What the H

LoneStarSoldier

Forum Crew Member
I've been an EMT as this ambulance company since July 18th, and since that time I've been on only three shifts. The way they handle new people is put them on "Third Rider" status. Basically it's an orientation period where you ride along with a two-man crew and learn the ropes. Your third shift is supposed to be with the FTO who ultimately signs off on you being someone's partner. I worked three shifts one week and called in to ask when I'd work next and was told that they weren't having third riders on shifts all week (OK) so I called in at the beginning of this week and was told the same exact thing. I don't know what the deal is, or even if I'm the only one this is affecting but I'd appreciate a little information as to what is going on and when (or even if) I work next. Nobody can give me a good answer and very few people are even answering my calls. Can anyone tell me what I should do? I'm willing to deal with a little flak as a new guy but this is bordering on unprofessional.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Depending on who you work for it might just be an internal meltdown of some sort. You get 2 or 3 key people who call in sick or quit/get fired and the first thing that generally gets screwed is the incoming new gus like you. Is this an established company or a smaller start up?

OP
OP
LoneStarSoldier

LoneStarSoldier

Forum Crew Member
I don't want to betray company privacy in any way but I will say that it is an ambulance company in my current city and, no, they have been here quite some time.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
PM me, LoneStar. I might have some intruiging options. I also know who you're talking about.

OP
OP
LoneStarSoldier

LoneStarSoldier

Forum Crew Member
Just a quick update for anyone who's interested. I called the fleet manager and apparently the decision to put 3rd riders' shifts on hold was the company owner's so the manager's hands are kinda tied. At this point, I'm getting more frustrated. There isn't really anyone I can talk to about my situation (which supports my theory that I'm the only one that this is effecting) and meanwhile my bills aren't going anywhere even though my hours working is still 0. I'm going to try to find out more tomorrow and if they still tell me that there won't be any shifts for 3rd riders, that'll mark three weeks they haven't allowed me to work. As much as I really want to keep this job and to stay in the EMS field to gain experience, this is too much to put up with. If I can't get hours with this job, I think it's high time I look something where I can.

clibb

Forum Captain
Find a job at another agency. During my Field Training they scheduled me 4 shifts a week and yes I got paid the overtime. They paid for IV training, lunch, dispatch training, etc. They wanted me to get through as soon as possible to get on the streets.