what Knife do you carry on duty?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Alright fun and games aside do any of you actually use your knife while on duty? Our units have a toolkit in them that has a random assortment of pliers and what not if I randomly need to pry on something. With that said, extrication is not my job, that is all fire. These "clothes cutter" contraptions look downright sketchy and scary to a patient who more than likely is already terrified.

If I need to cut something shears work just fine and if they really wont work see my previous post on page 9 or I'll ask a handy dandy firefighter to borrow their leatherman but I haven't run into a situation yet where I needed anything other than my shears.

Joe

Forum Captain
honestly i just use mine to pry open the doors that are broken in the back of the rig. and the key hole on the battery box. also makes a decent copenhagen can opener ;)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
also makes a decent copenhagen can opener ;)

Touche salesman. My shears do too though :p That's a very rare occasion though.

Joe

Forum Captain
yea usually thumbnails work but i have made the mistake of trimming my nails too short.. also, anything that would ever touch a pt and doesnt get sterilized often doesnt touch my dip

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
My partner used his Buck knife.

Cut the carpet around a trapped patient's foot where the floor had folded up around it after being T-boned, lifted everything right out while FD was setting up to dissect the car. Shears are usually the best. Also, the less chance to cut yourself, the less chance to pick up something nasty.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Alright fun and games aside do any of you actually use your knife while on duty? Our units have a toolkit in them that has a random assortment of pliers and what not if I randomly need to pry on something. With that said, extrication is not my job, that is all fire. These "clothes cutter" contraptions look downright sketchy and scary to a patient who more than likely is already terrified.

That depends how you define on duty. I use my leatherman at work fairly often, but never in any sort of patient care sense. I don't keep it on my belt or anything, heck I don't have shears on me 75% of the time. I use the screwdrivers a lot for "fixing" the ambulance (ie reconnecting the loudspeaker so my partner can heckle his friends) or getting latches and other parts of the truck to stay closed. The knife is handy for opening chip bags when I am stymied by the damn bag. That's pretty much it...

Sent from my out of area communications device.

pa132399

Forum Crew Member
i carry a gerber assited opening knife ive used it to cut side curtain air bags, and a seat belt that was nowhere near the patient other than that it makes a good paper weight. rarely use it unless im bored and then i end up accidently nicking my finger so its just along for the right in my pocket.

tydek07

Forum Captain
I carry a Leatherman. The most used item on it? The screwdriver.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Tyler! Long time no see man!

I don't carry a knife. I'd hurt myself.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Spedz

Forum Probie
Awesome

"I heard someone is entrapped..."[/QUOTE]

Awesome that made my day and I carry a S&W knife everyday and I am sure that wont change when i get my EMT either unless the company I work for wont allow it and sorry I didn't quote the pic as well not enough posts.

I carry a Leatherman Crunch, and while I'm not actively working in the field at the moment, it does come in handy on a routine basis!

I'm also considering the Victorinox Swiss Army Rescue Tool, I was really surprised to see what they do with it in the presentation video. Problem is, I really hate the color...

rescue-tool_a.jpg

I believe they offer the Rescue Tool with black handles now.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
The Victorinox video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zApUSw0xsRY

I've carried their Army Officer's knife since my grandpappy gave me his when I was age 13. I'm on my fourth now (45 years later), lost three and one was stolen.

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
thanks!

I'm glad I came across this thread. I'm considering getting a knife w/the belt cutter & glass breaker. I realize I am an IFT EMT and I may never use it, but I might go onto FF, who the hell knows. Anyway, I want one! My diesel mechanic fiance makes fun of me for it, but hey, he owns half of Snap On and his fishing closet is insane, so...I can have toys too! Having read this thread, I can see that a lot of people just go with trauma shears. I need to grab a pair of those. I am definitely not shelling out the $100+ for Spyderco knives! A co-worker said he got his on budk.com. I was looking @ this
http://budk.com/Pocket-Knives/Ridge-Runner-EMT-Rescue-Folder

I hate the orange though...

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
oh yes...I like...and it opens REAL fast with the spring assisted opening :cool: