when getting my immunizations and thinking that I would never go into the medical field cause I hate needles and unusual smells (still hate both). I took a First Responder class after my dad had a seizure and thought maybe it could be something for me since computer science wasn't working out for me. After the first couple of weeks of that class, I almost quit. I was dropped from medical terms for not showing up a couple of weeks and skipped a couple of First Responder. I am surprised I kept going cause at the time I thought it was the lamest class ever. The Italian Job made me want to be a hacker though (I was probably around 9 years old I think, it was the first DVD we ever bought and played). After watching that, I started tinkering with computers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
A tv show didn't get me into EMS, but it did get me into computer science. An event got me into EMS like it did for you. I guess my post isn't very organized.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
X-files.

Anjel

Forum Angel
ER and Third Watch

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
I remember watching COPS and Rescue 911 growing up and thinking it looked fun. A few friends in school had dads on the local vollie ambulance and fire dept and it was neat to watch them leave out for calls.

In high school I was interested in medicine but after graduating the thought of sitting thru 4 years of nursing school was not appealing and paramedic seemed like a nice alternative.

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
Uh... none of the above? I'm now 32.

I was inspired to become a vet tech by watching shows like Emergency Vets on Animal Planet. After I graduated, while trying to find a job, I was trying to think of ways to get volunteer experience, without going to an animal shelter. I've volunteered with a shelter in the past, but had to stop since I kept taking animals home with me. Then the idea occurred to me that animals are affected by house fires just like people are. So I took a copy of my resume, and walked up to the fire chief and told him I'd like to sign up.

Once through the doors, they said they actually had a need for more women on the EMS side. So since I want to be useful, I started spending my time with the EMTs. Two years later I go to school to be an EMT. I still want to eventually become an emergency vet tech, but I'll take what ever opportunities come my way.

So that's the round-about way I ended up where I am.

Last edited by a moderator:

EMSmom911

Forum Ride Along
Does MASH count? Would run from school so I could watch it. Even made me want to join the army. Didn't though. Tell everyone I'm 31 but really 41.:sad: And no one in my family is remotely interested in EMS besides me.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Rescue 77? I was waiting for that one. Ah, Ms Monaghan...;)

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Never watched any TV shows about EMS or fire while growing up. None of my family are in EMS, Fire, or PD. I am an odd ball lol.

What got me interested was watching the live broadcast of 9/11 in 4th grade (I think it was 4th).

4TH GRADE?!?! Thank you. Thank you very much for making me feel absolutely ancient.

I'm second generation, which is how I got into it.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Holy cow. Even I was in 7th grade.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm 45 and Emergency and MASH were some TV shows that inspired me to go into EMS. Also My late Mom was a nurse for a long time as well as 2 of my aunts were also nurses.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
It was totally Trauma, bro. That show was sick. That show was wicked accurate about EMS. Now, time to hit the gym, with my LACoFD fan T-shirt and L.A. City shorts on. I'm sexy and I know it. Hella awesome!

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Uh, okay then.

cranialnerve

Forum Ride Along
There is a new show on called "The Untold Stories of the ER". It's a dramatization using actors and some real providers. Some of the cases really get me laughing, and at the same time, it is fun to trying and figure out the cases before they reveal the definative diagnosis.

Medic2409

Forum Lieutenant
Watched both M*A*S*H and Emergency! as a child, and am now facing turning 40 in June.

Plus, as posted elsewhere, my dad's best friend was a firefighter when I was a child. I've alway's been fascinated by the fire service, not just the fire side of the job, but the helping of others facet. If not for an accident as a child that left me mostly blind in one eye, I would have gone in the military as a teenager, with life plans to be a Medic/Firefighter once I left.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Never watched any TV shows about EMS or fire while growing up. None of my family are in EMS, Fire, or PD. I am an odd ball lol.

What got me interested was watching the live broadcast of 9/11 in 4th grade (I think it was 4th).
This did a lot for me as well, though I don't think I knew it at the time.

4TH GRADE?!?! Thank you. Thank you very much for making me feel absolutely ancient.

I'm second generation, which is how I got into it.

Fifth grade for me...

firecoins

IFT Puppet
ER is in reality the closest. But I have come to find out EMS was more like Seinfeld.