what Knife do you carry on duty?

NJN

The Young One
AAAAC5MJb20AAAAAAAO_Mg.jpg

Never use it on patients but always helpful when the chinese place forgets to include the plastic utensils.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
235377.jpg

"The Eatensil is designed to be an all-in-one Swiss army knife of cutlery for fast food fans. It comprises of a pizza cutter, wooden chip fork, chopsticks, bottle opener and for the old fashioned, a fork,knife and spoon."

("Chip"means "French Fry", or "Pomme Frits")

74restore

Forum Crew Member
yhst-16507483819514_2184_124837111.gif

15 bucks from Rescuetees.com. Good quality knife and they have great customer support. First knife was malfunctioning and they sent me a new one right away free of charge, without even wanting the old product back.

I just got the same one today! Mine works great and it's a great knife for the price

tnoye1337

Forum Crew Member
I just got the same one today! Mine works great and it's a great knife for the price

Yeah, it's a good knife. The only problem I had with it is it broke about a week into using it and wouldn't spring open. Also the blade isn't the sharpest, so take a stone to that bad boy.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
235377.jpg

"The Eatensil is designed to be an all-in-one Swiss army knife of cutlery for fast food fans. It comprises of a pizza cutter, wooden chip fork, chopsticks, bottle opener and for the old fashioned, a fork,knife and spoon."

("Chip"means "French Fry", or "Pomme Frits")

This appears far more useful to EMS than most "duty knives."

mycrofft

Just replaced my prime pocket knife lost to Dubai's version of TSA (nice lady in hibjab with a milk crate). Victorinox Hunstman.
huntsman-penknife.jpg
However, it cost six dollars more ($39) than the last one I bought six months ago. Also, the plastic bolsters seem thinner. Otherwise, same same.
I miss my original (from Pappy in 1966).
Over forty-five years carrying them (four so far): cut a sapling down with the saw to lever my truck out of a ditch, carved chopsticks to eat in then field and retrieve stuff out of holes, instantly improvised male tips on oxygen tubing, removed foreign objects from under the skin, shaved (once), dissected a Necator worm in anatomy, and opened most of my bottles of wine because the older (not current) model of corkscrew was superior. Etcetera.

mycrofft

Vic's can opener trump's Wenger's. But yeah.

EMT John

Forum Crew Member
The best knife I have ever owned is the Gerber fast draw, serrated. I bought this blade back in 2006. Carried it full time on the ambulance and commercial fishing vessel. I have probably sharpened 3/4 of an inch off of it in the 6 years I've had it. Still razor sharp & strong knife. This thing has cut everything from belts and straps to deck line and rockcod.

I can't stand these fancy fangled "knifes" that people are getting that have all these gadgets that they rarly use. Then once it gets used it breaks. You can do it all with a regular knife.

greenmountains

Forum Crew Member
what Knife do you carry on duty?
I am thinking about getting a spyderco Rescue 79 mm for my own graduation gift. I am already a knife knut and I know it is a good knife but would you recommend it for a soon to be EMT-B?
C45OR_M.jpg
The blade shape is ideal but the price!!! Yes, the jokes about PB&J are right. Mostly you will use it to make lunch. I use mine a lot when working in places like summer camps to open supplies and boxes, mail, etc. It helps not to have something that looks sinister since sometimes the patients scream in terror. I had one kid let out a strangled cry of fear when he saw my shears. Of course they were in a leather sheath so maybe he thought they were a gun! The other kid present laughed. What would he have done if I pulled out a knife that was spring assisted and looked like a murder weapon?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I carry a Raptor and a "Joe's Steel" out the front knife.