What kind of EMT are you?

What kind of EMT are you?

• I'm here to save your ***, not kiss it.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I go the extra mile, with a smile.

Votes: 25 62.5%
  • Other?

Votes: 10 25.0%

• Total voters

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I suspect this will vary based on IFT, 911, and geographic region of work.

Which EMT are you?

1) "I'm here to save your ***, not kiss it."
2) "I go the extra mile with a smile."
3) Other. Discussion required. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief

Which EMT are you?

I have no idea what any of these imply or insinuate so I guess that makes me "Other"?

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief

Which EMT are you?

#2, until you anoy me asking for/complaining about stupid things, then I turn into #1

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Here you go Clare.

I'm here to save your ***, not kiss it.
Like in a restaurant, you take their order, you serve them, you ring them up, but that's it. If they don't like something, too bad.

I go the extra mile with a smile.
You take their order, you serve them, and you ring them up. If they don't like something, you'll do whatever you can to help them.

I voted other. I think most people do both, and it just changes with the date, the time, the partner, the patient, and what the patient requests.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Here you go Clare.

Like in a restaurant, you take their order, you serve them, you ring them up, but that's it. If they don't like something, too bad.

You take their order, you serve them, and you ring them up. If they don't like something, you'll do whatever you can to help them.

I voted other. I think most people do both, and it just changes with the date, the time, the partner, the patient, and what the patient requests.

Thank you dear :)

I think I am a little of both; certainly you cannot do the job without a large degree of empathy, understanding, patience and some sort of genuine desire to care for and help people

In saying that, said empathy and desire to help people gets ground down, especially on long shifts without adequate breaks, constantly being given calls which are absolute rubbish and dealing with the public.

I never hated people until I started having to deal with them I tell you ...

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Not an EMT

But I think it really depends on how busy or how tired I am.

The mechanics of medicine, from taking a history to doing procedures is basically trained into me. It takes very little effort or energy.

However, my people skills degrade after about 24 hours and when really busy, in the interest of efficency, courteous and will do something to help only if it takes little effort.

When I haven't eaten in a while I can get really nasty. So keeping me fed and watered is more important than keeping me rested.

Otherwise, I try to be pleasant with the patients and talk to them at a bit more lenght or go the extra mile.

I have noticed that the more education I go through and the longer I work the more patients and understanding I have for people. Especially for people who have more difficult circumstances like alcoholics, crazy old people, etc.

Perhpas I have just come to terms that these are the people we are here for. Fine upstanding citizens go to the GP and probably will never have an emergency medical problem in their lives.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't save people.

And I certainly don't go the extra mile because in EMS it's more likely to get me in trouble somehow than it is to benefit me, as it would anywhere else.

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
I go the extra mile I suppose. The good old saying of "how would you want your mom to be treated/cared for" has always stuck with me. I consider myself very compassionate in the ambulance.

Of course nobody's perfect though

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Former.:cool:

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
The worst calls are where you've got a lovely elderly person who didn't call 12 hours prior when the abdominal and back pain started, but now is calling because he's having difficulty breathing...and it's a AAA that ruptured. If he had called earlier, surgical intervention might have saved him (at least, quoth the medic who told me that the patient died an hour or so after we transferred care at the ED).

It must be a generational thing. Younger folks and people who just plain don't take care of themselves often call for minor problems or exacerbations of chronic (often preventable) conditions.

Hence, I put down "Other." I'll always go the extra mile for my favorite people -- the Greatest Generation – and will be pleasant to everybody else.

Last edited by a moderator:

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
I put extra mile because the nearest hospital is 35 minutes away, so I do what I can to make them comfortable, if possible.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Both. Depends why they called. Who they are(if the called 911 29 times this month and I we t there 24 times), my mood, etc.

I am never mean to patients. But sometimes, I don't go the extra mile.

But on certain calls, I'll hold their hand, find extra blankets, put a pillow under them if they have decub ulcers, call a family member for them, make them something to eat if we take them home, and no one will be there for a while.

The longer I have worked the lower my BS tolerance has gone. But I still have compassion.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
As stated i can be both

There are times when my attitude is "Get in the :censored: truck"
Mainly the frequent caller who doesnt follow her doctors orders isnt compliant with meds, demands a certain treatment, ect

But then i have actually made a whole meal for a patient who was recently diagnosed with diabetes and had trouble with his new insulin pump, was unfamiliar with the disease and i think got little info from his doctor. We got his sugar up, made some sandwiches ect

Youngin

Forum Crew Member
Premium Member
I'd say both. Depends on the call, the patient's attitude, and how much food/sleep I've gotten. :p I'm generally a pretty nice guy, but as someone else said, I have a pretty low tolerance for BS. I mean, how many of you are all smiles when you get toned out at 0300 for toe pain that's been lasting for 8 days?